A balanced intake of the proper vitamins and minerals plays an important role in weight loss. Although our bodies need all of those nutrients, there are some vitamins for metabolism more specifically. In addition to considering a low fat or a low carb diet to lose weight, some vitamin help might be in order!
Vitamins that Increase Metabolism
All of the metabolism boosting vitamins can be found in the food we eat, if we get an adequate variety, but supplements can also be used. To boost your metabolism, you need to get:
- B Vitamins (B12, B5, B6, B2, B3 and B1) found in everything from chili peppers to bananas to potatoes to lentils.
- Folic Acid found in most leafy green vegetables (also the only vitamin more effective when taken as a supplement).
- Biotin found in almonds and dried barley.
- Inosital found in nuts, citrus fruit, and whole grains.
- Choline found in eggs, dry fruit, and fish.
- Vitamin C found in strawberries, oranges, broccoli, and cabbage.
Additional Benefits from Metabolism-Boosting Vitamins
While all of these vitamins are a great tool for increasing metabolism and helping you lose weight, taking them will also give you additional benefits past what you may see at your waist! Overall, a balance of the correct nutrients in your body fights fatigue, illness, disease, and even stress. More specifically:
- Niacin (vitamin B3) regulates your thyroid, aids in glucose tolerance and help level blood sugar.
- Vitamin B5 helps your body use fat more effectively. It increases your energy levels by making your adrenal gland more effective.
- Vitamin C not only helps you use glucose more efficiently, boosting metabolism, but can also boost your immune system and aid in the metabolizing of calcium within the body.
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) is also an excellent vitamin for helping you regulate your thyroid.
- Choline (vitamin B6) is another excellent thyroid regulator.
- Biotin is beneficial to the skin and can help improve some conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
- Folic Acid help pregnant woman prevent birth defects, and it protects the health of their unborn babies.
Minerals That Also Boost Metabolism
Vitamins aren’t the only healthy metabolism boosters. Minerals can also promote energy by enhancing the burning of fatty acids that produce the energy needed for physical activity and weight loss itself.
- Chromium – found in both broccoli and grape juice. It is critical in the storage and metabolizing of fat, protein, and carbohydrates in the body.
- Magnesium- found in soy products, whole grains, peas, and nuts. It aids in the transportation of energy, and helps muscles contract and relax normally.
Metabolism Boosting Foods With Multiple Benefits
- Green Tea Extract – has a property that acts as a mood enhancer and stress reducer
- Caffeine – promotes energy and combats stress
All of the B vitamins promote the function and growth of your basic cells. So regardless of your metabolism goals, incorporating the wide range of B vitamins into your diet is a benefit all of us can enjoy!