YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #46  
Dr. Oz - veggie style!

S/C/G: 270/251/155

Height: 5'10"

I choose to use the barilla plus. We're vegetarians and I take every chance I get to supplement our omegas. But that's a personal choice.

The only whole wheat pasta I really enjoy is the Bionaturae brand. I buy it at my local health food store, although I'm pretty sure they sell it at either Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods. We don't have those stores here.

I'm not starving, but Dr. Oz says if you're hungry eat. I make sure to get some protein to stop my rumbly tummy. And my dh swears by a small serving of walnuts to get him through.
rincaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #47  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

My housemate got the YOU book for Xmas and brought it back. I flipped through it briefly, and she and I are going to try the plan. Course, I'm sick, so it all basically went in one ear and out the other.

As far as I can remember, wasn't the whole idea basically one of whole foods, less sugar, more produce, and portion control? Pretty simple, but I did recall that some of the recipes looked quite good.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I made a whole wheat pasta dish last night - I took a can of chicken breast and sauteed it in olive oil and added salt, pepper, paprika and garlic. Then I mixed it in the pasta with a can of corn and a can of sweet peas. It was really really good - the DH went back for seconds. I think though maybe the corn and peas may have too much sugar? Not sure about that. For some reason I don't feel like I have a clear cut understanding of all the basics - total sugar consumption, etc...
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

I'm curious, have any of you noticed a loss in waist size before you actually have lost weight?
msgypsylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #50  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperboo View Post
I made a whole wheat pasta dish last night - I took a can of chicken breast and sauteed it in olive oil and added salt, pepper, paprika and garlic. Then I mixed it in the pasta with a can of corn and a can of sweet peas. It was really really good - the DH went back for seconds. I think though maybe the corn and peas may have too much sugar? Not sure about that. For some reason I don't feel like I have a clear cut understanding of all the basics - total sugar consumption, etc...
I'm thinking that sugar via veggies is handled the same as the sugar in fruit. It's naturally occurring. As long as you aren't adding sugar to the veggies, you should be ok.
jourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #51  
Lovin' Zumba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdain View Post
I'm thinking that sugar via veggies is handled the same as the sugar in fruit. It's naturally occurring. As long as you aren't adding sugar to the veggies, you should be ok.
I'm thinking the same. Besides, for me it's about baby steps - I obviously enjoy the higher sugar fruits and veggies more, so if eating them keeps me on track, instead of going to the opposite extreme of sugar/chemical-laden processed foods, then I'm all for it.

My plan is to eventually wean myself of some of that stuff and lower my sugar content, but that's down the road...
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #52  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

yeah, I am taking baby steps as well. I done the years and years of punishing diets and I am sick of it. so, i just cut out the sugar for a month and will go from there....(not eating crap mind you, just no sugar...make sense?)
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #53  
...there's an athlete

S/C/G: 265/265/180

Height: 5'7"

Hello, fellow You:followers! I'm really excited to start this program next week. I've been in bed with a wicked sinus infection today, but as soon as I can, I'm going to go grocery shopping (hopefully Monday).

So far, I've found a few really good ideas for quick and easy lunches at work. Are there any other favorites that you might have? One person mentioned a WW tortilla with Laughing Cow, turkey and spinach. This kind of meal is right up my alley - quick to put together and doesn't require me to bring 50 Tupperware containers a day to work.

Thanks for any ideas!
underneathitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #54  
Zen master

Quote:
Originally Posted by underneathitall View Post
Hello, fellow You:followers! I'm really excited to start this program next week. I've been in bed with a wicked sinus infection today, but as soon as I can, I'm going to go grocery shopping (hopefully Monday).

So far, I've found a few really good ideas for quick and easy lunches at work. Are there any other favorites that you might have? One person mentioned a WW tortilla with Laughing Cow, turkey and spinach. This kind of meal is right up my alley - quick to put together and doesn't require me to bring 50 Tupperware containers a day to work.

Thanks for any ideas!
Ok,

I just had this today and I thought it was delish!

Toasted Pepperidge Farms 9 grain bread with Grey Poupon on one side, Laughing Cow French onion on the other, and lean roast beef in the middle, with a few onions thrown in. I also had baby carrots with some roasted garlic hummus.

YUM!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #55  
Zen master

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperboo View Post
You know, the more I thought about this.... the book says you can substitute ANY veggie for any other veggie at any time. It doesn't differentiate between "good" and "bad" veggies.. so go right ahead and keep um.. "pea"-ing ::drum roll please!::
Old 01-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #56  

I took the Real Age test on the website and was a little depressed by my results - I'm about 8 months "older" than reality! There are a few things I have to do to decrease my Real Age, besides losing weight. Flossing my teeth is something I do sporadically (3-4 times a week), but since the new year I've flossed every day. I need to make a doctor's appointment to get readings on BP and cholesterol and triglycerides - I think my results will be quite poor and something to work on. And I am going to try to not talk on my cell while driving! I think it's a bad thing to do anyway, but find myself doing it anyhow, much to my chagrin.
katec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #57  
this time I mean it!!!

S/C/G: 355/336.2/190

Height: 5' 8"

Hi All - This week I'm starting the You On A Diet program (I had dipped my toes in the YOAD water in December and liked it!). I'm trying to lose about 150 pounds. I HAD lost a large part of them about 1.5 years ago, then flung myself off the wagon and gained back about 80 pounds of what I had lost. So now I'm struggling to drag my butt back up onto the wagon and I'm hoping YOAD will help me stay there.

Just wanted to say hello....
brunissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #58  
the gastronomic godess...

S/C/G: 202/202/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Am I really THAT big!!!!

I started reading you on a diet- and it changed my thinking... I am not up to the part about eating... but I did read the part about needing support and accountability.... so I started looking on line... ya gotta start somewhere. I HAVE to start NOW!!! I have been to the gym 3 days in a row...
the part in the book about being afraid to fail before you start really sunk in too.... 70 pounds.... but there is only one way to eat an elephant.... one bite at a time! anyone have any success so far?
tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #59  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning everyone! And welcome to those joining us recently!

I went to the grocery store again this weekend - still trying to find a decent brand of ww pasta to use. My DF is a big pasta guy, so we can't really give it up.

Does anyone else find themselves eating a lot of triscuits for snacks? I need to work on less carbs eventually, but for now, triscuits (the triangle ones) with hummus is a great alternative to chips and dip. Found a brand of hummus, Josephs, and they have a cilantro/jalepeno flavor - DF and I love it!

Finally got DF to get a bit excited about finding compliant foods with me - he was actually the one who guessed that pasta sauces jarred by local resturants would most likely not have HFCS in them, and he was right! All of the name brands have way too much sugar in them. Check the local favorites if you've been having trouble finding one.

I still have not done my 20-minute workouts - just the walking part of it. Do you know that i-Tunes has three different workout videos, beginner, intermediate and advanced that you can download for free. You can find them, along with some 5-minute snippets from Dr. Oz, if you follow the link from the RealAge site. The beginning workout is on the Oprah site as well, but you can't download from there.

Well, work is calling, so I best be going. Have a great day everyone!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

You know the more I thought about it too, he does emphasize on natural foods - so I am going to continue "pea"ing LOL
I have been experimenting with different shakes in the morning. I have been mixing one up each morning for the hubby, then make one later for myself, so I experiment with mine then make it for him. I make these all on my Bullet Blender (perfect size) Here are a few I came up with:

Shake # 1:
Medium Banana
1/3 Ice
Handful of Frozen Blueberries
1 Tbsp Soy Protein
Cover with Vanilla Soy Milk

Shake # 2
Handful of Frozen Blue Berries
1 Container of Activa Strawberry Yogurt
A couple cubes of ice
1 Tbsp of Soy Protein
Cover with Vanilla Soy Milk
2 Tbsp of Pineapple
A few Walnuts

I have interchanged ingredients between the two. I slip the walnuts in on the hubby - he likes them, he just will never eat them by themselves. Same with yogurt - he doesn't like yogurt, but when I blend it in you can't tell.

I also made a soup that turned out really good last night. Here's the recipe for that:

3 Cans of Black Beans drained ( One I Blended up before adding to make soup thicker)
Two Cans of Light Red Kidney Beans (drained)
One Medium can of Tomato Sauce
One can of Chicken Broth
Two bunches of Celery Hearts - I shredded these in the food processor (really fine - (DH doesn't like vegetables - he didn't even notice)
Sprinkled the top with garlic salt.

I simmered it for about an hour. It turned out yummy!

Last edited by piperboo; 01-08-2007 at 12:50 PM.
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote