Created by registered dietitian Tammi Flynn, the 3 Apple a Day Diet, is based upon the belief that eating an apple with each major meal will help prevent overeating. Due to the high fiber content (approximately 4 to 5 g per apple) of fiber and nutrients, individuals will feel full sooner at their meal. By preventing overeating, individuals may consume few calories per day which may lead to weight loss. If an individual eats fewer calories than her body burns during the day, then she should lose pounds. The 3 Apple a Day Diet recommends eating 4 to 5 small meals a day or breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks. This article will provide sample meal plans for the 3 Apple a Day Diet.
- One slice of whole wheat bread topped with 1 tbsp low fat cottage cheese. Enjoy with a sliced apple.
- Prepare 1 ½ cups of oatmeal according to directions with 5 oz of low fat or skim milk. Chop or grate one entire apple. Add apple and 1 tbsp of raisins to the prepared oatmeal. Top with cinnamon, if desired.
- Make an apple pancake by combining 1 oz of flour with 1 egg and 6 tbsp low fat or skim milk. Whisk until blended. Add 1 chopped apple to the batter. Cook on a skillet with nonstick spray.
- One apple served with 2 whole wheat crackers.
- ½ cup of low fat or fat free cottage cheese served with one sliced apple.
- 3 oz fat free or reduced fat yogurt along with ½ an apple.
- Apple smoothie created by blending one chopped apple with 5 oz low fat or fat free yogurt, 2 tbsp lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Fish salad composed of 4 oz grilled or broiled fish, 1 chopped apple, ½ orange and 3 large chopped celery sticks. Top this salad with 2 oz low fat or fat free yogurt and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Begin by seasoning 3 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast with salt, pepper and lemon juice. To cook the chicken, you can bake, grill or broil it. Cut up the cooked chicken and add to a bowl with 1 diced apple, 1 bell pepper, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp water and 2 tsp sugar. Salad can be seasoned with salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Season 4 to 6 oz of skinless, boneless chicken breast with lemon, salt and pepper. Cook the chicken breast and serve with 2 cups of mixed vegetables. Enjoy this dinner with one apple and a cup of sugar-free jello.
- Drain one 3 oz can of tuna fish. Combine tuna fish with 2 oz fat free or reduced fat yogurt. Add one chopped apple to the tuna mixture and enjoy with 2 cups of green mixed salad topped with 1 tbsp low fat or fat free salad dressing.
By sticking to the 3 Apple a Day diet plan, dieters may experience weight loss in as little as one to two weeks.