You’ve decided that you want to go on a low carb diet plan, but you’re struggling to find the right type of foods to include in your diet; so what do you do? Find the right low carb diet plan for you! The number of low carb diets out there number in the hundreds. The result is that it can all get a little confusing and somewhat daunting. The following is a sample low carb diet plan with an added shopping list to help you identify the types of things you should be buying and eating.
Low Carb Shopping List
Heading to the grocery store? Then make sure you fill your cart with the following items. They’re essential for low carb eating and are delicious and versatile.
- Meat and Fish: (lean) beef, pork, poultry and game, salmon, sea bass, perch, tilapia, catfish etc
- Veggies: leafy greens (kale, mustard greens, bok choy, cabbage), broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, sprouts, cauliflower etc. Avoid potatoes, sweetcorn and carrots.
- Dairy: butter, cheese, cream – but in severe moderation
- Supplements and snacks: olives, sugar-free Jell-o, olives, seeds
- Spinach and ricotta omelet - 2 eggs, half a cup of cooked spinach and ricotta cooked into an omelet
- Pan-fried bacon with tomatoes and mushrooms – 2 strips of bacon, 5 cherry tomatoes and 4-5 mushrooms (button mushrooms work best)
- Scrambled/Poached egg with wilted spinach and grilled tomato – one beef tomato, a cup of baby spinach leaves and one large egg to poach, two to scramble
- Scrambled egg with smoked salmon, watercress and tomatoes – 2 eggs, 2 slices of smoked salmon, one handful of watercress and one tomato, halved and grilled
- Low fat yogurt with berries – small cup natural or Greek yogurt, handful of assorted blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and cranberries
- Roast chicken and ham salad – 2 cups of assorted salad leaves, 4-5 halved cherry tomatoes, 1 slice of ham, half a skinless chicken breast
- Deli meat mini platter – a selection of deli meats (lean ham, salami, chicken etc), olives, sun blushed tomatoes, artichokes, guacamole
- Warm hoisin duck salad – one duck breast sliced into medallions, handful sugar snap peas, 2 handfuls of baby salad leaves, hoisin sauce
- Chicken broth – you can eat this on its own as a clear broth or you can include a piece of chicken to take care of that midday hunger.
- Grilled sea bass with stir-fried vegetables – one fresh salmon fillet and one pack stir-fry vegetables
- Roasted peppers stuffed with cabbage and bacon
- Lean peppered steak with mixed greens – one fillet steak (you can use rump steak or thinly cut sirloin too), 3 cups of mixed green vegetables (spinach, broccoli, asparagus)
- Rack of lamb with cauliflower mash and green beans –one rack of lean, well-trimmed lamb; four medium sized florets of cauliflower mashed together with chives and butter
- Fish stew – You can include any seafood that you like in this fragrant and delicious stew: mussels, clams, shrimp, haddock, cod, etc.., saffron, onion, bay leaves, tomatoes and mixed herbs