There are many different, natural ways to increase muscle and burn fat. No matter your shape or size, these exercises will work for you. Getting in shape is something you can easily fit into a busy day, and with these 3 exercises, you can get into the shape you want in no time at all. Remember to always use the correct posture and form when doing any exercise to avoid injury and to maximize your results.
An interesting fact about building muscle and how it relates to fat loss is that for every 10 pounds of muscle you add, you burn about 60 pounds of fat from your body. By doing these types of workouts along with walking or running, your fat burning potential rises dramatically.
Resistance training is a great way to not only build muscle, but these types of workouts also burn a lot of calories. Here are a few resistance training exercises to get your going:
Exercise #1: Leg Abduction
Place your hands just above your hips and tighten the muscles under your palms. Engaging this natural weight belt is called “bracing.” Once you begin to use these muscles regularly, they will begin to get tighter, stronger and lose the fat around them.
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Raise your body up onto the toes and elbows.
- Lower your buttocks until it’s just about level with your shoulders. Squeeze in your bellybutton towards your spine. This is the most important part of this exercise and it is where you will really see results.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds, and increase the hold up to two minutes as you get better and stronger. If you want you could also hold this for 10 seconds at a time and repeat it 10 times.
Exercise #2: Knee Bend
Starting with you back flat against a wall, this exercise will help strengthen the knees as well as the quads and will aid in the lessening of fat around the thighs.
- Start with you back flat against a wall and you legs should be shoulder width apart.
- Place a medicine ball or a couple of rolls of paper towels between your knees.
- Pull your naval towards you spine and brace your core.
- Keeping your core tight, slide down the wall until your knees hit about a 60 degree angle. Hold this spot for ten seconds and move back up to the starting position.
- Hold here for ten seconds and do it again for a total of ten reps.
Everyone knows, if you want to build muscle and burn fat, you will need to do some weight training. As always, be sure to follow proper form and technique to get the most from the workout and to protect yourself. The key to weight training if you want to burn fat as well lies in the amount of weight used and the number of reps used. You want to do 1-3 sets of 10-12 reps with just enough weight so you are able to just finish the exercise.
Exercise #3: Shoulders
Using a barbell this will strengthen your shoulders and the muscles surrounding them while burning fat:
- Using a barbell hold it above you head with your hands about shoulder width apart.
- Bring the bar to your forehead by bending your elbows.
- Bring the weight back up without bending your back at all.
- Repeat this for 1-3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Remember to combine these exercises with cardio for the best results, and enjoy your newly toned body!