YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default YOU:On a Diet - April chatter

Hey gals - Happy April!

Where's everyone been hiding? Is the Spring weather drawing everyone outside and away from their computers?

I had a busy weekend cleaning out a basement full of 70 years of stuff - not fun at all. I'm still recovering from all that hard labor - just not used to that!

Food is going well - my exercise is a bit behind since I'm still so tired from the weekend. But I'll get on the treadmill in the morning, I've promised myself.
Cindy
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I have been doing the challenge from the YMCA and this is the week where I do 5 days of 30 mins. of cardio....so far so good....LOL!!!! DIdn't lose this week but there is always next week. I can't seem to get the scales to drop on a consistent basis but I have lost 19.5 inches since the first of the year.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #3  
Lovin' Zumba!

Kim - 19.5" - good for you! That's fabulous! Remember, muscles weigh more than fat, so as you build muscle and get leaner, your weight may stay higher. But as long as you are shrinking in terms of inches, you are definitely making progress!

I'm hanging in here - work has me so busy that I've not been able to exercise this week. My food is pretty ok - not spot-on, but not terrible. I'm working on that though!

The warm weather makes me realize I can't hide under bulky sweaters and coats, so I'd better see some progress soon!
Cindy
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #4  

Cindy....you can do it. There were so many times I felt like throwing my hands up and give up but you were always there with words of encouragement. So now.....get busy. LOL!!!!!!!

I think my daughter's boyfriend will ask her this weekend.....I sure hope he does because this is killing me to keep quiet. LOL!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #5  
Still Learning

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for creating and moderating this thread. I'm a big fan of YOAD. I'm just not good at sticking with it yet. I'm picking it up again on Monday in combination with WW. Determined this time. I feel so much better when I'm eating the YOAD way. Plus, don't ya just love Dr. Oz?

I'm new to 3FC too. I really like it though. It's already been an inspiration.

Like you, I've spent the last month cleaning and sorting stuff. All the sorting and hauling of stuff wears you out doesn't it? But it's also so liberating! Whoo hooo!

Anywho - one of the things that throws me off track with YOAD is cooking. I don't like to cook plus I might qualify as one of the world's worst cooks. Any tips for reducing the cooking or making it easier?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #6  

You could do the soups in batches to eliminate a bunch of cooking. You will have more control over what you eat if you cook rather than eating out. Sorry, there is no easy solution to any plan you follow. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #7  
Lovin' Zumba!

Catmama,
I’ve been thinking about your question on how to follow YOAD without much cooking. I reviewed what I’ve been eating and came up with the following:

Salads with meat – either canned meat (tuna or chicken), or you could bake/grill/poach a bunch of chicken breasts, cut them up and freeze for future salads. Last night I made my version of McD’s Asian salad – lettuce mix, mandarin oranges, shelled edamame, cooked chicken chunks, Newman’s Light Sesame Ginger dressing. YUM!

Wraps – you can get whole-wheat wraps or tortillas and fill with deli turkey breast, chicken breast, or lean ham, and whatever else you like.

Veggie burgers – just require some heating on the stovetop or microwave – I like on whole wheat English muffins with lf cheese, tomato and light ranch dressing.

Cottage cheese with fruit or yogurt.

Scrambled eggs/egg whites with sliced tomatoes, whole-wheat English muffins and orange juice. This can be a breakfast or dinner. Can also be made into a McMuffin sandwich with some sliced low-fat ham.

Whole-wheat pizza – using Boboli whole-wheat crust – add low-sugar pizza sauce, low-fat mozzarella, turkey pepperoni, and veggies. Only need to bake for about 15 minutes.

Spaghetti – I consider this a minimal cook meal – brown ground beef or turkey, add low-sugar spaghetti sauce, simmer 10 minutes, and serve over whole-wheat pasta. Serve with a salad.

Taco soup – some cooking, but not bad – brown ground turkey, add 1 pkg. Taco mix, 1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix, then a large can of diced tomatoes, a can of corn, a can each of pinto beans, black beans and red kidney beans. Simmer 20 minutes, adding water as necessary to thin if desired. (I don’t drain any of these canned goods, and typically add only ½ cup of water).

I hope that helps – I’ll share more as I think of anything.
Cindy
Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #8  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey everyone - happy Friday! TGIF! Boy am I glad this week is over!

Food-wise I've been doing pretty well - been cooking dinners all week and sticking to my plan in terms of lunches and snacks.

How's everyone else doing?
Cindy
Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #9  

I too am so glad the weekend has begun!!! My tulips are blooming and the weather is getting warm enough to turn the heat off and open the windows. I started my free weight training and found I have muscles where I didn't know I had muscles. LOL!!!! Actually gained 2 pounds this week but I am down two sizes since the first of the year.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #10  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Default can I play?

hi I was a regular on 3FC a while ago, by the date on my account it's been a year and a half. I used to frequent the South beach board and then the Sonoma board.

I haven't totally fallen off the wagon although my eating lately needs a little reeling in. So here I am. I have not read the book, nor do I know much but after a little lurking in your threads it seems doable and sensible, 2 things I need in an eating plan.

I don't have much to lose but I'd like to do so healthy. Also I am an avid runner and I need to eat better fuel for my body.

So wahhooooo let's go!!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #11  

Welcome batmomm2000 We are always looking for the scales god to look upon us with favor! : It is very doable but the first couple of weeks can be a little daunting if your used to the white stuff. There is a site 'Real Age' that can give you a 99 second overview if you need more info. I still have to go and get my mind refreshed!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #12  
just a few more...

thanks for the welcome!! I did actually find that site and it helped a lot. One thing that seems to confuse me is the 4 grams or less of sugar. Does that rule out milk?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #13  
Lovin' Zumba!

Batmomm2000 - !

I've always interpreted the 4 grams of sugar restriction to mean "added sugar". So, in the spirit of that, the lactose in milk, or the fructose in fruits wouldn't be ruled out. I always check ingredients to see if the "sugars" amount comes from a naturally occuring source, or from added sugar, HFCS, or other sugar alias.
Cindy
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #14  
just a few more...

thanks! That's so much more doable. I don't mind some restriction (clearly I need them) but I don't like ruling out healthy option like milk, fruit, etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #15  

Thomas has an english muffin that is 100 calories and no HFCS!!!! Toast up pretty nice.........
Closed Thread