The Marilu Henner Diet: Sample Meal Plan
Marilu Henner is best known for her role in the TV show Taxi, but she has been spreading the word about her diet plan known as the total health makeover. The diet is mostly a vegetarian diet—although meats are allowed—that relies on 10 principles. Henner believes that if you eat in a manner that keeps toxins from your body, you will not only lose weight, you will feel younger and healthier.
The Marilu Henner diet is based around the following ideas:
- Avoid chemicals in your food. This includes any additives or preservatives added to processed foods.
- No caffeine and nicotine. Replace caffeinated beverages with water.
- Eliminate refined sugars and replace them with natural sweeteners. Fruit, syrup, raw honey and molasses are all good alternatives.
- Limit consumption of red meats. These animals are treated with drugs and hormones that may be dangerous for your system. Alternatives for meat include fish and chicken.
- No dairy products. For the same reason as red meat, the milk of these animals is full of the drugs and hormones given to the animals.
- Combine foods by eating fruit alone. Never eat protein and carbohydrates together.
- Replace unhealthy saturated fat and trans fat with healthy unsaturated fats. Your fats should come from vegetables, nuts and fish only.
- Exercise daily and sweat for at least 10 minutes.
- Never neglect your sleep.
- Do everything in your life with gusto, meaning to have a positive attitude in everything you do.
By following these principles, Henner claims that this diet is the B.E.S.T. and will provide you with Balance, Energy and Stamina by using Toxic-free foods.
The Henner total health makeover is a restrictive diet that disallows many foods in the typical American diet. The following foods are allowed and recommended on the Henner diet:
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh vegetables
- Fish (salmon and tuna are recommended)
- Chicken—white meat only
- Egg whites only
- Nuts and seeds—particularly pumpkin seeds
- Whole grain pasta
- Tofu and other soy products
- Nondairy cream cheese
- Maple syrup
- Honey (raw only)
- Blackstrap molasses
- Brown rice syrup
Sample Meal Plan
Here is a sample meal plan that you can have using the Henner diet:
Breakfast: 1 glass of fruit juice (without any added sugar) or a piece of fresh fruit with oatmeal.
Lunch: Tuna Salad.
Snack: Fresh veggies, such as carrots, broccoli or cauliflower.
Dinner: Caesar salad with light dressing and non-dairy cheese; whole grain pasta.
This is just a small sample that you can use to plan your own meals on the Henner diet. By eating a diet full of unprocessed healthy foods, Henner claims that weight loss and more can be achieved. This total health makeover is not just a diet, but an entire lifestyle change. However, before beginning any new diet, make sure to check with your healthcare professional to make sure the diet will be healthy for you. Changes to your diet can affect your health.
- The Marilu Henner Diet
- The Naturally Thin Diet: Sample Meal Plan
- Michael Thurmond: Six Day Body Makeover: Sample Meal Plan
- Michael Thurmond: Six Week Body Makeover Sample Meal Plan
- The Slim Fast Diet: Sample Meal Plan