The Living Low Carb Diet: Sample Meal Plan
The Living Low Carb lifestyle has gained more popularity in recent years. The restriction in consumption of carbohydrates has shown favorable results in human beings, such as weight loss and improvements in overall health, especially cardiovascular.
There are many well-known low carb diets–Atkins, Zone, South Beach, Go Lower, and more–to choose from. Recommendations on the amount of consumed carbohydrates vary, but generally they should not be higher than 40% of total calorie intake. All sweet and starchy foods are not allowed in low carb diets meaning that breads, desserts, pastas, potatoes, and rice are excluded. However, there are a lot of choices and, with practice, you can easily incorporate the main principles of low carb living in your lifestyle.
Living Low Carb: At a Glance
- Breakfast seem to be the most challenging meal while on low carb diet, since traditional breakfast calls for pancakes or cereal, and there is usually not enough time for cooking. However, there are low carb choices such as eggs, tofu, yogurt and shakes that can be easily utilized even with shortage of time. There are choices of low-carb cereals on the market as well.
- Lunch is the easiest meal to incorporate in the low carb lifestyle. Though for many people, eating lunch still means having a sandwich, there are many more choices and possibilities available. Green salads with healthy dressings, such as olive oil and the addition of proteins, such as chicken or fish, can make a filling lunch. If the idea of a sandwich still calls to you, you cane make a wrap with either lettuce or a low carb tortilla.
- Dinner also can be adjusted to low carb living with a little creativity. Many popular dishes require just a little change to become low-carb-living ready. Vegetables and meats baked or roasted together is a great choice, as well as fish with side dish of steamed cauliflower or broccoli with a sprinkle of cheese. Another possibility, especially in winter is soups made from scratch. Pasta lovers can experiment with spaghetti squash as a substitute in their favorite pasta dishes.
Sample Meal Plan
- Eggs Florentine (eggs and spinach) or Vegetable Frittata (eggs, tomatoes, onions, zucchini, herbs)
- Berry shake (blueberries, coconut milk, protein powder)
- Coffee or tea
- Berries and yogurt
- Caesar salad with grilled salmon or chicken minus croutons or Greek salad (greens, feta cheese, peppers, olives)
- Tuna salad or Cobb salad
- Quinoa “tabbouli” salad (quinoa, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice, spices)
- Club soda with lemon, berries
- Celery sticks with peanut butter or cheese
- Bean soup with ham or vegetable soup
- Chicken Marsala or Trout Almandine
- Ratatouille (baked eggplants, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, herbs)
- Raspberries or strawberries with cream
Living the low carb lifestyle can be easy. Even if you find yourself in a fast food restaurant you can always get a salad or a burger without a bun. A little creativity and willingness to experiment will guarantee that you will always have plenty of low carb food choices and your menu will never be boring.
- Free Sample Low Carb Diet Plan
- Picture Perfect Weight Loss Diet: Sample Meal Plan
- The Sonoma Diet: Sample Meal Plan
- The Joy's LIFE Diet: Sample Meal Plan
- The Living Low-Carb Diet: Sample Meal Plans