YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default You: On a Diet - January '08 Chatter

Happy New Year everyone! Any welcome to our You:bies - anyone new to You: On a Diet!

I'm taking my major You-turn tonight - cleaning out the house and getting ready to be back on track tomorrow.

I'm watching Biggest Loser tonight for some motivation - it's great that they started a new season on Jan. 1st! This season is all about teams, and I'm working on DH to be my team with me - we both need to lose a goodly amount, and I'm concerned about his blood sugar levels. So, he'll be following YOAD as well - we did it last year and had great results, but we just had a hard time staying on plan with my travel in June and then all the planning for the wedding in September. Then, we got back from the cruise in October, and never could get back into the swing of things.

But, that's all water under the bridge - time to move onward and upward!

Just a reminder to our YOU:bies - be sure to check out the Grocery List sticky up at the top of the forum - it has some great info that can help you to get started. In general, Smart Balance products are great, and when looking for bread, 100% "natural" whole wheat seems to be ones that don't have as much HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in them. Trader Joes is the best place to find organic, low/no sugar condiments at reasonable prices - make a road-trip there if you have to (like I do - nearest one is 2 hours away, but it's worth the trip for my ketchup, BBQ sauce, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce,....). Hmm, seems I have some grocery shopping to do soon!
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 01-01-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

So today I didn't hit my 3-meals-and-a-snack for BLD, but that was because we didn't eat breakfast til 10:30, then had a huuuuge lunch at 4pm. Just wasn't hungry at dinner time, so had a light snack around 8, and I'll get back at it tomorrow. I'm thinking yogurt, berries and granola for brekkie tomorrow, leftover risotto with some veg for lunch, and some fruit and cheese for a snack tomorrow.... not sure about dinner, but we've got some good options!

Bfl_Cat
- I watched TBL tonight too, and did some mini-workouts during commercials - situps, push ups, step ups, etc. It's interesting with the teams, eh? I really should talk to BF about us being more of a team about our health - we don't talk about it as much as we could/should.

From the Dec thread... iwanawurkit - Congrats on getting your butt out of bed and to the water! That's a tough battle between working out and hitting snooze. Thanks for the encouragement, too.

Last edited by practiceliving; 01-02-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Got up when the alarm went off and made it to the gym!!! I feel absolutely wonderful!!!!! There was some snow on the ground but I didn't let it stop me!!!! Sounds like everyone is off to a good start for the New Year New YOU~!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.4/158.2/140.0

Height: 5'6 3/4

I just finished my YOAD book last night. Whats really sticking in my brain right now is doing at least one automatic meal a day so I don't sit and obsess about what I'm gonna eat. Can anyone tell me if that has been a real success for you? I'm going to have to make different meals than whats laid out in their plan, I'll have to follow more of my BFL food, cause I make my family eat what I eat and there are just some things that will not fly in this house. Other than that, I'm hoping that following their plan for two weeks will be the kick start I need to get back on track.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #5  

Happy New Year everyone,
my house is now de*cluttered* as well. All the bad stuff gone gone gone. Scale is coming back down again as well..whew!
I walked my 30 mins during BL last night. I like the partners idea but I was wondering if I would rather be partnered with someone I love or a stranger? Right now dh and I are back at YOAD..he wasnt impressed with himself this holiday either. Never used to bother him..haha. We have our oldest Dds wedding this summer and our yougest graduates from college..two important events with lots of pictures.......I WILL NOT look this way...no way
Im off to the bus station to see my youngest off...it sure is going to be quiet around here. I think I will go for an nice walk this afternoon. I need to keep busy the next couple of days.
Have a good one!!

oh by the way ccmomof5 ~ the pick and stick is great!! I eat my steel cut oats for breakfast weekday mornings and then on weekends I will have either yogurt or eggs. (for the variety) Makes a huge difference when you dont have to t hink about it.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #6  
You! On a Diet Groupie

S/C/G: 180.5/170.5/130.5

Height: 5' 4"

Happy New Year!

I have cleaned out the refrigerator. I am going to concentrate on one thing each week. This week my goal is to write down everything I eat. I will be able to see what I am eating and will be able to resist bad choices if I have to write it down.

My leg is still sore, so exercise will have to wait until the stitches come out.

Have a YOU! day everyone.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #7  
veronica65

Hi I'm new to YOAD, I too am just finishing my Book!!!
I am wondering how you all clean out all the bad stuff, with remaining non YOAD family teenagers & hubby's living in same house. lol
I struggle more from the temptations of thier bad foods , not YOU friendly.
any of you going through this too. I know ultimately, it is up to me, to deal w the temptations and choose the healthier ways. (which I fully intend on doing, w support here on this forum) .

Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164.4/158.2/140.0

Height: 5'6 3/4

Hi Veronica

I make my family eat what I eat. I'm not gonna make them eat tofu or anything like that, I won't eat tofu either. I figure my style of eating is a healthy lifestyle that will benefit them if they can adopt those changes now rather than when one of the boys is 35 and faced with having a heartattack from eating poorly. My parents taught me to eat everything THEY placed on my plate and anytime I could eat all I want I better eat all I can cram in and when I was a child there wasn't a big push to eat healthy. So I tell them they'll thank me when they're older, and my husband doesn't care as long what he eats tastes good.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #9  

My teenager likes the soup that I make with the veggies. I found more success by introduces them to the dishes I was eating a little at a time. Now they prefer most of my YOAD approved dishes.

We had a little bit of snow overnight but I still got up and went to the gym this morning and the alarm woke me up!!!!! I must admit that I have more energy by getting my butt in gear and moving.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #10  
You! On a Diet Groupie

Good Morning

I have stayed on track for two days now. I have achieved my weekly goal each day and have written everything down that I have eaten. One minute, one hour, one day at a time.

Today I needed pick-up, some fruit and veggies. After my doctors appointment, I went to the grocery store. While shopping I started feeling light headed and a little shakey. I bought a Pria bar and a banana and ate half of each. I have decided I should have some kind of a snack in my purse for times like this.

I am in the process of automating b/l/s. For breakfast I will eat oatmeal, fruit, and milk. Lunch will be a sandwich/soup or soup/salad. Snack will be nuts, fruit and yogurt.

Currently my family still has a few treats leftover from the holidays. As they finish each bag I will not replace them, but I will bring healthy alternatives into our home. I place all their treats on the top shelf of the pantry, out of sight out of mind.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #11  

Jan.....hows the leg? That can really bite when your physically impaired. I have been doing a really well with the food and exercise this week!!!! I am really hoping to see a downward turn on the scales today.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #12  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you and happy new year!

Newbie here - I've been on 6WBMO on and off for a couple of years. It works great - weight just drops like magic - but it's so incredibly restrictive and stringent that after a week or two I crash and burn. I just finished reading YOAD and almost wept from relief. I'm working on the all-or-nothing mentality that's been less than helpful. Still just getting started though, and I'm trying to ease my way in rather than do (yet another) cleaning of the fridge and pantry. Most of what we've already got in the house is fine to begin with (like I said, 6WBO is strict as ****.)

I have a question though - Oz/Roizen say to walk 30 minutes a day, no matter what. I'm coming down with an infection in my chest and I feel like crap. Does anyone know if walking is subject to illness? I worked out yesterday, did the strength training and spent about 45 minutes on the treadmill, but it was a struggle the whole time and I felt awful afterwards.

Looking forward to meeting y'all! Cheers.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #13  
You! On a Diet Groupie

Iwanawurkit asked "Jan.....hows the leg?"
The leg is doing better, stitches came out yesterday. My problem right now is work. After 8 hours on concrete my legs are aching. I going to try taking Aleve before work and see if that helps. I should be able to start exercising Monday. Good Luck with the scales today.

kuhljeanie ~

I my opinion you should rest. Eat properly and drink lots of water. I have question what is 6WBMO?

I created a scrumptious breakfast this morning. I added 1 T Protein Powder, 1 T ground flaxseed, half a banana, 1/8 tsp of vanilla, 1 tsp brown sugar Splenda, and 1 tsp walnut crumbs to my oatmeal. This tasted similar to a Banana Bread. I am going to try adding different dessert type ingredients that I know are healthy to my regular bowl of oatmeal. I found a recipe for Pumpkin Pie oatmeal that I am going to try soon.

Last edited by winterstar; 01-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 166/155/145

Height: 5'9"

Afternoon everyone. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. My husband and I started YOAD on MOnday, and so far so good. I cleaned out my fridge and pantry and geve the food to my brother who is in college and will eat anything ...lol. I will probably be lurking around this board a lot, as I need the extra help as a YOAD newbie. OK now back to planning next week's menu.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #15  

Please share the Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal recipe......please? wow, this year is starting off really well and I can see changes ahead for everyone! If you are sick and not feeling well, stay hydrated and try to attempt some movement. I know there are exercises for people in wheelchairs.....so maybe try to incooperate some of those if you can. Your body will let you know when you have done too much. I know the 'crud' is going around and I am trying to dodge it in my household by taking Airbornn (spelling) and increasing my vitamin C intake. WooHoo!!!! Welcome everyone!!!!
Closed Thread