There are 2 diets currently known as the Bernstein Diet. The first is a low-carb diet created by Dr. Richard Bernstein, who created the diet because he was diabetic. The second Bernstein diet is a low-calorie diet created by Dr. Stanley Bernstein. This is a diet available only to people who live near Dr. Bernstein’s clinic.
Pros of the Dr. Richard Bernstein Diet for Diabetics
There are a number of pros for this low-carb diet. These pros work for anyone on the diet, but are especially important for diabetics.
- This diet aids in the ability to control your blood-sugar level—a must for diabetics. For them it is a matter of life and death. The Bernstein diet for diabetics can help keep your blood-sugar levels at around 85 mg. Diabetes occurs when blood sugar is at 120 mg. This diet can also help those who are in danger of becoming diabetic—usually around 100 mg blood sugar—to help avoid that condition in the future.
- The diet is simple. You eat the same thing, day in and day out. There are no variations to remember or get confused about. Just follow the simple guidelines, and that’s it!
- Dr. Bernstein not only endorses this diet, but he lives it himself. This can be a great motivational tool for others. In addition, he is quite knowledgeable about the topics and makes it easy to understand.
Cons of the Dr. Richard Bernstein Diet for Diabetics
- The diet is so restrictive in its content that it may be a hard lifestyle change for people. It keeps carb levels very low and is not meant to be a short-term solution. This diet is meant to be a complete lifestyle change.
- The diet is a one-size-fits-all approach to dieting. This level of commitment may not be appropriate for all people.
- Dr. Bernstein recommended not eating a large amount of high-fiber foods at one time due to its effect of raising blood-sugar levels on some people.
- Since the diet is the same thing daily, it is easy to become bored on this diet.
Pros of the Low Calorie Dr. Stanley Bernstein Diet
- According to the claims, you can lose up to 16 to 20 pounds a month on this diet.
- As part of the low-calorie Bernstein diet, you are monitored closely by Dr. Bernstein’s clinic for any health issues related to the diet.
Cons of the Low Calorie Dr. Stanley Bernstein Diet
Like many low-calorie diets, this Bernstein diet has many dangerous disadvantages.
- This diet is expensive! It can cost around $500 to $1000 per month for dieters participating in this program.
- The program requires vitamin B shots as part of the diet. This is supposed to help you burn fat faster, but there are no long-term studies done about the effects this can cause.
- The Bernstein diet does not focus on exercise, a key component in long-term weight loss.
- This diet only has you eat around 800 to 900 calories per day, which can be quite unhealthy. It can lower your metabolism and cause loss of muscle mass, which can contribute to weight-loss issues further down the road. Low-calorie diets are not effective in the long term for weight loss.
You should always check with your health care professional before beginning any diet to make sure it is right for you.