Old 01-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/180/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Too big to jog/run??

I weigh 237. I started a couch to 5k program recently. Today was my first jogging experience. I walked 27 mins and jogged 3 minutes. I'm supposed to do this 3x this week, then increase the jogging little by little until I can jog 30 minutes (supposed to be able to by the end of week 12 I think it is). Anyway, my knees and hips aren't happy with me. Any other runners out there? What weight did you start jogging at? Do you think there's any danger in jogging at this weight? thanks for any replies!!!
cryan313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Hi Cryan, congrats on becoming a runner! I assume you're referring to the C25K program on coolrunning.com. I did the C25K program myself last fall, and I started when I was at a higher weight than you are currently at, so it can be done. You will feel some aches and pains as you ask your body to do things it hasn't done before, but just make sure that you follow the program and allow for recovery on the off days - it will get better over time, I promise.

Make sure that you are wearing the right shoes - if you haven't done so already, I would highly recommend going to a real running store and asking for a professional fitting. They will make sure that your shoes are appropriate for your body type and feet. Shoes can make a huge difference in how your joints feel.

Finally, make sure that you listen to your body - if you ever feel "sharp" pain (as opposed to a dull ache), you should stop immediately. And if you feel like you need to repeat a day or a week before you move on to the next level, do so - everyone is different, and it may take more time to build to the next step.

Hope you decide to persevere. Before I did the C25K program, I never thought I would be a runner, but I have found running to be a great stress reliever and really have learned to enjoy it.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

cryan, I started jogging back in September when I weighed nearly 250. My knees KILLED me at first, and so did my hips. My hips still bother me sometimes, but the knee pain went away after a week or two. I actually iced my knees after each run for the first few times. I can't tell you if it's dangerous, really, because I'm no doctor, but I can tell you that I'm VERY glad I kept at it. I did my own version of the C25K program, and I progressed pretty quickly from my 5-minute jogging intervals to 10, then 15, and then running for 20 or 30 minutes. Now I run for 35 minutes at least three times a week and I plan to progress further, especially as I lose more weight. It took me a while to get from 2-minute intervals to 5-minute ones, but after that something clicked and I had much more endurance, especially because the knee pain was gone.

I strongly encourage you to visit the Exercise forum and post on the Advice on Becoming a Runner thread. That's where people post about their experiences as beginning runners, and most of us have done the C25K program or some variation of it. Check it out! And keep at it -- you can do it!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Besides icing, be sure to stretch. While my aches and pains are more from my age than my weight anymore, I find that stretching before and after I run helps ease the soreness in the hips and thigh area. The kind of surface you run on makes a difference, too. Cool Running lists surfaces in order of impact to your joints--a good read.

Also, building up your leg muscles (quads in particular if your knees are hurting) by weight lifting is a good idea. Once I started doing that, then my knees felt much better. I also wear a brace, but that's because I have an existing knee condition.

Running really helped my body "lean down" plus it's fun to run in 5K races (the first one is terrifying, but exciting!), and perhaps you can even be like our superstar, Goddess Jessica, and do a triathalon!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/179/140

Height: 5'5"

This is something I have yet to tackle..although I 'run' on the elliptical. I started to run back in October but didn't keep at it. I would like to transition to outside again but going to wait until its not snowing anymore..then I'll giv'r a go. I've bookmarked the site coolrunning.com and will attempt this one again.

Although the info was not for me..thanks for sharing!
Paborsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #6  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I started jogging at the end of October 2006 on the sidewalk down a stretch of town that is 1.2 miles there and back (I was about 235 pounds). I alternated one block with one block jogging, and did it 3-4 times a week. 10 Weeks later I am still at it, I keep a journal on what works for me and what doesn't and what I have read in my Joggers Log... I have learned.

1.Have good shoes! Not just any shoes... (i'm sorry they may be costly) but ones for overweight runners. They make all the difference by putting extra shocks in places that heavy people are more likely to hurt with the exertion. I also learned that if pain becomes an issue to lay off jogging and do more walking than running. It feels good to push yourself more than you ever have- but if it sets you back to the beginning there was not real accomplishment.

2. Rhythmic breathing is zen, even if you sounds like you are practicing breathing for labor. Breathing deeply through the nose and exhale -exhaling in sounds like (hee or whooo) cuts down on side-stitches.

3. STRETCH! STRETCH! Concentrate on your legs.

4. When jogging and your arms are bent at your sides and your hands are in something like a fist- only move them back and forth motions, like a locomotive. Cutting across your torso is an unnecessary movement that only adds stress to your shoulders and back and may causes fatigue.

5. Don't fear walking breaks. They aren't a sign of weakness and even advanced runners utilize them to get more distance and jog farther. Example: Jogging 30 minutes until you can't move Vs. Jogging 20, recuperating with five, jogging 20, recuperating, and jogging. (or whatever your goal time for running is)

6. Vary routines. One day jog a mile straight, day two jog up a hill to add muscles, day three... run a shorter distance.. but run harder to build endurance. Each is a great work out that gives you great benefits, but they are just pieces to a whole.

7. Water. Drink it.

If there isn't a medical problem that will be aggravated but jogging, then it is a wonderful workout that really reminds you how powerful your body can be. It is quite an accomplishment, and does wonders for lower body toning and shedding weight of the gut.

*This information is just out of my journal and compiled from my own experiences and those I have read.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I've attempted the c25k two times in the past and was a much higher weight than you (more like 270). Both times I've ended up PG in the middle of it. I'm waiting until I get a bit more strength and endurance before I start it again. I'm thinking around March.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #8  

Thank you all for the encouragment! I am going to press on. My goal is to complete a 5k in June. Even when I was thin I never jogged or worked out much at all for that matter. This is so exciting to me! I'm off to look for good shoes!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #9  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

cryan313~

thanks for posting this...I've started the first week of the c25K plan about four times in the last year, and have given up every single time...this year want to run a 10K by june, and the 5K is my halfway point. If you ever want to chat about being a beginner runner/jogger let me know...
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just can't believe you people are jogging at such weights. I commend each and every one of you. I'm first learning how to WALK again after being 287 lbs for sooo long. I can't even imagine attempting to jog, yet alone run. I don't know. I just don't know. More power to you ladies. You're really amazing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Ooh, I'm glad I popped in here tonight. I started running at 260lb. Or at least I started running before I weighed myself and found out I was 260lb. I entered a 1 mile fun run, tried (ha ha!) to run that, then joined a gym a couple of days after the run once I'd realised how unfit I was, and got weighed on my induction. I didn't start running again immediately, but I did before too long, and by the time I ran my first 5k I was down to about 220lb - and I'd been running for a good few months before I got to that stage. Now I'm a "proper" runner (whatever that means), with a running club membership card in my wallet and a marathon under my belt (with another one coming up in May).

If you want to do it, go ahead, but take care. Get yourself fitted for proper shoes, and make sure you build up steadily. You won't be able to run that far at first, but if you build up bit by bit using something like C25K it's amazing how quickly you progress. Walking will be an essential part of your plan at first, but not only is it perfectly acceptable, interval training is a fab workout anyway

I'm really not exagerating when I say that running changed my life. I wanted to run for years and thought that I had to lose weight first, one day I realised that I could start to run and that starting would help me lose the weight in the first place, and I never looked back from there. OK, it causes knee problems in some people, but I'd rather take that risk than risk never getting to old age because I'm 100lb overweight.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #12  

YP1 that is awesome! All of the runners are so inspiring. I don't know if it's endorphins or what but I am feeling awesome, and a bit empowered that my body can do it. Even if it's just 3 minutes at a time. By the way, any specific shoe recommendations from anyone? I live in the sticks and will probably have to buy off the internet. Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43 View Post
I've attempted the c25k two times in the past and was a much higher weight than you (more like 270). Both times I've ended up PG in the middle of it.
I was thinking of starting this after this second baby comes, but if it comes with an increased risk of pregnancy...yikes, maybe not! Just kidding!

Seriously, I plan to get back to brisk walking this summer and then start the C25K program in the fall. I'll repeat weeks as needed so it'll probably take me longer to complete.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi,

I've been reading this thread with interest! Thanks for all the contributions. My aim this year is to run a 10k having never ran before. I was putting off starting training as I'm currently 223lbs but have tested myself running for a few mins at a time and I think I'm definitely fit enough to start. It's just I thought I'd have to get some more weight off before I did. I'm starting to think maybe I should just get out there having read your posts!

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I'm so excited! As you can see by my user name, I want to run in marathons. I used to run 5 miles a day...of course, this was years ago and 120 lbs lighter. I always thought I'd run again one day and I had planned on trying the C25k plan, but thought I'd have to wait until I lost a lot of weight so I didnt blow out my knees.

I do have a couple of questions if you dont mind....How much do you think age might figure into being able to run at this weight...does it make a difference? I'm 42 now. Reddalice, you mention running shoes for overweight people. I never knew they existed. Can you tell me where to find them...are they in the sports stores or do you have to order them? And, what do you ask? "Where are the shoes for the bigguns?" Seriously, I'd like to look into buying some, just not sure what to ask for or what brands.

Thanks everyone...I'm really jazzed! If it wasnt so late, I'd start the program tonight.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote