Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:47 AM   #1  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Anyone Weighing in today? 8/15-8/21

Ok ladies.....its been quiet here lately. Where is everyone? I am back here in Florida and back on program. I am happy to report a loss again this week. I weighed in this morning at 201. That is a loss of 4 lbs last week. (Ok there was so much water weight and such...TOM too.) I am at a 39.5 lb loss. I have been doing the Gazelle the past two days and did it for 40 mins today. I am gonna do it again tonight for at least a half and hour. Things have been hectic here since getting home...DH is soooo busy with this pvomiromotion that we have literally seen him about an hour a day. My youngest is sick with a vomiting virus........my day has just been great let me tell you. The only good thing is my weight. Thanks for listening......I hope all is well with everyone and your programs are going well also!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes last week! I didn't realize that I didn't post at all last week. After having a month off, I guess I'm still trying to get back into the work routine. I'm looking forward to school starting next week, so we really can get into our routine. At any rate, I just had time to skim the posts from last week. I'll go back and read them more thoroughly later.

The cold, hard hand of reality just slapped me in the face via a phone call from my doctor. My blood sugar level is elevated. He doesn't want to have to start me on pills right now (it's higher than normal, but not dangerously high) - he'd rather try to control it with - everybody sing it with me now - diet and exercise. I'm going to go to a dietician, which I resisted when he suggested it after my last visit with him. But I think I'd like to get a good understanding of what my carb, fat, protein, etc. mix should be, etc. I guess it's time to stop playing around for real now. I have no one to blame but myself - I know what my family history is and I know what the risks are. But sitting around cursing myself or feeling sorry for myself isn't going to fix anything, so I'm just going to move forward.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 08-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #3  

Ok, I'm back and caught up.

Kelly - I hope that your son feels better for you. Stomach virus = not fun for child and for mom. May your clean-ups be few. Congrats on losing those four pounds. You rock! It sounds like you did well while you were away, especially with the exercise. And how great that you got good feedback from your family about your losing. That is always so motivating, as is smaller shorts. You may have explained this and I missed it, but what is a Gazelle? As for the treadmill: check into freecycle.org or craigslist.org. You just might find someone in your area that's decided that they want to get rid of the one they bought and never used. My doc suggested a treadmill as well. I might look into one as my relationship with the stationary bike is pretty much love/hate, with the emphasis on the hate.

Rachel - Try not to be bummed about the 1/2 pound. Sometimes our bodies rebel and when your's sees that you mean business, it will drop the weight it's holding onto. The Latin Salsa workout sounds like fun! I love, love, love Latin music. I have a couple of Latin workout tapes at home, but I'm just too clumsy to keep up with them.

Judy - Hey girl. Sounds like you did really well at the BBQ. Funny you mentioned sausage and peppers: I made them for dinner last night along with oven-roasted yukon gold potatoes. It was heaven on a plate. Boy, I'm picturing you doing the testing with a reluctant Anthony and feeling your pain. Ana loves reading, or rather, being read to, and her desire to read is there, but she loses focus so easily when it feels difficult to her. We got her teacher assignment the end of last week and were very happy to get the teacher we wanted (and requested). She did Ana's D.I.B.L.E.S. testing and sat in as a teacher rep on all the IEP meetings, so she is well aware of Ana's situation. Plus, Ana got to spend an afternoon in her class and I got to spend a morning with her. She has a real even-keeled, quitely entusiastic style that I think Ana will do well with. As for the dryer, we did get it fixed. It needed an new electronic ignitiation to the tune of $192.00 which is just about half of what we paid for the dryer 2 years ago. Which reminds me - I need to write a letter of complaint to G.E. So did you bring your laptop to your parent's pool and, if so, did you get anything done?

As for my blood sugar level, I think I was in a bit of denial before. According to the ADA website, I'm out of pre-diabetes and into Type II diabetes. I also think my brain was racing a bit and I wasn't paying 100% attention to what my doctor was saying. At any rate, I'm determined to bring it down to normal levels ASAP. I feel fortunate in that I already love whole grains, fruits and veggies, so I'm not going to have to re-train my palate. My goal: to avoid going on diabetes medication and to be off of the blood pressure pills within nine months. And, on the more vain side, to be able to buy a sleeveless dress for my nephew's wedding in April and look good in it.

Have a great evening.

Carla
Old 08-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #4  
Back on Program!

Talking Woooo Hooooo!!

Kelly, I thought I was going to beat you this week with my THREE POUND LOSS, but oh well I am happy anyhow!!!! That puts me down to 203!! I'll have to decrease my daily points soon LOL!!! Just kidding Kelly, I am happy for you!!
I'm going back to latin aerobics tonight!!

Carla, the best birthday present you can give yourself is good health. I am proud of you for going to the dietician. I see the complications of non-controlled diabetes every day, so get your blood sugar under control asap! Just remember that it won't all happen overnight, small steps! We are all here for you!!

Gotta get back to work, I will be back tomorrow!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #5  
kellyjoiii

Carla, I am sorry to hear about the sugar. I do not have diabetes but do have PCOS so I take Metformin 2000 mg every day. Good luck with that.....so you are going to control it with diet and exercise? I will be thinking and praying for you (and silently cheering you on towards that sleeveless dress goal!) Thanks for the words of kindness and also reminding me of craigslist. I didnt know about freecycle so I am gonna go check that out. Gazelle = Ever see that geico commercial with that ANNOYING long curly haired freak? There are three or four people in the background on a machine almost looks like they are walking on air? That is a gazelle. I hate it too but when you cant get outside in the am like norm...I haveta take what I can get.
Good luck girl and keep us updated.

Rachel.....You GO GIRL! Actually we tied.... I thought I lost 4 but it was only 3 lbs too! I am soooo proud of you!! Keep it up and good going for the latin aerobics!!!!!! Lets keep it up!
Here's to 3 more this week!

Last edited by kellyjoiii; 08-15-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #6  

Kelly Jo - Congratulations on an awesome loss! Good for you for doing the gazelle - I've always wondered what that was like. I'll bet it really gets your heartrate going! I hope your son is feeling better soon - there's nothing worse than a stomach virus! Sorry that your DH is so busy - if you don't mind my asking, what is a pvomiromotion?

Rachel - congratulations on your great loss! Enjoy your Latin aerobics class tonight!

Carla - sigh - I'm sorry to hear about your bood sugar and concerned about your health. {{{{HUGS}}}}} Good for you for going to the dietician - hey, maybe there's nothing new he/she will tell you but you never know - it could be really good info that will make something click. I applaud your goal of not having to go on diabetes meds and getting off the blood pressure meds. You know girlfriend, that if there is anything I can do to help, I'm there. I was going to email you this weekend but couldn't find your email address. If you still have mine, send me a quick note - if not, please send me a private message here with the address. I'm really glad to hear that Ana is getting the teacher you know and like. It's great that Ana loves being read to - I wish that was the case with Anthony. I did manage to find a book that he actually liked - it's a 1st grade level but he read it better than he's read before which leads me to believe that his level isn't quite as low as my tests showed but he is still well below grade level. Liking to read or to be read to is a strong factor in her favor! Tony ended up getting the card game Uno for us to have in the house (Anthony really likes it) and he got the "Harry Potter" version. Anthony really liked it and I asked him if in the fall (in other words, not on top of what I'm doing with him now) he'd like it if I read the 1st H.P. book to him and he said yes - we'll see when it comes down to it if he still wants me to but I'd love for him to enjoy a read aloud.

I wasn't sure I was going to post this as it seemed like my own little epiphany but maybe it will help you Carla with your not-so-good news (and of course everyone too). Any little bit of motivation helps, right? I went to my meeting on Saturday but opted for a no-weigh day - my rings were really tight and I just didn't want to look at the number. The meeting was good - it was about WW's empowering beliefs. Well, one of the things you do is to rate (on a scale from 1 to 5) how capable you are of achieving your outcome. My first reaction to that was that I'm not capable of doing it - I've been trying to lose this weight for so long and all I seem to do is to go down and up and down and up. Heck, I'm trying to re-lose weight that I lost a few years ago! I looked at my Palm Pilot WW program at the meeting and found that I am now at the weight I was two years ago. It seemed to confirm my feeling that I am not capable of losing this weight. At first I was very discouraged. I decided to hang around after the meeting to when the leader talks to the newbies about the program. She starts out by telling "her story". Well, she did WW 20 or 30 years ago and she said she lost the weight and gained it back in the past whether she was on WW or on other plans but that 5 years ago, she lost and and has kept it off (and she's probably a few years older than me which made me feel better because in my late 40's, boy is it hard). Anyway, I left a little after she starting talking about how to figure out points but as I was leaving, and thinking about how she finally got to her goal and has kept it off, I thought that I've accomplished some pretty tough things myself. I stopped smoking (10 years ago this coming Jan) after smoking for more than 25 years. At the time, I said that it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I've just about finished a Masters in 2 years after deciding to totally change careers after 19 years. Not too shabby. If I did that, I CAN do this. There is nothing in this that's harder than stopping smoking or hanging in there and busting my bottom for the last 2 years. I think knowing this (and I didn't know it before) is going to help because for me, I really think it's a mind thing - it isn't that I dont' know what I should do, it is isn't that I don't have all the tools to accomplish it - it isn't because my husband snacks all the time - it is about me. It's in my head and now I know that I can do it and it's time to prove it to myself!

So far so good - I start my WW week on Saturday and usually by the end of the weekend, I've used at least 10 - 15 of my weekly points - but I've only used 5 so far. I did a FIRM workout this morning and was dripping with sweat by the time it was over. I had class this afternoon and have a ton of work to do this week but it's doable. I think I'm going to start my day with a yoga session before getting to work tomorrow morning. My challenging time of day is *always* in the evening but I have my crocheting right here beside me - and if the Yankees make me crazy tonight, I'm going to snack on some lf popcorn and then pick up the crocheting!

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #7  
kellyjoiii

Judy,
I just wanted to say that YOUR epiphany has helped me in the sense to see that we ALL struggle each and every day. KUDOS to you on the smoking (10yrs is a long time and I just went over my 3rd-sometimes I still fight the urge but oh well I am doing what is best for me and my family) and the masters? I am sooo proud and yet jealous of you. I still dont know what I wanna be when I grow up and I just turned 32.
Sounds like we have been using a similar excuse (Husband snacking all the time) and I also came to that realization...it is about me..I am responsible for me. I try to stay away from it...if I can't.....I have not FAILED, I am allowed a treat here or there (even if I have no points left lol) but this I do not do (or at least try) often. I refuse to be DIETING the rest of my life so I am changing my habits. The habits have to change (The one I cannot change though is the OCD weighing every day) and I can do this! With all of you girls for support and the support of my husband I can do this. I love this group......

Ps. Judy, I meant PROMOTION LOL I typo'd the first one He is in the Navy and just made Chief petty officer- lots of crap to go along with it until he puts it on.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #8  
Back on Program!

Well, I did the Latin Aerobics again. This time we went after work (I work 7am-7pm), and it was soooo hard to do after a day at work! But I survived. I think I hurt my knee though when we were lunging. I need to go to the gym again today, but I am so tired today. And I am working an overtime shift this week (trying to make money for vacation!), which means I have one less day to get stuff done at home. So here I am online to pay bills, gotta get the laundry going and have my coffee, then we'll see how motivated I am. I am worried about my knee. I think I might just work out in the pool today and take it easy. I just have no energy for some reason (could be that 5 hours of sleep a night is catching up with me!) Guess I'll take a vitamin too!

Judy, you are SO RIGHT!!! Look at all you have accomplished! Everyone look at your lives, your families, the obstacles you have overcome in your lives, and be proud! And know that since you have handled so much already, you can do this weight thing too. That is what I tell myself when I am getting down in the dumps. We can do ANYTHING!! And we have so many reasons to get healthy, not just to look good or get into a bikini (even if I reach goal I doubt I'll be getting a bikini), but to live longer, stronger lives. To have the energy to play with our kids. So we don't die from heart disease in our 50's. So we can BE THERE for the graduations and weddings and grandkids. Because we all know our DHs could not do this without us (LOL)!! We have a lot to stick around for. And looking great will just be a perk!

Have any of you guys been to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in NC? That is where we are going in October, and we have NEVER been to the mountains. Just wondered if you have been and could suggest things to do or see. We are definitely going horseback riding and to the Cherokee Indian Reservation. My little one is too small to go white water rafting, but that's ok. This is another reason why I need to be in shape---gonna be doing all kinds of outdoor activities, and I want to have the energy and have FUN! We are renting a secluded house in the mountains with a creek on property and a hottub on the deck! I am so excited!! I have been married for 10 years and we have never gone on a real vacation---where there are no relatives to stay with or to visit. I am so ready!

KellyJo--is your little one better? It's the worst when your kids are sick.

Carla---bravo for accepting what you are facing, and for being determined to take control!! Your local hospital probably offers great classes on diabetes (your Dr. can refer you) and you should take hubby along. My neighbor was diagnosed a few months ago, and just from making the dietary changes that were necessary, she has lost 15lb. And she just takes oral meds, no insulin. It has been hard for her (she is italian so cutting down on the carbs is a challenge), but she is doing great! Please know that we are all here for you and sending hugs your way! Did you go for the sleep study yet?

Okay girls I've typed enough. Talk to you later!!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #9  

Kelly Jo - congratulations on quitting for 3 years! Yes, we ALL struggle each and every day and we also ALL overcome our struggles and do amazing things. I think we don't always give ourselves enough credit! Yup, the husband snacking is tough but it is about us! Congratulations to your husband on his promotion.

Rachel - that's fabulous that you went to aerobics after a 12 hour shift - you go girl! Yeah, I doubt I'll ever be in a bikini again but for me it's a lot more about health - as you said. I've never been to the Great Smoky Mountain NP but it sounds like a fabulous vacation!

Carla - I'm sure things are really busy what with school starting and all but please check in and let us know how you are doing!

I've been doing OK - a little more snacking than I'd like but the exercising has been consistent and with two days left to go to my week, I still have 14 weekly points left. Still, the scale is NOT cooperating (my rings are quite tight today) so I know when I go on Saturday I will see a gain. I'm determined to get all the work that's left to do done by the end of the weekend so I just have to go to class next Tues, Wed & Thurs and not have to scramble at the last minute. I'm off to the city to go to the dentist - yuck!

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #10  
kellyjoiii

Hello ladies.... I just wanted to pop in and say Good day! I had a little snacking breakdown last night.....some candy and such so I need to go journal it. I am sure it is a little more than my flex balance but considering the circumstances...ie me and DH stomach virus..me being the single mom and all (I have soooo much respect for all of you that have made the choice to be a single mom or by circumstances are one...)It was BOUND to happen LOL But today is a new day and I am BACK ON PROGRAM!!
Until later
Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #11  
kellyjoiii

WAHOOOOOO I just went and figured out my points balance....I only went over 7 points last night! (I did better than I thought AND my points EVEN went down to 24!!!!!!!!!) I thought that I wouldnt have any flex left after last night BUT I DO and I am in such a better mood now. I still have 20 left for the rest of the week until sat. You know, you look so forward to losing this weight then think about your points AND then realize you have less and less to use. It is a catch 22. Oh well, this thinking is what got me fat in the first place. HOW much food can I eat?????? LOL I have had a little bit of an ah ha moment today. Sorry must be the virus...Now I am wondering if I should work out today or not.......I may put the boys in the jogging stroller tonight and walk instead. Who knows...maybe I will use the gazelle....or MAYBE I may not do it at all.....depends....I guess I am making excuses...gotta go put the little one down.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #12  

Thank yo u all for your kind words of support! They mean the world to me.

Rachel - Congrats on that terrific loss! See, I told you the small loss last week was just your body messin' with your head. I hope your knee is doing ok. I have bad knees and I know what that's like. I'm very careful when I do lunges. Good for you for going to workout after your shift. That's some motivation. I'm sure your probably exhausted after working the extra shift. Your vacation sounds like a slice of heaven! Looking forward to it will certainly keep you going during those long shifts. Thanks for the suggestions. I've already visited the ADA website and my local hospital does indeed offer classes. Unfortunately, I already feel like I know more about diabetes than I would ever want to. My older sister was a Type 1 diabetic - diagnosed at 17. She suffered just about every complication you could think of and we lost her 18 years ago - 2 weeks short of her 40th birthday. So diabetes is a familiar foe for my family.

Kelly - It sounds like that stomach virus has been running through your house. I hope you're all feeling better now. I've been keeping my eye out for the Geico commerical with the curly-haired freak! Yeah, my doctor's giving it three months and we're going to see what diet and exercise do towards lowering my sugar levels. Hey, congrats on three years smoke free. I'm an ex-smoker too and I know how hard it is.

Judy - You have mail! Sounds like lack of desire is a big part of Anthony's reading struggle. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll be able to find books that spark his interest. I want to start reading the Harry Potter books to Ana too, but I'm not sure she's interested in them yet. It's all June B. Jones, which are delightful and, sigh, Ashley and Mary Kate, which are not delightful.
I liked your epiphany - thanks for sharing. You know you can do anything you put your mind to - you're one determined woman. The smoking thing is a biggie, of course. But beyond that, I admire you so much for recognizing that you were too miserable at your old job, saying enough is enough, and making such a big change to do what you really want. Most people just dream it; you're doing it.

Four days without sweets and counting. It's PMS time, so who knows if my family will survive. Actually I'm feeling pretty good. Monday and Tuesday afternoon I could do nothing but nap. I seriously didn't have one drop of energy. Wednesday and Thursday have been much better. I even walked to the new parent meeting at school last night. I've visited the ADA site and looked at their Diabetic Food Pyramid, so I have a general idea of what my food plan will be. I'll still be using points and it should all work out well. I'm looking forward to meeting with the dietician on Monday. I'm also looking forward to doing some major grocery shopping. It's been a little bit here, a little bit there. I'm waiting for school to start. It's just so much easier when I'm doing it alone. I'm trying to decide whether I want to stick to the stationary bike for my exercise or switch to walking. It's really kind of uncomfortable for me to walk, or shall I say waddle, but I'm thinking the noticing how the discomfort decrease might be a good motivator. And now I have to corral Ana into the shower so I can go to work for a couple of hours today. Poor kid - I've been dragging her with me and it's pretty boring for her. At least it's making her glad that school is starting!

Have a great day and, if I don't get back on today, a terrific weekend!

Carla
Old 08-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #13  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

Afternoon Ladies

I have recently decided to try doing the WW thing completely at home and on line as to be quite frank
I get nothing out of my meetings other than the accountability of the WI
so it is likely not worth the $$$ I am spending on it.

I have been back at WW since April and for the most part been doing ok.
This last 2 mths have been a bit of a struggle with summer, vacation etc so have been in a bit of a stall mode. No one to blame but me so have to get back at the program and get the rest of this off before my anniversary in October.

Have had a bit of a stressfull life for the last while as the business my DH and I own is struggling a bit. So hope to get a handle on that and try to improve my attitude. Our weather has been cold and dreary since we got home from a 6day holiday so that has not been real great but happy to say it is warm and sunny today

I guess I just need to be able to correspond with others who are in the same boat as I really miss that from meetings

Cindy
Old 08-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #14  
Back on Program!

Cindy, it looks like you have made great progress!! We are happy to have you.
Get back on program and I'm sure you can get to your goal!!

I have been sick the past couple of days (sinus stuff, sore throat) so it looks like my gym trips for the week will be 2 instead of 3. I have to work all weekend so I won't be able to go. But at least I can stay on program at work fairly easily----unless someone brings COOOKIES like they did yesterday. I think I ate about 8 of them (chewy chips ahoy, I was sick and didn't really care!). I accounted for them but I feel terrible about it. Oh well, gotta pick myself up and dust myself off and start all over again!

I'll be here Monday with my weigh-in!

Take care everyone and stay op!
I have monday thru thursday off, and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to it!!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 PM   #15  

Hi all.

Cindy - Welcome! Your progress is great! I'm sure you'll be back on track and moving downward again in no time.

Rachel - Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I hope today finds you feeling better - and cookie free! Don't fret about the cookies. You owned eating them by counting them, so all you can do now is move forward. I'm glad to hear you have some days off coming up. Rest and relax!

We had lunch with my MIL today. She wanted to go to her favorite Polish buffet and since she was kind enough to run to Sears this morning and pick up a vacuum cleaner they had on sale for us, it was the least we could do. Unfortunately, this place is a breaded and deep-fried, dough-swimming-in-butter, meat-swimming-in-gravy kind of place. And I don't think the food is all that good. But, I did pretty well, considering. I started with a cup of chicken noodle soup and then had a salad. After that I had a little bit of what appealed to me. I left with my hunger sated, but not feeling stuffed and bloated. It was a nice feeling. I did end up using the remainder of my points for the day as well as a couple of flex, but that's ok. Dinner was a tomato and onion salad tonight, so it's all balancing out.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Carla
Closed Thread