Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #1  

Talking Fraction Points??

Hello! I am doing Weight Watchers at home. I didn't buy anything. A lady at work was doing it and I copied all her stuff. (yes, I am a cheap skate!) I would like to eventually get the online kit, but right now I just feel like that money could go towards Jazzercize or something.

Anyway... I am doing the flex points and today was day 3. I am supposed to stay at 22 but I have been really using my flex points! I have 21 flex points now left.

I have a point calculator on my computer and it can do whole points or fractions. Say I am going to eat a can of soup, 1 serving would be 3.5 pts but, of course, 2 servings come in a can and I eat both servings because that is my dinner so would I round up the points to 4 on both servings and still count 8 or would I count 7? I know if it was just one serving I would count 4 points.

Anyway, this plan isn't so hard! I actually don't feel guilty if I have a treat or something (not every day of course!).
Old 01-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #2  
Slowly Changing My Life..

S/C/G: 250/239.8/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hmm, I'm interested to see the advice given on this as well. Today I had the same issue come up where I calculated a serving of something (what it was is escaping me at the moment though...) and the points I came up with for that serving was 1.5 pts. I did not round it up though, and entered the 1.5 points into my calculator.

So, in my opinion...I am counting the points/servings exactly as they are.

~P
Old 01-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #3  
No Uno Mas?

When in doubt, I always round up. example..if 1 serving is 3.5 and I eat two servings..that would be 7 points. If I just eat 1 serving I would round to 4.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

If you eat two servings of a food, rather than just double the points for one serving, you should recalculate points based on total calories, fat, and fiber for both servings. You'll find in some instances that the points are more than just doubling one serving and in some cases you'll be pleased to find that the points are less.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #5  

Thanks alot girls!

So tonight I went to Applebees... fully intended to order off the weight watchers menu. Well it was happy hour with half off appetizers so I said "veggie patch pizza shouldnt be that bad!" now of course I cannot find any nutritional value for it. I only ate half of it for dinner... so I am just going to count 6 points. I know that I shouldnt guesstimate, but I dont know whatelse to do... why wouldnt they publish nutritional values... their website says the only do values for weight watcher items... oh well.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #6  

Also, I really cant double everything.. .because the soup is already at 4 grams fiber... so if I double it, i can double everything BUT the fiber since 4 is the max... so should I just double the points for a single serving or should I take what the calculator gives me when I put double everything.. which is a point more than what it would be if i just doubled the points on a single serving. Sorry for all the questions!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #7  
Slowly Changing My Life..

S/C/G: 250/239.8/145

Height: 5' 5"

I visited Dottie's Weight Loss Zone and found the nutritional info for the veggie patch pizza on her site. Yikes! I never would have thought it would have been this many points...

Veggie Patch Pizza (870 cal/ 57 g fat/5 g fiber) 21.5 (that is for the whole pizza)

So half would actually be almost 11 pts. I don't exactly know what is on the thing but from the name it has it seemed healthy enough.

Visit her site though for tons of helpful information. She really is a dedicated person to sharing her journey and all that she has learned along the way. Hope this helps with some of your questions as well.

~P
Old 01-27-2005, 06:34 AM   #8  

WOW! Ok next time I WILL be ordering off the WW menu! Thank goodness for the flex points!

Thanks so much!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #9  

Christina, even though you cap the fiber at 4, you have to double the calories and fat and take the extra point.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:11 PM   #10  

Well that doesn't seem fair! Does that mean if I have one serving of soup for lunch and one for dinner, at 2 separate times I have to double everything but fiber for the extra point?

Oh well... I guess thats how you lose the weight... thanks cece!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #11  

Christina - Well, there's two schools of thought on the example you just gave when the servings are split between two different meals. One says that you double the calories, etc. for total points. The other says calculate the points for each serving separately. I'm not sure what WW says about it. If it's food eaten at a meal and I eat it at two different meals throughout the day, I calculate the points per meal. If it's snack type stuff, I calculate based on total calories, etc. I'm not sure if it's correct, but it works. (When I'm working the program.)
Closed Thread