If you’re one of those people convinced you’re not losing weight because of a slow metabolism–it may be time to get a jump start metabolism plan and turn the tables around! Kicking your metabolism into high gear can be as easy as 5 simple steps.
1. Load Your Diet with Metabolism-Reving Food
Many foods have gained a deserved reputation for encouraging fat-burning and increasing the metabolism. Try adding some of the metabolism boosting foods below to your diet each day:
- green tea
- acai berry juice
- red hot peppers
- low fat dairy
2. Get 6 Hours of Sleep Every Night
Your body needs an adequate amount of restful sleep each night to function properly and to burn fat for energy. If you have difficulty falling asleep at night, try the lights-out preparations below to help you unwind for restful sleep.
- Limit caffeine and sugar after 5 pm.
- Turn off outside stimulants like computer, tv, and radio an hour before bed.
- Learn some relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation to relieve stress.
3. Eat Smaller, More Frequent Meals
Six smaller meals, instead of 3 large meals a day, will keep your metabolism fired up all through the day. Instead of packing all your nutrients and energy into 3 large meals, and having energy lags during the day, here are some tips for turning meal time into fuel time!
- Never skip breakfast–choose a high protein starter for the day.
- Plan healthy, low-fat snacks like yogurt and fresh fruit.
- Make dinner a lean protein and add lots of vegetables for nutrients.
4. Avoid Processed Sugars and Flours
White flours and processed sugars burn too quickly so hunger returns rapidly, tempting you to overeat. Choose whole grain, complex carbohydrates that will not only last longer, but increase energy that helps burn fat! Trade those sugary, processed snacks for:
- high protein nuts and seeds
- low fat, whole grain carbs
- nutrient rich fruits and vegetables
5. Exercise Daily
The quickest way to move your metabolism is to move your body! That doesn’t mean spending an hour in the gym every day though. Just commit to some kind of physical exercise you enjoy each day and then mix it up! Easy exercises include:
- climbing stairs
- brisk walking
- lunges and squads
- using resistance bands
Waking up your metabolism doesn’t have to be complicated. Pick some of these quick steps and get started today!