You may benefit from the candida diet if you’ve seen many doctors and the cause of your symptoms cannot be identified. Candidiasis, a condition caused by yeast overgrowth, usually candida albicans, in many cases can be treated with a change in diet. When you have tried the treatments prescribed by your doctor for candidiasis, yet the symptoms persist, the candida diet may be the answer. The candida diet is also followed in conjunction with your current candida treatment. Here are 4 benefits of the candida diet:
1. Helps to Alleviate Symptoms
The goal of the candida diet is to restore the right balance of friendly bacteria in your digestive system to make it work efficiently. When you have an overgrowth of candida, your entire body can be affected with some of the following symptoms:
- Genitourinary problems such as vaginal yeast infections, bladder infections, prostatitis, impotence or erectile dysfunction, menstrual difficulties including heavy periods, cramping, premenstrual syndrome and PMDD, endometriosis
- Fungal infections and skin problems including: ringworm, psoriasis, eczema, acne, itchy skin, rashes, jock itch, diaper rash, athlete’s foot, skin lesions and nail bed infections;
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as constipation or diarrhea, bloating and/or gas, heartburn, burping, sore throat, oral thrush and mouth sores
- Nervous system disorders such as fatigue, malaise, loss of concentration, poor memory, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, moodiness, OCD, headaches, depression
- Muscle or joint disorders: cold hands and feet, tingling or numbness of the extremities, muscle aches and weakness, joint pain or swelling
- Food-related problems: Development of food allergies, shaking or irritability when hungry (hypoglycemia), or craving sweets, breads, alcoholic drinks
- Other symptoms such as frequent sinus congestion, ear infections, and sensitivity to tobacco smoke, perfume and chemical odors
2. Makes You Feel Better
It restores a healthy balance of intestinal flora by starving the candida yeast of the sugar it thrives on, and adding more probiotics such as acidophilus and bifidus. The candida diet is “spring cleaning” for your intestines. No matter what symptoms you suffer from, you will experience an overall improvement in your condition.
3. Helps Build Your Immune System
Chemotherapy wreaks havoc on your system, so cancer patients are left with little defense. Those with immunodeficiency disease such as AIDS also benefit from the candida diet, as do patients treating systemic candidiasis.
4. Prevents Future Yeast Overgrowth
If left unchecked, candida yeast can mutate into a dangerous pathogen and penetrate the intestinal wall. It can spread throughout the body, thus activating the immune system and causing such symptoms as irritability, loss of concentration and cravings to name a few.