Weight control may seem like a complex task, but managing your weight is really all about the foods that you eat. Of course, exercise doesn’t hurt when it comes to staying in shape, but the foods that you put into your mouth will impact your diet more than you may think. Each daily meal should be taken into careful consideration in order to lose weight efficiently. To begin, start with your daily breakfast routine.
Better Your Breakfast
Everyone should eat breakfast. Then again, even those people that do eat breakfast often choose the wrong foods. Your body needs lots of energy first thing in the morning, so it’s best to eat whole foods that will provide proper nutrients. Choosing sugared cereal is easy to do, but it won’t help your waistline. Instead, try out some of these options:
- Bran cereal with a handful of raisins — adding your own raisins to low-sugar bran cereal will eliminate a large amount of the sugar that is normally added to ready-made raisin-based cereals. Also, make sure to use skim milk, and measure your milk carefully (1/2 cup ought to do it).
- Egg white omelet — crack two eggs into a bowl, and reserve the white part (place the yolks in a separate bowl to use at a later time). Then, add a handful of fresh spinach to the white, and create a healthy, high-protein, omelet.
- Fruit smoothie — fruit is full of great antioxidants, that will help you feel and look better. Simply blend your favorite fruits with a bit of water or juice, and enjoy this healthy morning drink (if you want to make this drink even better for you, add a handful of wheat germ).
Lunch can be tricky for some people. If you have a limited amount of time to eat lunch, it’s best to prepare your lunch at home (rather then be tempted by all of the fast food available). Here are some tasty lunch ideas:
- Tuna sandwich — mix a bit of tuna with some lemon juice and mustard, and place it between two slices of whole grain bread. You’ll have a hearty lunch that’s good for you too.
- Salad — you can never go wrong with salad — just take it easy on the dressing!
- Sub — if you are going to eat out, choose a healthy sub that doesn’t include lots of mayonnaise.
- Fruit — again, fruit is always a great option!
Dinner should be all about satisfaction. If you eat a hearty dinner, then you won’t feel hungry or deprived later in the evening. There are lots of dinner choices to choose from, but a few of them will ensure proper weight control.
- Roasted veggies — choose fulfilling vegetables (sweet potato, squash, eggplant), sprinkle them with a bit of olive oil, add some salt and pepper, and toss them into the oven for an hour.
- Low-calorie pizza — packaged low-calorie pizza options are great for those on the go. Select brands that don’t have a lot of added sugars.
- Pasta — if you measure one serving of past per plate/person, then you can enjoy this satisfying meal. Look for whole grain or low-carb pastas that will fill you up, but won’t increase your wait line.
The Weight Control Trick
Keep in mind that your body always craves what you can’t have. So, don’t deprive yourself of any one food. If you want to have a snack, choose a snack that’s healthy. If you want to have dessert, measure out that scoop of ice cream, or select frozen yogurt. Also, make sure you incorporate foods from every food group into your diet, and have a healthy balance of carbs, protein, fat, and vitamins. There are lots of ways to keep your appetite at bay, if you know what kinds of foods to select.