Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Nice idea. I like reading about the "oldbies" as much as the newbies.

My name is obvious, and now that Glynne wrote her age, I'll say that I'm 53, and have a blended family of four children in their early 20s to mid-30s. My avatar is my incredibly wonderful granddaughter, who turned six years old last fall. Since she wasn't expected to live at all, turning six is truly amazing. I'm a native Seattleite, but have lived in northern Colorado, Idaho (Boise), and am truly happy in this wonderful town in Oregon.

Started my weight loss journey in October 2002 by going to Weight Watchers, and I plan to keep on losing until my name is on the One Hundred Pound Losers list (see sticky above), and hopefully beyond to my personal goal. While I lost about 60 lbs. in the first 18 mos., I persisted and am still working on it. Originally I had a goal to lose 100 in a year. It's certainly doable--but not for me. When I didn't reach that goal, I could have given up, but decided I didn't care how long it took, but I did care that I didn't quit.

I've become an exercise junkie, going to the gym for almost two hours a day about six days a week. My body now craves it, and it certainly helps me maintain when I haven't been so good in the eating department. I've really learned a lot by coming to 3FC and reading posts by people who are successful and people who are struggling. I hope that I can help others on their journey.

Thanks for suggesting this MaWhit, and welcome everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

WOOT WOOT
I Posted on the other one too... I'm not an oldie or a newbie.....I've been posting since the beginning of November so I'm sorta in the middle and am a regular on the Daily Commitments Thread.

I'm 26, also perpetually single with no kids(and totally ok with it too) and I live alone above my parents garage with my cat. I work in Commercial Theatrical Entertainment Administration in Boston.... a field that is surrounded with lots of events, and parties and fun things...that are all heavily catered with an open bar. Along with food battles I also have struggled with alcohol as well....trying to avoid following that line of alcoholics that makes up the majority of my family. As far back as I remember I have always been heavy. I never had good eating or exercising habits(tribute to my father the potato-chipaholic), I was never athletic either. I've tried to lose weight before but it wasn't until just a couple of months ago that I realized it was getting out of control when I saw my weight had skyrocketed in 30lbs in a year...basically since I started this job... to the grand total of 238lbs, that I knew I needed to get serious. The largest size pants in my closet are a size 22W, and my largest item of clothing is a pair of pj's...I like them big and baggy....and in order to get them big and baggy I had to buy a 3x.

Though I had always been heavier, this was the first time that I could feel the weight on my body, I started noticing it was tougher to do simple things like tie my shoes, I was never motivated to go do anything etc. I woke up one morning and said to myself....in many rude swear words... that it is time to get a hold of this situation! I am currently counting calories, and paying very close attention to where and what my calories are coming from. I threw out any and all junk, refined carbs, etc. from my kitchen and did a restock shopping spree. I keep all sorts of spices, whole grain pasts, brown rice, wheat flour, canned and frozen veggies (for when I run out of fresh) and lots of lean protein.... I don't eat fish or seafood so that means lots of chicken, turkey, low fat cheeses and beans. So far I have lost 19 pounds and today I am wearing a pair of pants that I bought in October and couldn't respectably wear them in public...the are an 18 average bought in the normal section of the store not the plus section so I'm moving in the right direction. This weekend I will be going through my closet and removing all of the clothes that are getting too big so that I am not tempted to give up.

In addition to making some drastic dietary changes I also went back to the gym...I luckily have a gym right near my home where I was able to lock in my membership with no sign up fee at a $10/month rate...which is about all that I can afford. I'm also taking advantage of the oncoming flu symptoms that I'm feeling and have put down the cigarettes. Basically I'm remodeling my entire lifestyle, not limited to food, in order to have an overall healthier life... I suppose I'm trying to reform my party girl ways (cause last I checked the videos were called girls gone wild....not overweight girls who should start acting their age get drunk and act stupid) Its is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it gets a little bit easier with each day. After spending 8 years in school the beer, pizza and late nights have taken their toll and left behind a lot of bad habits to break.

Other fun facts, I just finished my masters degree which has given me significantly more time to concentrate on bettering my health, and removed a lot of stress and party opportunities from my life. I got to be a cancer patient with my mother, as I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 3 days after she was diagnosed with breast cancer....3 years later we are both happy and healthy and cancer free. I once walked 1600 miles through Europe...5 countries and 2 islands...and a lot of alpine mountain ranges in a pair of teva sandals. I have no tattoos and no piercings other than my ears, but my hair has been 19 different colors, dreaded, and shaved and has still managed to grow back and look normal for my post educational big girl job.

I basically sit at a computer all day long during the work week and I actually leave this site open in my browser...anything to battle the copious amounts of office junk food that is always around...so if you are ever having a bit of momentary weakness I'm almost always around... If it wasn't for this site and the wonderful people on it I might have given up already, but there is so much support here I've kept going and commitied to being in it for the long haul.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #18  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I'm an oldie and a newbie all at the same time. I used to post here regularly then stopped during the summer and now I'm back again. I feel like a newbie again.

My name is Tracey and I am 27 years old. I have a beautiful daughter who is three years old and I have lived New York City all my life.

I have been struggling with my weight since I hit puberty at seven, yes you read right, seven years old. I gradually gained weight over the years until I hit 211. That was my magic number. I'd lose, I'd gain but in the end I always wound up at 211. Then I had my daughter and was at my lowest adult weight of 205. But then my daughter got very ill, I quit smoking and my relationship with her father ended all within a two month span. It was more than I was willing to admit I could deal with and I turned to food binging like crazy. I hadn't binged in years and there I was again. By the end of that year, I was at 302. When I found this site, I was either 307 or 308. And now I am at 309 and I am ready to let this weight GO!
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #19  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Wow...so many new details about people who have been here for a while, and so many new faces to get to know! I post here sometimes, in the 20-Somethings sometimes, in the 300+ section frequently...I wander around and stick my nose in wherever something interests me

I'm another who's been overweight my whole life. I'm 24, and I have bprobably been overweight since about age 4 or 5. I remember getting made fun of for my weight when I was in first grade, and I remember quitting my dance lessons at age 10 because I was no longer comfortable wearing a leotard and tights around the other thinner girls.

Fast forward...I got up to just over 310 pounds about 2 years ago (as far as I know--there was a stretch of a few months when I didn't even own a scale, so who knows how high I actually might have been). Then I got on a bit of a good losing streak, but that was mostly because I was too busy to eat (working 6am-2pm for my full-ime job M-F, then 4pm-11ish for my part-time job M-Th). Once I got a higher-paying job and quit the part-time one, I started gaining the weight back and hit 300 again just last month. I have considered re-starting a part-time job, but then I would NEVER see my boyfriend

I'm back on the down slide now (yay!), and I'm following my own rules. No one knows my body better than me, so I figured I should make the rules. I adjust them as needed as things change in my body or in my life. Right now, my guidelines are:
  • eat at least 5 times a day
  • stay at or below 1800 calories average per day each week
  • take in a minimum of 100g protein every day
  • exercise for at least 30 minutes 6 days a week (I started out at just 4 days a week and now exercise pretty much every day)
  • avoid HFCS and trans fats whenever humanly possible
My demon weight is 264. I've gotten down to around that number twice and just can't seem to get lower. I will this time, though--I can't go from losing 16 pounds in a month to stalling and gaining it back!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

I've been here for 2 years, but not trying to lose weight the entire time. I became pregnant about a month after joining and now my weight loss is on hold again due to my second pregnancy. So it's hard to comment on my own success since I have had to start and stop. I was following WW (at home) along with walking on my treadmill and strength training for exercise. I've read a lot of good advice and encouraging support on this board, so I don't want to leave suring my "breaks" Come July, I'm jumping back on the old wagon to lose some more weight!
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[COLOR=indigo] I remember getting made fun of for my weight when I was in first grade, and I remember quitting my dance lessons at age 10 because I was no longer comfortable wearing a leotard and tights around the other thinner girls.
You aren't alone with this one either....I was about 8 when I quit... funny I look back now at the photos of me.... I wasn't that heavy then, but I was in my mind cause I was the heaviest of all the girls.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

What a great thread!! I've really enjoyed reading these posts!

I started posting here in July, and it's been a HUGE part of the success I've had so far. Here's my story:

I'm 35, and I've been overweight since I was a teenager. I was a very VERY skinny child, but puberty did a number on me, and so did bad eating habits and sedentary hobbies like reading (don't get me wrong, I will always love reading, but when that's ALL you do your body might start to reflect that!) I gained more weight in college, though I had a brief successful weight loss attempt over one of the summers. I lost 30 pounds and got down to 140 (which I can't even imagine now). I thought I was so fat still, even at 140 and 5'9". What on earth was I thinking?? I got married right after college and gained weight consistently after that. I've been a yo-yo dieter but I only had one sustained weight loss attempt in 2001, when I did Weight Watchers for nearly a year and lost 50 pounds. I got down to 221 at that point and then I just burned out and couldn't deal with it anymore so I started eating again.

I don't know what happened this time - I honestly don't. Something just clicked. Part of it was because my mother was diagnosed with diabetes and I'm worried about my health. Part of it was that I'm tired of being the fat wife of a gorgeous, fit husband, and I don't want him to be ashamed of me. Part of it was that I keep reminding myself that life is short and I don't want to spend it unhappy, and I can't be completely happy as long as I'm obese. Anyway, on July 18, I started the WW program again, but I'm doing my own thing from home and not going to meetings. I started posting here right away, and I started working out -- walking, doing cardio machines at the gym, and now even running (which amazes me, because I never imagined I'd do that). I'm even planning to run/walk a 10K in March, and I've lost 57 pounds. I weigh 218 and I've hit a bit of a plateau over the last month (holidays, maybe), but my commitment hasn't changed.

My advice:

*Do your OWN thing. As someone else said above, you know your body better than anyone else does. People will tell you "don't eat sugar" or "don't eat before bed" or anything else, but don't listen to them if you have a different plan. I eat sugar, and sometimes I eat before bed, and I still see a loss on the scales. Figure out your OWN plan, and don't let anybody else tell you the right way. Take advice, do research, figure out what works for you, and then commit to it.

*When you screw up, and you will, just forget about it and move on. Pretend it didn't happen and get right back on track. Everyone always says that, but they say it because it WORKS. Forget about a slip-up, and the scale usually will too, as long as you hopped right back on your plan.

*Work out, work out, work out. I was in a smaller size at 221 this time than I was at 221 five years ago, because I've exercised more. It really changes your body, it becomes addictive, and it relieves stress so it replaces some of that emotional eating we sometimes do.

*Don't worry if you notice changes in your body but no one else does. They WILL. I'd lost 30 pounds this time and no one noticed. After I lost 40 or 45, EVERYONE noticed. The compliments will come, and they will feel good, but don't worry if it takes a while. You're doing this for you, and all those great side benefits will come along. Post them in the NSV thread, because we all love reading each other's victories on the scale and off.

*Keep posting here and reading other people's posts. It works wonders.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #23  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

My turn! My name is Melissa. I’m originally from Tennessee, but I’ve lived the majority of my life in Georgia. I have no husband and no children. I don’t even have a dog – but that’s because I live so far out that it wouldn’t be fair to have one. But I do have an ugly cockatiel that is as neurotic as I am. I’ve been overweight my whole life (except 1978-1979 - what a wonderful year it was!!). In my 20’s I was a chunky 150-160 lbs but in my 30’s I jumped up into the low 200’s. And then came my 40’s which saw me hitting 300+. I turned 49 in November so I’m on the clock now to try to get to my healthiest before next November. Fit by 50!!!

I’m a recent returnee to 3FC’s so at times I still feel like a newbie. I originally joined back in 2003. At that time I had joined WW’s at 319 lbs. I managed to lose about 120 lbs in 14 months when I had to have my gallbladder removed. It shouldn’t have been a problem, but there was a little bit of a complication with some stones hiding, which resulted in additional surgery to capture the little critters. As a result, I gained about 30 lbs from fluid retention. And of course I let that be my excuse to give up. In the space of 8 months I gained back 100 lbs!! So I disappeared from the forum. A year ago I tried to give WW’s another shot –I started back at a whopping 336 lbs!!! But sadly they kicked me out when I started losing too fast … I was told that I’d have to get a doctor’s excuse to return. (I had never heard of them doing this until it happened to me, but since then I’ve run across a few others who experienced the same thing.) I went in search of a doctor who could tell me why I would be losing too fast (and by the way – even though I was losing at a faster rate than most, my average weight loss was still 1% of my weight). After several tests it was determined that I have a thyroid disease. So now I’m on medication that SLOWS my thyroid down which in turn slows down my metabolism. Grrr! When I decided to give weight loss another shot back in October I played around and I’ve found that as long as I keep under 1500 calories I can lose pretty good or at least maintain – anything above that and I’m facing a gain. My goal is to get down to Onederland (I don’t care if it’s 199.8 – I just want to be there!) by next October when my niece gets married. To do that I’m going to continue to exercise at least 1 hour a day and to keep within my 1200 – 1500 calorie range whenever possible.

As far as advise – there is always the standards that I try to follow every day: Exercise, eat fruits & veggies, write down every single thing that I put in my mouth – even sugar free chewing gum has calories!, and whenever possible I measure everything. But the most important thing in my book is that I have to be willing to fail but not give up. We’re all human so everyone is going to have a bad moment or two here and there. Accept that you failed that time and move on – don’t use it as an excuse to continue the bad moments.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #24  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I just posted this the other day...but will repost it all. It was nice to read about everyone.

Hello all...

Just want to re-introduce myself. According to my avatar, I have been a member of 3 fat chicks since February 2003...about two months after my youngest son was born. But, I have been fighting the battle of the bulge for much longer than 4 years. I have been lurking on the boards for months, and it is time I reappear and start to participate again.

I am a 30 year old, married, SAHM of two boys ages 6 and 4. I am at my highest weight ever. The weight is really catching up with me...and it is imperative that I change my ways.

One of my girlfriends invited me to join a weight loss challenge that include a circle of people. It starts January 8th and it runs until July...and there is $$$$ involved. That is a huge motivator. I think it is the kick start that I need, even if it is a friendly challenge...hehehhehehehe

This website is a huge support for me...and has really worked for me in the past. It gives me the discipline that I need...and also knowing there are others like me.

I have had success with The South Beach Diet...it makes me feel good, and it is something that I can stick with. I also started to read "You on a diet". Like many others, I consider myself very well read on this particular subject, I just need to start using all of this knowlege and put the tools into practice.

Looking foward to the new year, new beginings and a renewed sense of spirit!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Hi - My name is Kim and I'm a long-time lurker! I am 41 (42 in another month!!) and am married with two children, ages 13 & 9 and a 5 yo Rhodesian Ridgeback.

I first joined 3fatchicks and the 100+ forum back in 2002 when I was doing Atkins. I lost around 50 pounds, going from 296 to 254 and then fell off the wagon after 11 months on Atkins. I was in the process of trying to get back into regular exercise and South Beach, having gained back about 20 pounds, when I broke my leg quite badly. Fast forward a year, I was back up over 300 and walking (and huffing and puffing) with great difficulty. I came to the personal conclusion that I could diet for some period of time but I just couldn't keep it off. In December 2005 I had lap-band surgery and have lost almost 60 pounds to date and am so happy with the results. I now exercise regularly (twice a week with a trainer and my goal for this year is to add two more days of cardio to the two I already do) and can breath and move SO much better. My short-term goal is to get to 225 (which will bring my BMI under 40) and then of course Onderland!

I read the boards weekly, if not daily but don't post much

It's great to see so many familiar faces (and all the new people too).
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #26  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

What an awesome thread! I love learning a bit more about the people we see on here all the time! Now it's my turn, here goes!

My name is Kelly, and I live in the great midwest. I'm a 39 year old (OMG when did that happen???) wife, mom of an almost 17 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. We have a fabulous chocolate lab that we call Pup. I'm a permanent sub for the school district here, which means I work every day, but move from building to building all the time.

I was a slightly chunky child, born of a love of reading and a mom who didn't like the local khory league sports so I wasn't allowed to participate. As a teen the weight literally fell off, without any effort on my part. I maintained a weight of 120-125 through high school college, again with no effort. Then I took the plunge and got married, and thought that I could eat the way my almost six foot tall hubby does. WRONG! After that, let's just say that life happened. All the normal things, kids, work, parents getting sick, etc. All of it took it's toll. I was an emotional eater, a boredom eater, and a snacker! I had never tried to diet before, just pretty much assumed that it wouldn't work, so I didn't even try.

Fast forward my life to August 8, 2006. That day my life changed!! I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had no energy, and the thought of trying to keep up with my teenage kids just made me more tired! I had a real eye opening doctors appointment where I was forced to acknowledge the number on the scale: 246. I decided I wanted to be healthy, I wanted energy, I wanted to do normal things without being self conscious or embarrassed. I came home from the doctor and started searching the internet for info on Weight Watchers, as my doctor told me that would be a good place to start. She was right! The first site I checked out was 3FC, and I've never looked back! I joined ww at home and 3FC that day. Three weeks later I decided that there was surely info that I was missing, and I would go to a WW meeting, just one, to get the info and make sure I was doing things right. Again, I've never looked back! I managed to get as hooked on the meetings as I have this site, and have never missed. Monday will be my 5 month WW anniversary, and to date I'm down 54 pounds! I haven't looked or felt this good in so many years that I don't even remember it!

As of this past Saturday, I am half way through the weight loss portion of my journey. I still get excited every Saturday when I get on the scale, instead of dreading it the way I did in the past. Little goals along the way have worked well for me. Seeing that I needed to lose 106 pounds was so intimidating, but I knew I could lose 10 or 20, I would just have to do it more than once!

Unbelievably, I'm now looking forward somewhat! We have a place at Lake of the Ozarks, fun in the sun boating and all that (hense the name!). I know that this year, I'll be able to climb up that little ladder on the back of the boat without a struggle! We even went out this week and purchased two SeaDoo water torpedos....little hand held battery operated things that propel you through the water (very James Bond looking!) that I can't wait to try out! Last summer I would have stayed in the boat while the kids played with them, but not now!

I'll never be that 20 year old, 120 pound, size 5 bride that I was 20 years ago....but I am now comfortable in my own skin, and getting moreso every day. I also know that I couldn't have done it without 3FC! You guys are my guidance, my support, my sounding board and my Shell answer man! THANK YOU!!!!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm mostly a lurker nowadays, although I do still post. I joined in June 2001. I've been on again and off again after getting PG and having the kids. I stuck around through this last PG and had high hopes of getting back to business. Wrote out my plan of action and everything and I just can't do it. I had no problems getting back to eating healthy and exercising after having William but I'm not sure what the problem is this time around. I'm still nursing. I get twinges of wanting to lose weight and I know that I'm getting closer than I have been in the last 4 months.
I keep running through all the excuses over and over. One of these days I hope to run out of them. (I don't want my breast milk supply to decrease, I don't want to exercise until after I've fed the baby so I don't leak, I want to make sure I'm eating enough—of course the junk food isn't the best either). As soon as I can get my mental game in order, I know I'll be ready to tackle this.
Now to the more personal stuff. I've been married to Jeff for 4 1/2 years. I have a 12YO stepson, Lilly is 4, William will be 3 next month and Nate is 4 months. We live in rural Oklahoma (lived in OK all my life). I've also had a weight problem my whole life. The last time I worked to lose weight, I got down to 250 (which was a huge milestone for me to reach) and I got lax on my eating habits and exercise and gained 12 pounds. Not a big deal, I told myself. Then I got PG. I miscarried at 8 weeks and allowed msyelf time to grieve and gained more weight. At the beginning of last year, I was ready to take on my weight problem and had lost about 10 pounds before finding out I was PG again. I did well for a couple of weeks, but then my all or nothing mentality kicked in (which means if I couldn't do the exercises I wanted to do then why bother doing any) plus I was terrified of losing the baby so I stopped exersing and eventually stopped eating very healthy.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Wow, what inspiring threads!! My turn, my name is Shari and although I am not a newbie, I am new in this group, ( thanks Rockinrobin for pointing the way to me!!!). I have been overweight most of my life, ( ok, not really as a child but, my perspective was that I was extremely overweight). I had some real self esteem issues as a teenager, and the guys at my school picked up on that and fed off of it, ( some of the names I was called still are hurtful to this day, and I have been out of high school for 25 yrs!!) I at that point was 150 or there about... ( wow, to be that weight again...). Anyway, I stayed under the 200 mark for the first few years out of high school, then, changed careers, found my niche in life ( I work in surgery), found a terrific job, lost mucho weight, got fit and then low and behold, a man appeared in my life!! Well, man wasn't such a great thing, but, I did get a terrific little boy out of the deal and now he is 8, my weight has steadily increased over the past decade, and now, I am here to change it!!! I have been trying to increase my exercise, and this past week I have gotten outside and walked an hour for 3 days!! Yay!! I really love to walk, ( got into that habit last summer, and you are correct it IS addicting!!!) I also am an avid horseback rider ( in the nice months, not during winter...) and have been blessed with a small hobby farm ( the bank lets me think I own it...) where we have our small band of 10 horses, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. I live next to a state trail and have found walking on that to be interesting and challenging ( walking in winter is much more work than walking in summer~). My plan is to be thinner and more fit in time for my 25 yr class reunion this Aug. I NEED a place to post so that I can feel accountability to someone other then me or my son, ( he loves me no matter what I look like). And it is so encouraging to have someone else praise you for even your small accomplishments, knowing how hard each success is worked for ( at least that is how it feels to me). I hope this is a place I can fit in at, and have the support I have seen here on 3FC in many places. Anyway, just got done with my walk for today and I feel terrific!!!!! Can't wait to get walking tomorrow!!! Thanks folks!!!
luckyducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #29  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi there!

I'll keep it short and sweet. I live in Southern California but I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. I have a Cute Boyfriend (CB) and two siberian husky rescued dogs. I've been at 3FC for forever. I love it. I'm an athletic fat chick with a ton of confidence. I'm the one who is going to tell you to take exotic dancing classes or to try skinny-dipping again. My highest weight was 298. My lowest (in recent memory) was 240. I'm back up in the 280 range and I competed in my first triathlon in 2006 at 276 pounds.

My advice (which you will hear me say over and over again) is to not hate yourself during this jouney. Read this again: You are not going to get thin by hating yourself. It doesn't matter if you screw up and eat an entire wedding cake while the bride and groom are doing the toast, you WON'T burn extra calories by hating yourself. Do you hear me? Ok.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #30  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi! I’m Tammy, 40 years old, married, mom to a 12 and 14 year old. I work as a technology coordinator in the lovely state of Mississippi. I was overweight as child and teen, not by a lot, about 20 lbs or so. I joined weight watchers over the summer of my freshman year of college. I lost about 15 lbs but put it and another 20 lbs back on at college. After I got married in my early 20s, I started gaining weight again, as I thought I could eat like my husband. During that point, I got up to approximately 230 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers a second time. I lost about 30 lbs, until I found out I was pregnant with my first child. From that point on, I steadily gained and gained weight, only making one other attempt to lose weight in 2000 for a couple of months.

For the last 8 – 9 years, I didn’t know what I weighed. My scale only went to 300 lbs, so it didn’t register my weight. I kept telling myself that I probably only weighed a pound or two over 300 lbs, when I thought about it at all. In 2005, my sister decided to have gastric bypass surgery. She tried to talk me into doing it also. I considered it since I knew that I also needed to lose weight. However, I knew that I hadn’t honestly tried to lose weight on my own.

A few months after her surgery, in August of 2005, I became really sick, and had to go to the doctor. That was my first doctor’s visit in more than 10 years. They weighed me and I was shocked to see that I weighed 346. My blood pressure was up very high that day. It really scared me and after I got in the car and cried, I decided that I had to change something right away. For the next few weeks, I waffled around and tried to decide what plan I would do. Finally, I decided that I would do Somersizing (Suzanne Somers plan) as I had done it in 2000, and I knew that it was something I would enjoy. I didn’t tell anybody except my husband at first, because I didn’t want anyone to know in case I failed. I was determined that I had to lose weight, and I gave myself 3 months on the somersize plan. I decided that if I wasn’t losing weight by the end of 3 months, I would change to another plan.

Well, it did work! Which shocked me, as I truly thought that I couldn’t control my weight. I thought I would be obese for the rest of my life! I’ve been losing weight pretty regularly since then. By November of 2005, I had decided that I was ready to start exercising some, and I happened to see a Walk Away the Pounds DVD. I thought that sounded like something even I could do, so I brought it home and tried it and was hooked. I continued somersizing on level one for about 6 months, then I decided that there were some things I wanted to add back to my diet, so I moved to level two, and decided to count calories (level two is usually used for maintaining) in addition. That’s what I’m still doing.

My advice:
  • Take it slowly. Don’t try to start everything all at once. Once you feel like you have control on one thing, move on to the next thing.
  • Don’t try to do something that you can’t live with for the rest of your life. Because if you want to keep the weight off, you will have to do it the rest of your life.
  • Eat more whole, unprocessed foods. Stay away from high fructose corn syrup. It is evil and makes us crave more and more foods. Learn to cook your own healthy foods.
  • Buy a food scale and learn serving sizes.
  • Know that you will occasionally eat things that aren’t on plan. When that happens, it’s okay! Hopefully you will have enjoyed it and you can move on. Don’t agonize over it and don’t let it lead to more and more off plan meals.
  • Drink your water. Some of what we think is hunger is actually thirst. Don’t use your calories on drink.

Good luck! I found 3FC about a year ago and it is wonderful support.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote