There are an alarming number of obesity health risks that can be avoided with some simple, healthy strategies.
Obesity Health Risks
Becoming fit is a great reason to fight obesity, but preventing the health risks associated with it are an even better reason. Those risks include:
- type II diabetes
- coronary heart disease
- high blood pressure and hypertension
- high cholesterol
- sleep apnea
- fertility problems
- pregnancy complications
- post pregnancy complications
Avoiding Obesity Health Risks
Since the leading causes of obesity are dietary and exercise related, avoiding these health risks is within our control. Treatment and prevention of obesity can include one or more of the following strategies:
- dietary improvement: avoid saturated fats, salt and foods high in sugar. Increase low fat, nutrient rich fruits, vegetables, proteins and dairy products.
- exercise therapy: look for ways to increase your physical activity and even incorporate 30 minutes of exercise each day, as many days as possible.
- portion control: keep a food journal of what you eat and how much. Concentrate on eating smaller portions of highly nutritious low calorie/low fat foods.
- medication, herb and supplement intervention (used in conjunction with exercise and diet changes)
Consult your nutritionist or doctor for suggestions on medications, herbs or supplements that might be right for your special weight loss needs. Then carefully devise a diet and exercise regimen to successfully fight obesity!