YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default You on a Diet support thread #5

How about some new pages to write on....the other thread was getting pretty long...(hope this is ok)
Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  
Myrewin

S/C/G: 200

Height: 5'6"

OK So I'm in the process of reading "You: On A Diet" and I love all the information. I read on post on this forum about the diet plan being confusing, and I gotta agree. I hate the recipes in the back (my husband and I are picky eaters!) and I am really confused on what to eat. Plus (and I know this sounds dumb) but how are steel cut oats different from rolled oats and how do you fix them? LOL I need a "You: On a Diet for Dummies" book or something.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Myrewin this is what Cindy has to say about how she makes her steel cut oats.....
"I'm not sure about a "recipe", but here's how I make mine. I actually have two variations, which both start out the same. I always make these on Sunday for the week ahead.

In a saucepan, add oats and water and/or milk at a 1:4 ratio. I do 1.25 cups of steel cut oats to 5 cups of water. This will yield about 5 cups of cooked oats.

Variation 1: Let the oats soak overnight (I would not do this with milk). Then, in the morning, cook for 9-11 minutes. (I'll do this method if I plan to have them for breakfast that day)

Variation 2: Cook the oats and liquid over medium heat for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until a creamy consistency.

Once the oats are cooked, I add about 1T. of cinnamon, 1oz. chopped walnuts and a capful of vanilla extract.

I make these in advance and keep in the fridge in individual portions. When I'm ready to eat it, I add 1/2 of an apple, chopped, and microwave for 2 minutes. I usually then add a bit of milk to cool it down, and to break it up a bit. I sometimes also add a scoop of vanilla protein powder (with more liquid as necessary).

I've been having this for breakfast every workday morning for the past 5 weeks. It's amazing how it sticks with me - I eat at 8am, and am usually not even a bit hungry until 11am or later!
Cindy"

Steel Cut oats are cut with a steel blade verses 'Rolled Oats' and have been reported to stick with you longer. I have also heard you can cook your steel cut oats in a crock pot and substitute apple juice for some of the water. I know I used to substitue part of the water with apple juice on my rolled oats and this eliminates the need for sugar substitute. Have fun!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/203/150

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hi everyone, hope you had a good weekend. Congrats to anyone deciding to make a "you" turn rather than giving up! (myself included, weekends are definetly a weakness for me)

IWANAWUKIT - thanks for the info on the steel cut oats. I never though I could make myself eat them but your suggestions sound tasty, I may have to give it a try. The wheels are turning and I am thinking of all sorts of things I may want to add.

I got a workout in yesterday morning - 40 min on the treadmill at a moderate pace. Now I need to decide what I will do today.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #5  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Monday gals! No problem with the new thread, Patti - I just worry that everyone will be able to find us ok... I wish we could get our own area so that wouldn't happen - maybe we should write to the 3FC gals and see if they'd do that for us?

Welcome myrewin!
Yes, this can be a bit confusing at first, but once you've got the details down pat, it's quite easy. You don't need to follow those recipes in the book if you don't want to - they are just for added direction. Maybe we can be your "YOU: for Dummies"? Tell me the things you like to cook for dinner typically, and I can help you to see that they are YOU: compliant.

Well, I'm happy to say that I'm officially back on track. My weight is still up a pound, but I definitely know why! This morning's workout was good, and I have a great food plan in mind for today.

I'm going to try to send this - we are having network issues at work today, so who knows if it will make it or not....
Cindy
Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #6  

Im happy to report I didnt gain this weekend..I normally do and then fight to get it off all week before weigh in. I dont eat bad things on the weekend I tend to eat more...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm pretty close to being back on track. We went out for lunch and I had cabbage rolls. No bread or other side. I made a stirfry with brown rice for dinner. We are going to have some watermelon for our snack later.

I got my 30 minute walk in so I feel good.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #8  

You will notice that I can now post here and on the food plan for the day. Yay!!!! I gained 3 pounds last week but I have a new lease on life. Yaw, I realize I have stated this before but this time feels really different. I am just going to have to show you......
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #9  
Lovin' Zumba!

I found something new at the store today - All Bran crackers! They have two flavors - Multigrain, and Italian Herb. Kind of an interesting bran-cereal taste.... not bad, but I'm not sure if I like them just yet. But, it's another option for crackers besides Triscuits.
Cindy
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #10  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning everyone! Oops, it's almost noon already!

Had a great workout this morning - I'm actually feeling a bit sore/stiff from it already, so I know it was a good one!

Food was good yesterday - we bought some WW Fig Newtons to try, and I only had 2 - then DF proceeded to eat the rest of the sleeve. I tried to stop him, but it's better if they aren't around - the sugar content is too high, but I just wanted to try them. They tasted "wheaty", which is not a taste I like for my sweets, so I won't be tempted to buy them again.

Yep, I'm definitely back on track and it feels good not to have to be doing YOU: turns!

Looking at the food threads, I see that I really need to add more veggies to my days - that's the one thing I struggle with. I even forgot to make salad for dinner yesterday! Veggies in dishes is the best - then it's automatic. I'll have to work on that.
Cindy
Old 04-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #11  

Woot Woot!~! Good day with food, water and exercise yesterday. Today is just as good so far! I am on a roll!!!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #12  

I dragged out my WATPs dvd last night and did it to mix things up a bit...it worked I was down a pound this morning..I may do it again tonight.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

A good day for me too. No cheating and got my exercise and walking in. I hope to see a loss tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #14  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good day for everyone yesterday - woo-hoo!

I'm doing well today - didn't workout this am as I had to have blood drawn and it messed up my schedule, but I'll try to squeeze something in tonight.

Did I mention that I ordered the "Real Age" cookbook, by Dr. Roizen? I don't have it yet, but am looking forward to finding some new recipes to make - I'm getting bored of my old ones! DF wishes I would just stick to the same, but I need variety! The hamburger stroganoff that we are having tonight is a recipe his Mom used to make, and I'm just cleaning it up a bit. Probably higher sodium than we should have, but he really wants it, so it will be a treat for him.

He finished off the WW Newtons last night, so they are out of my house. I only have the Kashi TLC cookies around now, and because they are so chewy/hearty, I am not that tempted by them. I have my one or two for a snack and am satisfied. He, on the other hand, goes for sheer volume!

Weigh-in for me tomorrow - fingers crossed that I'm back to my ticker weight or lower...
Cindy
Old 04-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #15  

Hey Cindy ...I ordered the Real Age cookbook too..I was so disappointed with it. I love cookbooks and collect them. This is broken down inot seasons..I found it really confusing..and not many recipes in it. It deals with a lot of stuff the YOAD book does. Sorry,,I hope you enjoy it. I get more from the Eating Well site..so I ordered the magazine. Ive bought a couple off the rack and liked their recipes.
Today my best friend came for a walk with me....(she dosnt do anything... and needs to ) well she walked the distance I normally do,,,I continued on and put in another mile...that made 3 miles for me today!!! I feel so good!
Closed Thread