Cooking asparagus is not only a healthy addition to your diet, but a tasty one as well. This amazing super food has an even longer list of benefits including fighting high blood-pressure, cleansing the kidneys, anti-viral and anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, lower cholesterol, treats depression and aids fertility problems. With all this known about asparagus, how could you not benefit from this amazing vegetable?
Asparagus can be cooked in several different tasty ways including boiling, steaming, roasting, microwaving and grilling. There are endless amounts of ways to season and marinade asparagus because it can accompany almost anything. One important thing to remember with asparagus is that you should always remove the bottom arts of the stalk. This can be achieved by slowly bending the spears and wherever they naturally begin to break is where you should cut or snap off.
Boiling is a quick and easy way to cook asparagus and it takes almost no time at all. It is easy to over cook your asparagus using this method so it is important to always time your cooking. Asparagus should boil from 5 to 7 minutes to avoid having mushy spears. If you prefer crunchier spears, boil closer to 5 minutes. If you like your asparagus to be a little softer, then cook for 7-8 minutes.
Boiled Asparagus with Butter Sauce
2 lbs. asparagus
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
½ cup butter
½ small onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
- Boil asparagus for about 5-7 minutes
- In a separate pan, add butter garlic, onion and pepper and cook until garlic and onion are soft
- Drain asparagus and coat with butter sauce
To roast asparagus, first preheat your oven to 400° degrees F. Place asparagus spears on a baking tray that has been coated with olive oil. Next drizzle some more olive oil over the spears and lightly coat with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
Lemon-Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
2 lbs. asparagus
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place asparagus on a greased baking sheet and drizzle spears with olive oil
- Next, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
- Transfer to serving dish and lightly drizzle lemon juice over roasted spears
To microwave asparagus, all you need to do is place the spears in a deep plate and lightly cover them with water. Put an additional plate on top to cover the asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Asparagus Pasta Salad
½ lb. asparagus cut into small pieces
2 cups spiral pasta shells
¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped red onion
½ cup grape tomatoes
½ cup chopped carrots
1 teaspoon oregano
1 ¼ cups Italian dressing
- Cook pasta al dente
- Microwave asparagus until cooked
- Rinse pasta and then asparagus in cool water
- Mix together all ingredients except Italian dressing in a mixing bowl
- Stir in Italian dressing
- Refrigerate for 5 hours before serving