Created by Men’s Health magazine editor David Zinczenko, the Abs Diet found its first audience in male readers. However, upon taking a closer look at the diet, it is evident that the Abs Diet features concepts that can be applicable to men and women alike.
Despite the number of diet fads that constantly appear in the weight loss arena, there are some techniques that are considered staples in most weight loss solutions. Some of these techniques are eating more frequently, but eating smaller portions of food, stocking up on lean proteins and building muscle to improve metabolism. Fitness models, athletes and other people who need to be in constant tip-top shape apply these techniques. Unfortunately, a lot of dieters today have left behind these techniques, believing instead that weight loss can be achieved by simply decreasing calories in the diet. These basic common sense weight loss concepts are precisely the ones presented in the Abs Diet. The only difference is that the packaging and presentation of the diet is aimed at a more modern audience. In fact, many are claiming that the Abs Diet is largely similar to the Body For Life diet.
The recommended foods under the Abs Diet are perhaps one of the most popular features of the diet. The following are some of the foods that you can use to make your meal recipes for the entire week.
- Beans and Legumes. Like nuts, these are best eaten raw. Fried beans contain too much saturated fat while baked beans have too much sugar.
- Spinach and greens. Any type of mild cooking is acceptable except frying.
- Dairy products. Avoid frozen yogurt and whole milk.
- Instant oatmeal. Stick to oatmeal and avoid sweetened cereal brands.
- Eggs. Eat in moderation.
- Lean meats like turkey. Even though certain types of meat are permissible under the diet, avoid fatty and processed meats like bacon, sausage and ham.
- Peanut butter. Spend the time to look for natural peanut butter that does not contain the trans fat that most commercial peanut butter brands contain.
- Olive oil. Use this as an alternative to hydrogenated oils.
- Whole-grain carbs. Avoid refined carbs like baked goods.
- Berries such as raspberries. Be sure to eat them whole instead of eating berry-flavored candies and snacks.
What To Get Excited About
Despite its new and edgy packaging, the Abs Diet basically features smart and age-old weight loss solutions that have proven to be effective in the past. So if you follow the diet closely and get the recommended amount of exercise, it’s inevitable that you will lose the extra pounds. Unlike other fad diets, the Abs Diet does not promote pills, supplements, injections and other weight loss gimmicks.
Despite its exaggerated marketing claims, the Abs Diet is quite a sensible weight loss plan that helps you adapt a healthier and more balanced diet while improving your exercise habits as well. So aside from losing weight, you can also expect to have an overall healthier lifestyle when following the diet.