Trying to master the low fat weight loss diet? Well, as they say, knowledge is power, and to succeed in weight loss, you’ll need a plan. Planning for a low fat weight loss diet doesn’t have to be difficult or even too time consuming. A little knowledge can go a long way.
Low Fat Weight Loss Diet: Why So Much Attention?
Low fat weight loss diets get a lot of attention and for good reason. Fat raises cholesterol levels and increases the risk for heart disease. A low fat weight loss diet can go a long way toward a thinner, healthier you.
Low Fat, Not NO-Fat
The average adult should maintain a diet where 20-35% of their calories come from fat. This should consist of “good fats,” monounsaturated fats that can be found in olive oil, canola oil, nuts, and avocados. Also include essential fatty acids such as flaxseed oil, fish, or fish oils in your diet. Avoiding “bad fats,” which are saturated fats and trans-fats, while still eating enough “good fat” will lower cholesterol and improve heart health.
Making a Plan
Again, knowledge is power. You will need to know the calorie and fat content of the foods you eat in order to make a plan, aiming for 20-35% of your calories. Purchasing a low fat diet book will give you much of the information you need. The 3fatchicks.com article on low fat diet books will give you some good recommendations, and you can always use the forum to gather info, as well as ask for recommendations. Here are some other tips to get you started:
- Read the label. Look for the words “low-fat,” “nonfat” and “reduced-fat,” but don’t forget to check the label. You don’t want to get something fat free that is high in calories.
- Stock up on lean meat, fish and poultry. These are great low fat sources of protein. Check out dried beans, peas, tofu, yogurt, milk and cheese.
- Fill up on fruits and veggies. The ultimate low fat foods are fruits and vegetables. These will fill you up and keep your calorie and fat intake low. Just remember with salads, the lettuce is low fat but the dressing is not.
- Learn some low fat cooking tricks. There are numerous tricks for keeping your cooking low fat. Pick up a low fat diet cookbook for some ideas.
- Research replacements. A good low fat diet cookbook will help you make simple switches that will lower the fat content in your food. You can also do some research online to find tips. The 3fatchicks forum is a great place to find help and ideas on how to make food taste good without adding fat.
One of the best tips is to find support. Finding a friend, family member or online community that can encourage you and guide you during this journey should be part of your plan. The 3fatchicks forum is a great place to find helpful advice and friendly words from others on the journey with you.