The Six-Day Makeover is a version of the Thurmond Diet, a weight loss and health plan designed by Michael Thurmond, a renowned body sculptor and weight loss expert. Since the early 1980s, Thurmond has been helping individuals achieve weight-loss success through his “blueprinting” technique. Blueprinting involves an assessment of your body type, metabolic rate and the corresponding type of exercises needed. After this stage, a customized makeover plan is drawn up based on the blueprint, which involves a meal plan and a recommended exercise plan. The makeover plan is meant to complement your metabolic type and target problem areas as a “kick-start” to weight loss. The last stage is a maintenance phase. It basically involves following the makeover plan, making informed choices about eating for your particular body type, and exercising.
In the Six Day Body Makeover, Thurmond compresses his diet program to span six consecutive days. He recommends consuming “slow-burning” foods. Slow-burning foods include lean proteins and complex carbohydrates (legumes and fruits) that maintain the body’s metabolism at a high level. During the diet, he establishes some guiding principles:
- Individuals respond differently to certain types of food. Some body types get fat from carbohydrate-rich foods, while others gain weight due to starchy and sugary foods.
- Dieters fall into one of five body types. Each body type has a diet program specifically designed around its needs.
- Small, frequent meals fire up the metabolism.
- Drink 12 cups of water a day. It helps to burn body fat.
- The eating program focuses on a high-protein/low-fat and low-carbohydrate diet. Calorie consumption is restricted to 1,200 per day.
- The eating plan must be combined with a low-intensity exercise plan so that the body is “turned on” to burn fat. During exercise, you should breathe from the abdominal region in order to increase fat-burning rates.
- During the six-day program condiments, such as ketchup and mustard, are purged from the diet because of their high sugar and salt levels. Processed foods and dairy foods are likewise eliminated.
Six Day Sample Meal Plan
Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, egg yolks removed, and ½ cup of grapefruit on the side.
Mid-morning Snack: 3 ounces of turkey breast, skin removed, and 1 cup lettuce.
Lunch: 2 ounces of chicken breast, skin removed, ½ cup rice (preferably brown) or 1 slice of wheat bread, and non-starchy vegetables.
Afternoon snack: 3 ounces of fresh tuna or canned tuna if fresh tuna is not available, and 1 cup of lettuce
Dinner: 2 ounces of chicken breast, skin removed, ½ cup rice (preferably brown) or 1 slice of wheat bread, and non-starchy vegetables.
This diet is quite low in calories. Because the program involves an intake of only 1,200 calories a day, some important vitamins and minerals may be lacking in the diet. Taking a vitamin supplement can remedy this. Nonetheless, if you suffer from low blood sugar, low blood pressure or diabetes you are not advised to take on this program. The low-caloric nature of the diet may worsen your current medical condition.