Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 07:48 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 8/13 - 8/19

Just starting the topic. I'll be back in a little while.

Judy
Old 08-13-2001, 05:21 PM   #2  

Hi Ladies,

Well, I had a lousy week last week... #1, the heat was such that I didn't feel it was safe to take a walk outside with Thomas. (There was a heat advisory in my area for most of the week.) I _would_ have driven over to the mall to walk with him, except that my car's airconditioning doesn't work, so I didn't want to risk overheating him.
To make matters worse, I was in a blue funk all week (maybe because I couldn't exercise??) and I did not journal at all. So it came as no surprise to me to find out when I weighed in this morning that I had gained 2 of the 3 lbs I lost last week.
Looking on the bright side, I guess I should be glad I am still down 1 lb... it could have been worse!!

I have gotten myself back on track as of this morning... I've had 32 oz of water so far, taken my 20 minute walk, and journaled. I just wish I hadn't slipped last week... it would be nice to be down 2 or 3 more lbs instead of losing 3, then gaining 2!!

Thomas is doing so well... Aug 9th was his 2 month checkup. He got 2 shots (boy, did he SCREAM!) and a good bill of health. He weighs 9 lbs 2 oz and is 22 inches long. (When he was born he weighed 5 lbs and was 18 3/4 inches long)

Hope everyone else has been doing well. I'm sorry I stayed away from the boards... I should have been here asking for and giving support. Forgive me?

Tracy
227 / 210 / 200 (first mini goal)
Old 08-14-2001, 12:18 AM   #3  

Judy - Looks like things got busy for you. Hope your neck is feeling better this week.

Tracy - Sorry about the gain, but as you said, you are still down a pound. Good job getting right back on track this morning. That is what is important. My sister and I always talked about losing weight and started WW at home at the same time 3 years ago. I promised myself I would keep at it no matter how long it took...no quitting. Now three years later I am down 30 lbs. (it was 40!!) and my sister is still trying to get started. Sounds like Thomas is growing fast. Come here whenever you can. We all go through times when its difficult to post.

I didn't weigh in this morning. I know I haven't been following the program and on top of that my rings were tight. I just couldn't face it today. Sara goes back to the surgeon tomorrow so hopefully we will know something then. I know the odds are in her favor that it is benign, but the waiting is still hard.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 08-14-2001, 08:33 AM   #4  
Determined Chick!

Hi group! I'm just back from my 2 week vacation -- had a *great* time in the Northwoods with my family The bummer part is coming back and facing the scale. On top of all the eating and drinking I did on vacation, I spend at least 2 weeks before not following the program and stress eating while getting ready. The bad news...gained back 10 lbs over the summer However, I'm really not looking back with too much regret, I'm more concerned with finding some focus and getting back on track (hard to do after overindulging for so long).

Tracy - Hi! Sounds like you are really on the right track, and that's not the easiest thing to do with a newborn to take care of...congrats!! What is your normal exercise schedule? How do you handle exercise and the WW plan with a baby to take care of?? Share those hints!

Pepper - Your comment about you and your sister starting WW at the same time, and she is still trying to get started really hit home with me. I'm going to keep it in mind every time I feel like throwing in the towel

Well, I'm off to register my baby for kindergarten
:-Z. He starts on Mon the 20th, and I'm so afraid I'm making the wrong decision to send him now. I'll have to bounce those fears off of you guys with my post tonight. Hang in there gang! Holly
Old 08-14-2001, 12:28 PM   #5  

Tracy - sorry to hear about the gain but I think what's most important is that you haven't let that throw you off track. Sounds like you're doing great.

Pat - I hope the news at the surgeons is good. It's a very stressful time for you so try to take baby steps and don't sweat it.

Holly - sorry to hear about the gain but as you said, the important thing is to get that focus and get back OP. The fact that you're here says a lot!

Things got really hectic yesterday. I'm in the office today and so far my neck thing is under control. I weighed in on Saturday and had a 2.6 pound gain - I expected it and I've been OP since. Of course, since my exercise is really limited because of the neck thing, I'm having to be more careful with my food points. Walking just doesn't earn the activity points I'm used to. So far so good though. Sneak peeks are good and I'm determined to keep them that way. I have a new short term goal...Tony & I decided that we're going to go down to DC over Columbus Day weekend. I hope to see a friend down there (the woman whose house I stayed at a couple of weeks ago). Anyway, my goal is to lose enough so that when I see her again, she notices a loss - that's 7 weeks away - I'd like to lose 5-10 pounds by then.

Anyway, back to work. Have a great one,
Judy
Old 08-14-2001, 11:41 PM   #6  
Determined Chick!

Hi group! Well, I am completely down in the dumps after my first day of trying to get back OP. It started with a giant box of cookies that has been sitting out in our lunchroom at work since Mon AM. I avoided it Mon, but gave in today and ended up grabbing a cookie every time I passed by the kitchen. I have now OD'd on carbs, went *way* off the program, and feel bloated and defeated tonight. To make matters worse, I have to attend my husbands middle-school reunion this weekend.

OK...SHAKE IT OFF! I'm done venting If I can pull myself out of the dumps, I have 3 full days to be OP and drink a ton of water. At least I wouldn't have this giant, carb bloated stomach by Sat (I hope!!).

Pepper -- What is going on w/ Sara needing a surgeon? You will be in my prayers...hang in there.

Judy -- Neck injury?? I sure missed a lot when I was gone. An exercise injury? I hope you heal soon. Make sure you keep taking it easy. Great goal, BTW!

Talk to you all soon! Holly
Old 08-15-2001, 12:11 AM   #7  

Holly - Welcome back. Sorry about the gain. I have to join you looking for that focus. I've gained 10 lbs back from my low. Sorry about those cookies getting you, but you are right, you can get right back OP. Sara went for a school physical and the doctor found that her thyroid was enlarged. He sent her for an ultrasound, which confirmed that she has a mass on the left thyroid so he sent her to a surgeon. The surgeon did a needle biopsy in his office but did not get enough cells to make a diagnosis. He sent her for a second needle biopsy using an ultrasound to guide them. Today we went for the results.

Judy - Sorry about the gain. I'm sure the lack of exercise has a lot to do with it. I know what you mean about walking. I did a lot better last summer when I jogged. I like your goal of losing enough so people notice. You can do it!

Well, the results of the biopsy were inconclusive so she is going to have the left half of her thyroid and part of the right removed. I told him we were concerned about the timing since Sara starts college two weeks from yesterday. We were able to schedule the surgery for Thursday and he said she should be able to start school on time. She will probably still be sore and won't be able to turn her neck completely, but at least she can get to class.

I didn't do well with food today. Sara's appointment was at noon and then she had to go straight to the hospital for pre-admission testing so I didn't get lunch until late and then overate. I did take a walk tonight...sure helps with stress anyway.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 08-15-2001, 08:05 AM   #8  
Determined Chick!

Pat - I'm so sorry about Sara --how is she handling this? She must be very worried. Hang in there.

I think I am officially finished with my pity party! Although I tried to talk myself out of it, I got out of bed on time, and did Kathy Smith's timesaver workout (only 20 min, but all higher intensity).

Good luck today everyone!

Holly
Old 08-15-2001, 10:22 PM   #9  

Holly - Way to go talking yourself out of the pity party and getting in some exercise. Sara is doing really well with everything. Of course she is anxious to get it over with. My boss had the same surgery today and called me this afternoon. He said it wasn't too bad, but his throat hurt a lot. The doctor says thyroid cancer is rare and very treatable. We will have to wait several more days to get the results after they biopsy it. The one thing that upset her at the hospital was that the nurses thought she would have to take out her belly button ring. She had just had it pierced on her birthday in July and knew she would never be able to get it in again. Fortunately the doctor said it could stay.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 08-16-2001, 10:53 AM   #10  

Holly - I agree with Pat - way to go on getting out of the pity party frame of mind and getting in some exercise. Yeah, the neck this is new but it's improving.

Pat - I'm so sorry that Sara has to have the surgery. I'm sending my thoughts and prayers your way. Sara sounds like a strong young woman.

I've been doing OK - work has been pretty busy and I have to limit my computer time still but at least my neck is getting better. I hope to hop on the stationary bike later (which I hate but I'm not allowed to do much more). My sneak peek is good so far and I plan on keeping it that way.

Take care,
Judy
Old 08-16-2001, 01:04 PM   #11  
Determined Chick!

Default Old Habits Die Hard...

I am doing better during the day, but that *old* habit of snacking all night long is really hurting my weight loss efforts. Lately it's been popcycles - one after the other. After I overdo the snacks, it is soooo easy to say "oh well, tomorrow I'll start again."

They have opened up a community WW meeting in the town I work, and a lady from work (who has never tried WW) asked me to attend w/her. I am hoping that plunking down the money in advance for a 10 week session, coupled with the enthusiasm of my girlfriend will be the kick in the pants I need to get going and stick with it. (I *know* the program works for me when I work the program!) I am worried about weekends and social engagements. I have something going on almost every weekend into Sept! Any advice on how to handle staying OP while being social??

Gotta get back to work... talk to you tonight (after my first WW meeting with this community group tonight ) Holly
Old 08-16-2001, 04:03 PM   #12  
cookies are for browsers

Holly, welcome back! The *best* advice I've ever heard for social situations is "don't obsess about the food; you are there to enjoy the company of others, not to gorge on yummy foods. Spend your time talking, not eating, and you'll be ok."
(I have to use this as a mantra to get it to work but hey - if it works... conversation, not food... don't talk with your mouth full....) ps Holly check your messages.

Pat, please tell Sara we hope she feels better soon.

Judy, glad your neck is healing. I'm sure you'll be back at yoga in no time.

As for me, well.... I've had a HIDEOUS week and I can't wait for it to be over.

However, I am sticking to my guns and not freaking out with food by overeating, but I am letting myself have whatever I want, just in reasonable amounts. This Chopra thing is really working for me, I can tell that I am finally losing for good. Too slowly, but on the right track.

Jennifa
216/197/170
Old 08-17-2001, 09:05 AM   #13  

Holly - glad to hear about the new meeting - I think it will also be great that you're going with a friend. Jennifa had good advice about social situations. Here are some of my tips:

Don't go hungry! Have something right before you leave or take point friendly snacks in the car to eat on the way.

If you drink wine or other alcoholic beverages, have a couple of glasses of club soda or water for each alcoholic drink. Alcohol is point-heavy and if I get a little tipsy, staying OP goes out the window pretty easily.

If it's a buffet, take a survey of what's there first. Pick out a couple of dishes that you REALLY want and have just those.

If there are raw veggies as appetizers, have them first before any of the others (i.e., fill up on them).

If it's a pot luck dinner, bring a yummy low point dish;

Oh and about the late night snacking - that's my weakness too. When I start abusing a snack inthe evening, I stop buying it for a while. Get those popsicles out of the house!

Jennifa - sorry to hear you had a bad week but I'm glad to hear that the Chopra plan is still working for you.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. I did some stationary bike and an old treadmill (that you power, no electricity or motor) and although I ate a couple of those points, I was still in my range. Sneak peek is the same - now I have to keep it that way. I'm feeling like a may be coming down with something (a bit of chest congestion) so no exercise for me today.

Pat - I hope the surgery went well. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Judy
Old 08-17-2001, 01:33 PM   #14  
Determined Chick!

Thanks for all the great eating out ideas! The meeting last night was great, and I am feeling inspired and ready to tackle this weight problem. The leader is the sister of an old friend of mine. She has lost over 50 lbs w/ WW recently, and is now a new leader:-) . I stayed OP yesterday -- even though I had to convince myself not to look at last night (1st meeting) as the last, great pig-out night! I adjusted my weight (listed below) to reflect the "official" WW weight, and my weigh-in day is now Thurs. P.M.

Talk to you all soon! Holly
Old 08-18-2001, 09:42 AM   #15  
Determined Chick!

Default Sat Morning

Good morning group! I have 2 OP days under my belt!!!Yeah!!! I am trying to think positively about the party tonight :-Z. As per your suggestions, I will think "portion control," and seltzer water in between glasses of wine. I'm also trying to make time for a step tape today. The exercise pts will come in handy, and I'll feel good about myself before going on display at this reunion ;-) !!

How's everyone doing this week? Keep up that resolve!

P.S. Is Cece on vacation?

Holly
Closed Thread