Reading the South Beach sample diet will give you an idea of whether the diet will work for you. This diet has three phases to it. The first phase, which is a supercharged two weeks, is the most restrictive. Carbohydrates are severely limited during this initial phase. This is to rid your body of foods with a high glycaemic index.
This diet also cuts down on unhealthy, saturated fats and encourages the consumption of healthy fats, or monounsaturated fats. This first phase will result in the biggest weight loss of ten pounds or more. The claim is that most of the weight loss is from belly fat.
Sample Diet Menu
The following sample menu will give you an idea of how to utilize the South Beach Diet, and it will reveal the foods you should focus on.
- One serving of protein, such as scrambled eggs, tofu or low fat meat
- One serving of vegetables, such as peppers, tomatoes or tomato juice
- One cup of water, decaf coffee or tea
Mid Morning Snack (Choose One):
- One chunk of low fat cheddar cheese
- Low fat cottage cheese with cucumber slices
- Celery sticks with tuna
- Mixed greens salad with chopped hardboiled egg, tomato and chicken
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil based dressing
- One cup of vegetable juice, decaf coffee or tea
Late Afternoon Snack (Choose One):
- Low-carb trail mix
- Cottage Cheese with fresh berries
- Low fat cheese stick
- Handful of nuts
- Grilled fish
- Steamed veggies
- Small dinner salad with 2 tablespoons dressing
- One cup vegetable juice, decaf coffee or tea
Dessert (Choose One):
- Sugar free Jello
- Sugar free hard candies
- Sugar free popsicles
- Ricotta cheese based dessert
This sample menu is for phase one of the South Beach diet. Getting through the first two weeks will be the hardest. Adapt as necessary for the second two phases.