Eliminating simple carbohydrates is the guiding principle behind the no sugar no flour diet, a weight loss plan developed by Dr. Peter Gott. By eliminating the consumption of refined sugars and processed flour, this diet has numerous health benefits, the most prominent of all is rapid weight loss. This is because these types of carbohydrates consist of empty calories. Everyday, people consume large amounts of sugar in its other forms, such as high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, and other similar synthetics. These are found in sugary drinks, iced teas, and a number of packaged foods. Similarly, flour, particularly refined flour, has the same effects as refined sugar, and are typically found in breads, pastries and packaged goods. These contain large quantities of hydrogenated oil, which is a known carcinogenic.
Since this diet involves the elimination of high-glycemic foods, undergoing this program results in an overall drop in fat accumulation while still maintaining a dieter’s ideal daily caloric intake. The point is to create a balance between how many calories are ingested and how much are burned through exercise. In order for the no sugar, no flour diet to work, calorie reduction must be practiced with discipline. This means eliminating certain foods such as pastries, white bread, high-sugar cereals and the like in order to replace them with other foods that give the same calorie levels but less in sugar. In the end, a dieter experiences fewer cravings, and best of all, less hunger pangs.
Sample Meal Plan
By eliminating food and drinks that contain added amounts of sugar or refined flour, this diet really only involves food monitoring and eating reduced portions throughout the day. A sample meal plan for a day could be as follows.
- Breakfast: A poached egg and low fat cheese on wholegrain or nut bread
- Snack: Wholegrain slice of bread with a almond butter and crushed raspberries
- Lunch: Salad of lettuce, radicchio, spinach, endives and chard topped with grilled low-fat turkey breast flakes, vinaigrette dressing on the side
- Afternoon snack: Low fat yogurt with wholegrain cereal on the side
- Dinner: Grilled salmon steak, another poached egg, steamed vegetables. (There should be no eating after 8 PM.)
- When buying food, remember to check the product label for telltale signs of sugar or flour. If the ingredients appear among the top five on the list, do not buy that product.
- Your daily diet should consist of whole grains, legumes, meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables. The key is to eat healthy portions from each food group. Recommended foods include lean meats (with skin and fat removed), eggs (preferably organic), pulses and nuts, nut butters (no trans fat), olive and canola oils, low-fat mayonnaise, and also artificial sweeteners.
- Also, daily exercise of about 30 to 60 minutes will allow for more optimum weight loss alongside the diet.