Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #16  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russiandoll View Post
I've added a link to my progress pics in my signature: hope this isn't violating any of the group rules
WOW you look great! What a difference!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had been having a really bad couple of years. Each year I was able to do less and less physically. Walking for any length of time was out of the question. I was barely able to fit into clothing at the plus-sized stores. While in the mall one day I passed a darkened storefront and saw myself in the reflection and I was soooo wide. Amazing how I didn't see it in my mirror. Things were just happening one after another. My children were getting of an age where my being a grandmother is not that far off. And I wanted to be a fit, healthy, active participant in their lives. 50 years old was in the not so far off future (I'm 43) and I knew that there were not too many 50 year olds walking around my size. Everyday I was more and more miserable. I simply was not living, so therefore I must be dying. I was barely existing.

And then one day while at a restaurant, where I was stuffed into a booth chowing down on some chinese food, in walked an acquaintance of mine who was rail thin. And just a year prior she was my size. I later learned she was 2 lbs heavier then me, of course 4 inches taller, but nevertheless. We have since become fairly good friends. Seeing her was my lightbulb moment. It WAS really possible for someone my size to lose all the weight and here she was standing in front of me. This was not some story in a magazine or someone on Oprah. This was real life. She did it. So for goodness sake why couldn't I? And the only answer I could think of was - I CAN.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-07-2007 at 12:31 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I am motivated by the success stories I read on here. I have been coming to this site since January of last year, and some of you folks, wow!!! I also have my 25th class reunion coming up this year, and I want to look good there, ( I don't have to be thin, but, I DO want to be in shape anyway). I also have horses, and show in the summertime, I remember last year at one show, I had 4 horses in 4 different classes ( all halter classes, where you walk and run beside your horse to show their conformation and movement). Well, usually they shuffle the classes, so there is one pleasure type class, then one stock type class, last summer they didn't, I had one class after another to run my horses into ( different horses one class piled up on top of each other). I had someone grabbing the horse from me as I exited the gate and someone else holding a horse at the in gate as I quickly changed my jacket ( had to of course have a different number for each horse...), well, I was running my butt off ( I have Arabians, and they have BIG movement, takes everything I have to make these short stubby legs to keep up with them). I was exhausted, by the 4th class, and just looked at the judge and said " you gotta be kidding me!!" I tried to run my best, but, nonetheless it was far from perfect, I was stumbling and my horse was insecure from my inability to keep my feet! That won't be happening to me ever again!! I WILL be in shape for the next show season!!! I also have a 5 yr old stallion, that I want to be able to start, ( training for riding) and at the size I am now, I won't be agile enough to not get hurt if I get dumped... that is a great motivator!!! I am healthy fortunately, but, I want to be healthy for many more years to come, and with my weight, I doubt I can be as active as I have been. No more!!! I am determined to be a success story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
luckyducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 307/179/140

Height: 5'5"

FYI..I had previously posted this on introductions but think its fitting for this post...

Hi there. My name is Michelle. I stumbled on this website a few months ago and perused through but didn't sign up right away. Last weekend I perused again and found some pretty inspiring stories. I thought I would share my trials and tribulations with you too.

March 2005 I was at my all time high, 307 pounds and on a 5'5" frame. I have three very active boys so you can imagine how tough it was on me. On March 16, 2005, my oldest son came home and told me something that changed my life forever. I know kids are cruel, I was a chubby kid, they always tease you. But what I never thought about was that kids would be teasing my son because of me. It ripped my heart out and the very next day I went to Herbal One and signed a 6 mth contract to lose weight. Well long story short, I lost 60 pounds with their help and my will power. I also started working out with a friend which improved my inch loss greatly. In October that same year, I joined the gym and have never looked back. Currently I have lost 128 lbs and still need to lose about 32 lbs more. I don't really know what my goal weight would be as its been so long since I've been this current weight so I continue to move forward. I figure I will know when I get there. When others ask me how I did it and how I keep it off, I simply say its a lifestyle change. Nothing quick will work, its all perseverance and hard work. Sorry can't sugar coat it. It took me a long time to get that heavy so its going to take me time to take it off (believe me, it took me a good swift kick to realize this). Currently I am doing my second challenge with the BodyforLife Program. Anyway, I thought I would share.
Paborsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

You're inspiring, Michelle!
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #21  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Wow Michelle...what a story of success. Your story made me sad, because I have two boys, and can just imaine what can be said about me. I knew I was really upset when my then 5 year old told me that I was fat. "your really, really fat momma!" It was totally innocent...and it is true, I am fat...but it still stung to hear that.

Anyhoo, I never had that "aha" moment that some people talk about. There were so many signs that my body has had enough. Too many to list. But, I know I need a change....and I am working on it!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I also had several moments that should have jumpstarted (& they did temporarily) my weight loss. Terrible shopping trips, traumatic special events, broken stools (twice!) & not fitting into any of the kayaks in front of my girl guides.

But last winter I had another major depressive episode. It came out of the blue & hit me harder than ever. I was one weekend away from committing myself to the hospital when my doc added another med - which gave me enough of a boost to start getting out of bed. In the spring when my head was clearer I tried to take stock & really look at what was going on.

My depression has been ongoing for 11 years. It is definitely an organic condition - not caused by anything in particular. But even knowing this & suffering for so long I did not take a lot of the information in the many books I read very seriously. So it was time to start.

I made a decision to do everything within my power to keep from having another major episode. I started seeing a new psychiatrist, joined the gym - again, joined herbal magic.

I know being thin is not going to magically cure my depression but the healthier habits & better self-esteem certainly is not going to make it any worse.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #23  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I then looked in the mirror and excepted the fact that at almost 240lbs I was no longer just overweight I was technically considered in the eyes of the medical community as obese and fast on the heels of morbidly obese.
Oh ya. That was another big kicker for me. I wasn't plump, thick, chubby, etc. I was obese! I've always hated that word; it's so ugly. Definately another lightbulb moment.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote