The Clean Program is a 21 day detoxification diet program introduced by Dr. Alejandro Junger. The core goal of this diet program is to remove toxins from the body, which are responsible for causing chronic diseases such as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), weight gain, depression, allergies, headaches, insomnia and fatigue. The detoxification diet removes the toxins circulating in the body, especially in the liver and intestines, and at the same time improves liver function through nutrients.
The diet pattern, to be followed for 21 days, includes liquid foods for breakfast and dinner, and solid food for lunch. Though the diet allows a change of food order occasionally, there should be a 12 hour time gap between dinner and the next day’s breakfast for proper functioning of the digestive system.
Clean Diet Principles
The clean diet follows 3 principles which are essential to restore the body with its natural ability to heal itself.
- The diet program does not recommend processed foods, but instead encourages adhering to organic foods, which have a natural detoxification capacity.
- It stresses consuming foods that are high in nutrition, along with supplements, to improve the nutrients that are lacking in the body.
- The program recommends dieters to enable daily bowel movements, either naturally or with laxatives (and also with colon cleansers if required).
Clean Diet Foods
- Vegetables: Leafy green vegetables, spinach, zucchini, carrots, cucumber, broccoli, butternut squash (or sweet pumpkin) and asparagus
- Fruits: Raspberries, blueberries, watermelon, mango, apple, pineapple and banana
- Grains: Brown rice, millets, lentils, beans, chick peas, quinoa
- Non-Veg foods: Lean meats such as cold water fish, turkey, lamb, chicken, duck
- Beverages: Almond milk, rice milk, green tea
- Others: Raw nuts, spices, herbs, agave nectar and cold pressed oils
Below is a sample meal plan:
Breakfast: Blueberry Kale Smoothie
You will enjoy the taste of this smoothie (as blueberries remove the original taste of kale), and at the same time reap the benefits of kale. Kale gives you glowing skin, regulates bowels and enhances weight loss. To make a blueberry kale smoothie, take 1 ripe banana, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 3-4 kale leaves (without sticks), and blend all these in 1 cup water.
Morning Snack: Raw Almonds
Eat raw almonds instead of roasted or salted ones, which are good for promoting weight loss.
Lunch: Spicy Mango Asian Salad
This is a delicious healthy salad with organic vegetables and mango. In a bowl, take little amounts bell peppers (red and yellow), 1 cup of cabbage (purple and green), ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves and mint leaves, finely cut green onions(2/3) and spicy citrus vinaigrette. Add sliced mangoes on top of the salad, along with a few sprinkles of chopped peanuts.
Afternoon Snack: Raspberries and Cucumber
Eat raspberries and cucumber for a snack, as raspberries are high in vitamins, antioxidants and fiber; whereas cucumber contains fiber and lots of water content.
Dinner: Vegetable Broth
This broth helps in body cleansing. Take 1 onion and zucchini, 3 carrots and potatoes, celery and left over greens, like turnip tops. Immerse all these vegetables in water and boil for an hour. Extract the juice, add sea salt, and allow cooling before consumption.