YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #1  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Default Dr. Phil, Let's Start From The Beginning (again!)

OKAY, THIS WILL BE A CONTINUATION OF OUR DISCUSSION OF CHAPTER ONE. WHEN YOU ARE READY FOR CHAPTER TWO, LET ME KNOW.

SUMMER
Old 01-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #2  

Hi Summer. In light of the fact we lost the posts, how about we leave Chapter 1 open for a few days for new posts, and move on to Chapter 2.

dip
Old 01-07-2004, 08:42 PM   #3  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Dip, sounds good. I figured we would get to Chapter 2 over the weekend. I just don't want to rush anyone.

Thanks for the input.

Summer
Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #4  
The REAL me stepping out!

I am glad to see that you are restarting this book. I just purchased it and just started reading it. Would love to discuss it with you all!

Will be watching this thread!

Thanks again!

Jeni
Old 01-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #5  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Default ....oh dearrr...

Our week of heartfelt posts is gone...... sigh! I can only begin to imagine the headaches the 3FC gals have gone through to get
us back up!

I promise! I *HAD* nothing to do with the meltdown! One gushing post from me and viola...the whole 3FatChick site is down for days! It was only a coincidence...I swear! I hope!

I'm having a horrid week....with REAL life...but doing ok with keeping my head in charge of my choices regarding exercise and what I'm putting in my mouth! (Pretty cooooooool, IMHO! It feels so good to be in CONTROL!)

Jeni, Welcome! You missed a week of great posts...and you can't even go back to catch up to read them! We had posted the "parts" / passages from Chapter 1 that made the greatest impact on us. (What amazed me was that we all picked the just about all the same sentences! It made me feel great to know that I am not alone!)

I had a horrible time getting in due to password issues... I'll check in tomorrow IF I'm able!

Chins up, girlies!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:26 PM   #6  

Hi Jeni and welcome!

Hi Robyn! I thought it was me and my over-use of smilies that crashed the site! Just glad we're back up. A day without 3FC is like a day without - 3FC!

How 'bout Sunday for Chapter 2?

Maybe Jeni would like say what struck her in Chapter 1?

dip
Old 01-10-2004, 04:23 AM   #7  

Thank you for "restarting" our "restarting" thread, Summer!

Anxious to dive into Chapter 2 and look so forward to all of your shared insights!

Jo
Old 01-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #8  

Hi everyone!

Sure, I will share what jumped off the pages at me in chapter 1. I am sorry I missed last weeks posts. But am so glad you all have decided to start again!

I am one of those mark your book up kind of gals. I will never be able to give any of my books away, they become personal to me. I highlight, underline and make notes in the margin. So you might say I USE my books!

A lot of the stuff in this book is stuff I think we already know, but it is always good to hear it again. Someday we might just get it, huh?

Chapter 1 Highlights:

"The strategies you require must be yours and yours alone." This really stuck out for me, even though I knew it, because we as individuals are so vastly different. One eating plan may not work for one as well as another!

"Ninety-five percent of all people who lose weight gain it all back, with interest, within a few years." Now this got me thinking....NOT ME......but looking back over the years, that is so very true with my weight. (up down, up down)

"If you are ever to get started on the right path to change, there is one important precondition you have to meet. You must rid yourself of that gnawing and overpowering sense of urgency and panic tha always seems to appear on the scene, likek ants spoling the fun at a picnic, every time you decide to sose weight or otherwise get in shape." I have to remember that these pounds didn't find me over night. One day at a time on this one and it's a life change that's permanent.

Then in chapter 1 as we all know he summarizes all the 7 keys, which I am sure we will cover, chapter by chapter. The willpower section was pretty powerful for me as well. Never looked at it as an emotional charge, so to speak.

I am looking forward to discussing chapter 2 with everyone. Thank you for letting me hop in the discussion!

Take care.....God Bless!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #9  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Jeni,

Strangely OR predictably, your areas that you thought were the
highlights were also the quotes that we posted about during the days prior to 3FC crashing....there were a few more or others, but the "stuff" you picked out was definately mentioned!

I am also a highlight and markup the book sort of gal....that is what happens when you go to school constantly AND spend each day in a classroom! The book and I become one so to speak! I've done that with so many (if my principal is reading this!) professional books! I am *OH*SO*HOPING* that this is the same with Dr.Phil's book! This is one that I must get into my head!

I was very moved / stunned by the fact that the same stuff was important to all of us. That we think and feel alike. (You know what I mean, I hope!) I am not alone with how I feel about this! After last week's posts I don't feel nearly as isolated as I did! (And the crash happened...and I WAS isolated! YIKES! LOL)

Anyway...
I noticed you are on a quest for for Fitness by 40. That is what I'm also trying to do! I began 2 years prior....and I'm down to a year and a few months to my deadline! My 40th birthday is April 23, 2005. Did any of that make sense?!

Take care,
Robyn
Old 01-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #10  

Robyn,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I can see there are a lot of things we all have in common. And if any of you out there are professional dieters like myself, this book by Dr. Phil may be a way out of the vicious cycle of pounds going up and down. I guess I keep questioning myself, if I know this stuff, then why is it so tough to get a grip and win this victory? I can only speak for myself when it comes to weight control and issues, but I now from being an addiction counselor it is so easy to just give in to temptation instead of standing tall and going against the grain.

I have found that when I do stand tall and "win" I do feel better, but I have always gone through a cycle with my weight loss journey. I always get tons of compliments and feel so good about myself and then wham I sabotage myself and give myself permissions to let bad or even toxic foods cross my lips and down it sinks to my hips! So why?

I have made it my personal quest, vendetta, whatever you want to call it and lose this extra weight I have been carrying around for years. I know Dr. Phil says don't concentrate so much on numbers, but that is hard for me not to do, being that is what we mainly go by on the scale. It is what the doctors go by to diagnos someone as "morbid obese" (Man I hate those words....bad enough obese, but MORBID"???)

LOL I am having great fun with these smiley faces. Too fun!

I am going to reread chapter two and whenever you are ready to start that thread, I am ready to jump in.

Do we ever have chat sessions?? I love to chat and meet new people.

Take care....God Bless!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:24 AM   #11  

[QUOTE=JensHere]

~ I always get tons of compliments and feel so good about myself and then wham I sabotage myself and give myself permissions to let bad or even toxic foods cross my lips and down it sinks to my hips! So why? ~

Jen, the answer to that is in the book! Let us know when you make the *discovery*!

Hi ladies! I've been a little pre-occupied this week, and just started to reread Chap 2, but I've listened to it on tape a few times! I will knock it out the next day or two, and jump in.

Hope everyone's doing good, and oh, BTW - a lesson learned. I will be copying profround insights as we go, in the event of another site crash.

dip
Old 01-12-2004, 01:33 PM   #12  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

I wondered what happened and no email's regarding the thread.Well i'm trying to jump back in. So here I am. I will catch up with the posts later after work. Glad someone started this thread again though. We're still on Chapter 1, right?

I have a suggestion, if we start another chapter, can we start a new thread and put a note at the end of this thread with a link to the new one? It would help me a lot. Thanks!

Having a really good time with my WOE, i'm on induction and i've had no slip-ups, I've lost 11 lbs. since the 1st of Jan and i'm feeling great. The only thing is I can't seem to give up the caffeine yet, and if i continue to be successful, i may not quit caffeine. I'm holding on to it for all i can!...... I need to start exercising too! May go walking this afternoon at the community center.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #13  

Default New to this

Hi Everyone,
My name is Anne, I am 28 from Barrie, Ontario, Canada. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but i am looking forward to getting started.
I have just purchased the Dr. Phil book, and wanted to start it right away. ]

Just a little bit about myself....

Like I said, I am 28 from Barrie, Ontario Canada. I was just married in July to an amazing man who loves me for who I am, inside and out. In September, I finally realized one of my dreams, and went back to school. I enrolled in College!! I am just starting into second semester.
My weight has been a problem every since I was around 13. I have gone up and down like a yo yo ever since that time.

I have made a pledge to help myself look and feel better, but its not a new years resolution, I dont believe in making those, they are too easily broken.

I would love to hear from anyone else who is just starting the book.

Bedford19/Anne
Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #14  

Michele, Actually, we are on Chapter 2 this week and held open this new thread until Sunday for anyone wanting to make a comment on Chapter 1. We had some really profound and dynamic posts regarding Chapter1, but lost them to the crash.

I don't see a problem with linking the threads, from chapter to chapter. That's easy enough.

Welcome Anne! We had some good discussions on the book the first time around, but lost some of those posts too. Summerlover suggested we go through the book a second time because discussion feel off and the holidays got in the way too. Please feel free to comment on anything in the book as we go through the chapters that hit home with you. As we go, you will find that we all have very much in common when it comes to our obesity.

dip
Old 01-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #15  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Dip, I obviously know how to begin a new thread, but I don't know how to "link" them. If you do, would you like to be in charge of beginning each chapter? It appears that we are ready to begin chapter 2. Let me know what you want to do.

Welcome Anne & Jen!

Summer
Closed Thread