The Green Smoothies diet helps you to incorporate leafy greens into your diet that you otherwise would not eat. These are greens such as kale, collards and dandelion. Nobody really likes the taste of these greens, as they are bitter, but when combined in a smoothie with sweet fruit and other sweeteners, they can be rather delicious. You can enjoy a wide variety of snacks and smoothies while on the green smoothies diet. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Fruits. Whole fruits are great for a morning and afternoon snack, as they tend to wake you up and keep you awake. Choose fresh fruits such as an apple, a pear, apricots, pineapple, mangoes and all types of berries.
- Vegetables. Celery and carrot sticks, cucumbers, tomatoes and broccoli make for excellent snacks at any time of day.
- Brussels Sprouts. Quarter some Brussels sprouts and toss with olive oil, lemon juice and a dash of sea salt.
- Trail Mix. Mix together some of your favorite nuts and seeds as well as dried fruit. Almonds, pecans, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, goji berries and banana chips are not only tasty, but they are nutritious as well.
- Banana and Cacao Nibs. Slice a ripe banana in half and sprinkle with raw cacao nibs. Enjoy!
- Diced Tomatoes. Dice about 2 to 3 tomatoes and toss with olive oil, freshly chopped cilantro and a dash of sea salt.
- Dandelion Smoothie. Blend together a bunch of dandelion greens with 1 lemon, 2 bananas, 1 pear and some water. Choose bananas and pears that are ripe, as they are much sweeter.
- Carrot Greens and Avocado. Blend until smooth: about 3 to 4 large carrots with greens, 1 avocado, 1 mango, 1/2 inch ginger and fresh water.
- Green Smoothie. Blend together until smooth: 1 avocado, 1 cucumber, handful of spinach, a couple of collard and kale leaves, an apple, water and the juice of 3 lemons. The lemon juice helps to take the bitterness out of all the greens.
- Green Spinach Smoothie. First grind a tbsp. flax seed with a handful of almonds. Then add a bunch of spinach, 1 banana, 2 to 3 large strawberries and water. Blend until smooth and enjoy.
- Green Pineapple Mango. Take a bunch of your favorite greens such as kale, lettuce or collards, and blend with 1/4 of a pineapple, 1 mango and 1/4 inch ginger. For a tropical flavor add coconut water instead of plain water, and omit the ginger.
- Your Choice Smoothie. Make your own smoothie with whatever fruits and vegetables you have on hand. A good rule of thumb is to go half and half between your fruits and greens. Then add your favorite sweetener, herbs, lemon or other ingredients to add more flavor. Blend together with water until smooth and enjoy.
When making your smoothies you can use plain water, or use any kind of homemade nut milk for extra flavor and nutrients. To make the milk simply soak 1 cup of nuts or rice overnight. Then drain, and blend with 3 to 4 cups of water. Strain the milk with a nut milk bag or a cheesecloth and add your choice of flavoring such as agave nectar, vanilla or cinnamon.