Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:01 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 11/1 - 11/7

Starting the topic - Be back at some point today when I get a chance to get back online.

Judy
Old 11-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #2  

Hmmm, really slow day on the boards. I had a so-so weekend. I did go to my meeting but did not weigh in since I weighed in on Sunday so they considered me weighed for the week - that was probably a good thing because my sneak peek was up. I have to check my calendar - I think I might be entered the PMS-zone again. I feel that way - or maybe it's the anxiety of the election. At least my exercise was consistent over the weekend. I took an exercise day off as I did (1/2) a tough spinning workout on Saturday and my knees were a bit achy yesterday. No kids at school tomorrow, just "Superintendent's Day" - at work until about 1:00. Tony and I were talking about going out to dinner with my FIL - now Tony's saying that with the day they have planned, my FIL might be too tired. I don't have anything planned for dinner tomorrow and while Tony's suggestion of it being just the two of us sounds great, I don't know if I want the temptation.

Now to catch up on the end of last week's posts.
Have a great one!
Judy
Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #3  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All!

Carla - I'd forgotten that your trip to Mexico is coming up. What a great thing to look forward to. Don't let not getting to a certain weight dampen your anticipation, just relax and enjoy. We had whole wheat pasta on the weekend too - it's the only kind we buy now. I love the nutty flavor. Mike's misses "the real thing" but is reaping the health benefits of it. He's down 40 lbs now!

Judy - You'd think we'd know better than to let water weight mess with our minds. I've been weighing daily and am entering it into FitDay so I can look for patterns of water retention to try and get my head into the right space about it. It's so illogical to get twisted about a bit of water gain, but we all do it. Good for you for getting in lots of exercise on the weekend.

I had a pretty good weekend. I got through halloween only eating 3.5 mini chocolate bars - a huge improvement over last year, I think I ate about 20! We had over 100 trick or treaters. All the leftover candy has been donated to FIL and his sweet tooth.
Yesterday my DB & SIL came over in the morning for coffee, then we all went dog walking at the river. I made some ff/sf banana bread that turned out very nicely - didn't have anything to offer them food wise and found some overripe bananas in the freezer. It's been a good day today, food water and treadmill

Talk to you tomorrow!

Karen
Old 11-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Judy - I think I'll join you in not weighing in this week. I did a sneak peek this morning and was horrified and then checked my rings. They're as tight as can be. So I may give it a pass tomorrow. I hear you about the temptation of going out. Is there a restaurant that you and Tony can go to that is program-friendly?

Karen - I wish I were looking forward to my trip to Mexico, but I'm just not. I'm putting on a show of it because John and Ana are really excited about going, but I would just rather stay home. Part of it is family dynamics, part of it is just general lack of interest. I really enjoy the whole wheat pasta too. John and Ana don't seem to mind it, so all is well. Yay for Mike on a great weight loss! Good job on the Halloween candy. I learned my lesson and didn't buy mine until later in the week. Unfortunately, I've dipped into it since a bit too much. I overbought and have to bundle up the leftovers for John to take to work.

I exercised both my right to vote and my body by walking to my polling place this morning. It was around a ten minute walk each way. I was going to hop into the car and then thought to myself it was ridiculous to drive when it was so close by and that jumping in the car to travel a few blocks is exactly why this country has an obesity problem. So I did my bit for both the electoral process and the nation's health this morning. I may have to jump on the stationary bike as well to work off the nervousness over this election. I really fear that this country could be headed for a disasterous four years depending on the outcome. And now to do my bit for the education of our youngest citizens by getting Ana up and ready for school.

Talk to you later.

Carla
Old 11-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning!

Carla - Good for you for not buying your Halloween candy till the end of the week. It makes a difference. Bummer on the water weight, but it will leave. I hope the warmth and sunshine in Mexico will cheer you up once you get there. I'm sure Ana will be beside herself before it's time to go! Good for you for walking to the polls today. I'll be watching the election results on tv tonight - for some odd reason I love watching political conventions and elections - doesn't matter what country.

Busy day today; work till noon, then FIL has a MD appointment, then I have a dental appointment, then we're picking up my parents from the airport after a month-long trip to England. Dinner tonight is planned leftovers from Sunday, so no cooking involved!

Have a great day.

Karen
Old 11-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #6  

Karen - way to go on having a good Halloween week. I don't know if I could have done so well with mini candy bars in the house! We bought tootsie roll pops and some kind of little packages of sour things (Tony did the shopping) - we had a lot of trick or treaters and ran out about 7 pm. I managed to ignore the pile in the faculty room on Monday though. Way to go on treadmilling!

Carla - I'm sorry you're not looking forward to your trip but I hope you have a good time anyway! Way to go on walking to the polls. I voted early this morning before heading to work for a (very) boring Superintendant's Day. Good idea to bundle up the leftover Halloween candy and send it off with John. I join you on the nervousness about the election and its outcome. At least the turnout seems to be unusually heavy.

I started out the day with the best of intentions. I had a good core breakfast this morning figuring that when I got to the "breakfast" before the speakers started, I'd have a piece of fruit if I felt like eating something. Well, nothing to be found except bagels. Did I need to take anything? No, but at least I only ate 1/2 of one. I had some fruit when I got home and then did a good 45 - 60 minutes of exercise. Tony and I decided to go out to dinner tonight. I had a drink and we split a salad. Then I had veal pizzaiola which wasn't too bad a dish - veal, peppers, onions, mushrooms and a red sauce - no white pasta, no cheese, etc. BUT I had a few too many pieces of bread. I've decided that I'm not going to try to figure out the points but will just try to eat just core for the rest of the week (maybe 1 point per day) and hope for the best. Oh, and exericse. I checked the calendar and it is PMS time. Well, the slide stops here and hopefully, I can pull out a maintain.

Judy
Old 11-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #7  
Canadian, eh?

Default Moving the Dog!

Good Morning!

Read yeterday's Skinny Daily Post for a good read on sugar addiction post halloween! Ack!

Judy - bread happens. And I generally dread meetings workkshops, seminars etc that provide food. There's usually nothing much healthy there. I've been taking my own yogurt to meetings with me at work and have been finding it helpful - people look at me like I'm from Mars when I start crumbling bits of walnuts into it, but oh well. Good for you for getting in all that exercise.

Today I can happily report a net loss of 1.2 lbs. I've decided I'm only going to work in terms of net loss from here. If I gain 2 lbs and then lose 1, it still leaves me a net gain of one. I want to know that I'm on a downward slope and not playing with the same numbers. I'm feeling very, very committed to eating healthily, and to making each day a day well lived. I'm trying to banish my tendencies of inertia and mindless eating. One day at a time.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 AM   #8  
Canadian, eh?

Darn. My ticker isn't working. Oh well. The dog moved!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #9  
Canadian, eh?

Now it's working again. Wonders never cease!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #10  

Karen - congratulatons on that great loss. I have to read the Skinny Daily Post - is that on this forum? I have to go looking. That's great that you are feeling really committed to eating healthily. I have regained some of my old exercising fervor so I guess we are on the right track! I'm still going to try to get into the 40's decade before Thanksgiving. As for yesterday, I should have just gone out to my car and gotten a fruit I brought - oh well. It could have been worse, I guess. I could have eaten the whole thing with cream cheese!

I'm tired and deptressed today so I have to be on my best behavior. I don't want to get political here so I will just say that I am disappointed and disgusted with the election. I suppose the good news is that after we got home from eating out yesterday, I didn't have a single thing to eat afterwards and just concentrated on drinking lots of water (restaurant food is always so seasoned and I could feel my rings tightening as the hours passed), even as the results got more and more disappointing. I was rewarded this morning with a much better sneak peek than the last few days so my goal is to make sure I stay on track for the rest of the week.

I went to bed too late last night to get up early to exercise but I'll do something when I get home.

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 11-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #11  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - I concur about your election results. It'll seem like no time at all till the next one rolls around. Sometimes at functions you just have to choose the least of the evils of available foods. I just ended up having a piece of 65th anniversary cake at work because I couldn't politely refuse it! No dessert for me tonight! There's a forum here for The Skinny Daily Post, or you can find it at www.skinnydaily.com . I've been reading my way through the archives. It's really excellent.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Karen - Congrats on a great loss. I can really sense your committment to living a more healthy life and getting the weight off. Good for you. I like your idea of working in terms of net loss. Tell me, did that 65th Anniversary cake have buttercream icing? Mmm. Sometimes you do have to just take that piece of cake. We still have to live our lives and participate in our days and sometimes that just involves a piece of cake.

Judy - I join you in your post-election feelings. I actually cried yesterday. I take solace in the fact that I live in a "blue" state and that we are sending to the Senate someone who is probably going to be one of our finest politicians: Barak Obama. I really look forward to voting for him for president one day. On a more local level, we finally managed to toss out an 18-term congressman who has accomplished not much of anything and are replacing him with a bright, young woman who should be a bright spot for our district. Sounds like you did pretty well at dinner. Karen is right, sometimes bread happens and sometimes we should just enjoy it. As for the bagel - good for you for limiting yourself to just 1/2. Bagels and cream cheese were always deadly temptations for me in meetings.

I'm still fighting a head cold and it seems to be winning. It probably doesn't help that I slept on the couch Tuesday night with the TV on and kept waking up to listen to election results. But I made up for it with a good night's sleep last night. I didn't weigh in yesterday, as planned. I'm trying to find some of that resolve that the two of you are displaying so magnificently. I'm taking huge steps backwards and that's not good. So, although each day may be a struggle, I'm just going to struggle through them. As for the trip to Mexico, I hope, as Karen suggested, that once I get down there the sun, sand, and ocean will cheer me up. If not, I'm sure the free booze will. :-)

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #13  
Canadian, eh?

Carla - hope you get the upper hand on your cold very soon. In the meantime, Nurse Karen prescribes rest, fluids, and magazines. All we can do is take one day at a time as we work to undo years of unhealthy eating and living habits. And each day makes a difference.

Salmon fillet with sauteed zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic on the menu tonight. I'm going to do 30 minutes on the treadmill when I get home. Mike and I took the dogs out for a moonlit walk by the river last night - it was quite romantic until I stepped in a really deep puddle and got a shoe full of water!

I wish you both a gentle day.

Karen
Old 11-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #14  

Karen - Thanks for your good (and gentle) wishes and thanks for the link to skinnydaily. I ead the "On the Sugar Wagon" post and really enjoyed it. Do you know how often she updates it? I hope you thoroughly enjoyed the piece of 65th anniversary cake. I think one of the things skinny people do (and I need to work on) is just eat what they really enjoy - if they taste some cake and it's only so-so, they won't finish the rest. Not me! Sorry to hear about your wet foot - I guess the dogs don't mind stepping in puddles. Yum, that dinner sounds great!

Carla - I'm so sorry the head cold seems to be winning/ I agree with Nurse Karen's prescription - it's time to take care of yourself! It's especially hard to find some of that resolve when you are feeling yucky physically as well as emotionally - so here are some {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} and get well wishes. I know you can get through this difficult period - and the first step is taking care of yourself (OK, I've said it twice now so I'll stop ;-) Sigh! I'm right there with you - I cried on the way home from work yesterday. After that, I was feeling so angry and upset that when I came home, I dug out a tape of a step/kickboxing workout and well um, I used the election (and some mental images) as motivation to kick and punch my way through something like 50 minutes of it. It helped a little until I saw "the smirk" on CNN when I walked into the den and Tony was watching tv.

At least I haven't used the election and my worries about this country as an excuse to eat so far. As a matter of fact, the only thing I had last night after dinner was a glass of milk and a piece of that oatmeal banana bread. I've been getting into the habit of having a glass of skim milk when I feel the need for a nosh in the evening - one of the reasons that I really love core. I got up early this morning to get into work early to do an OT observation for one of my classes so I didn't exercise. I was going to exercise when I got home, but I was just tired. I'm going to try get up early tomorrow for a short yoga workout - my back has been a little achy today. Tomorrow after work I'm going into the city to see a workshop by Albert Ellis (a psychologist). If I go -and do a write-up, I don't have to do two research abstracts for my special ed class - works for me. I'll probably prepare a sandwich to take along with me. I can't think of anything strictly core unless I just have a few fruits for dinner.

Have a great evening,
Judy
Old 11-04-2004, 08:52 PM   #15  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - It's updated often, sometimes daily, sometimes every two or three days. I'm up to Mar 2003's archives, and am finding her blog very inspirational. The workshop sounds ever so much better than writing research abstracts - hope you get something positive out of the day.

Carla - I forgot to say, nope the cake had some kind of edible petroleum product for frosting. Didn't stop me from eating it all though. If it had been buttercream, I'd have been fighting with myself about going back for a second piece!

Tomorrow brings a food challenge. We're having a groundbreaking ceremony at work tomorrow as construction begins for new cottages for our residents with dementia (my pet project). Along with the ceremony goes boring speeches from various dignitaries and board members, and, alas, platters of squares, cookies and other noxious substances. I'm hoping for a veggie platter as well, but I don't think it's likely. This all happens at 2:30 p.m. which is my huge danger zone time. I'm going to cart around a bottle of water and will have some sf/ff yogurt before the ceremony.

And now, as promised in my previous post, I'm off to burn some calories on the treadmill.

Sleep well.

Karen

Last edited by Merrylegs; 11-04-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Closed Thread