Muscle fitness training is a great way to increase your strength, but following some simple safety guidelines will ensure that you stay safe while working out. When performing any strength training exercises, it is important to follow these rules.
- Always check with your doctor before beginning any exercise routine.
- Warm up for at least 5 to 10 minutes before you begin any strength training.
- Be sure to utilize proper form when lifting weights for both safety and effectiveness. Begin with light weights and perfect your form using them. As you get stronger, gradually increase the amount of weight over time by no more than 10% weekly.
- Remember to cool down 5 to 10 minutes at the end of your workout.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water while working out, before and after to stay hydrated.
- As a beginner, use machines when possible, as they are built to put your body in the proper form and isolate the right muscles.
- Don’t hold your breath when lifting weights. Exhale fully and forcefully on the exertion phase of the lift, which is generally when you are lifting the weight, and inhale deeply on the other phase.
- Consider having a spotter. Having a workout partner to go through your routine with you will demand proper technique and full effort on all your exercises. They will offer encouragement and feedback, and in the case that you have muscle fatigue and you can’t finish a set, they can help you remain safe.
Why Guidelines are Essential
By following these simple rules, you will increase your performance and safety every time you workout. Remember to start small and work your way up into the heavier weights (after you have perfected your lifting techniques), and you will have the best results with your strength training program.