When attempted in a healthy manner, it is safe to lose 10 pounds in a month. Research has shown that losing an average of 2-3 pounds each week, equating to 8-12 pounds a month, is a healthy amount of weight to lose. How can you lose 10 pounds in a month? Although the weight loss market is saturated with bogus schemes about how you can lose weight fast, there are only two tried and true scientifically proven methods to safely losing weight: diet and exercise.
When trying to lose weight, diet is critical. First, understand that in order to lose weight, you must burn more calories than you consume. Carefully scrutinize your current diet, making certain to take note of how many calories you consume in an average day. Do you tend to forgo protein and load up on carbohydrates? Do you frequently skip meals and grab a quick, processed snack when you finally do get hungry? To successfully lose weight, create a diet plan that restricts fat and calorie-filled foods. Replace these items with healthy foods that are high in protein and high in fiber. Of course, fresh fruits and vegetables should be consumed each day. To lose weight, aim to eat between 1500-1800 calories each day. Increase the amount of water you drink, and at minimum drink 8-10 glasses of water each day.
Coupled with a nutritious diet, exercise will not only be beneficial to your overall health, it will also lead to weight loss and body fat reduction. For the best results, combine cardiovascular exercises with resistance training. Some quality exercises that you can do to safely lose 10 pounds in a month include:
- Swimming: Swimming laps in a pool is a refreshing method of exercise that many people actually enjoy. Swimming laps for one hour will burn approximately 800 calories.
- Walking: Whether you're walking on a treadmill at the gym or walking laps around your neighborhood, walking at a moderate pace is a beneficial activity to incorporate into your daily routine. Vary your workout by changing your route, adding slopes and hills. Consider interval training, in which you walk at a moderate speed for a set amount of time, followed by a shorter sprint. Walking at a moderate pace for one hour will burn approximately 350 calories.
- Jumping Rope: Did you know that this childhood favorite allows you to burn 200 calories in just 15 minutes? Jump rope at a moderate pace for an hour and you can burn 800 calories!
- Aerobics: A high-energy aerobic workout will burn approximately 800 calories per hour! Aerobics is a good way to tone your legs, hips and glutes, all while burning calories. You can do aerobics in a group setting or at home with an instructional DVD.
- Resistance Training: By using weights and weightlifting machines, you can tone and build muscle. Because weight training tears the fibers within the muscles, calories will continue to be burned long after the workout is over.