The Hip and Thigh Diet was first published by Rosemary Conley in 1988. This diet is based upon a low caloric intake, and it is meant to eliminate excess fat from the hip and thigh area.
The Premise: The Hip and Thigh diet is a low fat, low calorie diet. Dieters must select one food plan from the Hip and Thigh diet book each day. Once a plan has been selected, dieters then proceed to follow the daily diet plan.
The Diet: This is a particularly restrictive diet, since it eliminates most types of fat. Foods that are forbidden on this diet include: nuts, seeds, oils, lards, high-fat dairy, butter, and all butter-type spreads. Most food plans within the diet book include lean meats, vegetables, fruits, and minimal amounts of starch. Dieters will have to cook many of these meals, and the recipes are generally easy to follow.
The Hip and Thigh diet includes three meals per day, and some snacks are permitted as well. Dieters will also have to be careful about how much fat they consume. This diet encourages exercise in order to compliment the individual meal plans. The Hip and Thigh diet is meant to last as long as needed, though the idea behind this diet is to change the way that dieters eat.
What to Get Excited Over:
- Calorie Control
- Elimination of some bad fats
- Easy meal plans to follow
- No actual calorie counting required by the dieter
- Weight loss can occur if diet is followed carefully
Things to Consider:
- This diet tends to eliminate too many “good fats”
- The diet does not target the hip and thigh area
- The name of this diet is largely a marketing ploy
- The low calorie food plans may lead to hunger
- Most dieters do not find great success with this diet plan
- Not vegetarian/vegan friendly
Verdict: The Hip and Thigh diet is probably not the best diet out there. While this diet does keep calorie counting in mind (beneficial if you want to lose weight), there are better diets that achieve the same goal. Since this diet eliminates needed healthy fats (such as Omega-3), it is not recommended for permanent, healthy weight loss.