Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 5/17 - 5/23

Good morning all. I'm happy to report that I lost the 0.4 pounds that I gained 2 weeks ago. I'll be very happy if I can post a maintain next week. The weekend started off great - we went up to my cousin's in CT and had a fun afternoon and evening. Unfortunately, my uncle, who has been in a nursing home for 10 years, took a turn for the worse and we ended up at the hospital at 10 pm where my cousin, her brother and sister ended up having to make the decision that no one wants to have to make, that my uncle should be "kept comfortable". We got back late, lots of talking, etc. Same for SUnday morning. Tony and I got home in the early afternoon and all I could muster in the way of workouts was to plant some of the things we bought in CT. The stress of the situation got to me last night and I ate all kinds of things - totally emotional eating and I didn't count anything. I just figure, while we are "waiting" this week, I'll try not to use any FP's and maybe I can come out even. TOM is expected any day which hasn't made the whole emotional thing any easier. I suspect my uncle will pass away in the next few days, so as I said, if I can squeak out a maintain this week, I'll be very happy. I didn't get up to exercise this morning - I figured I needed all the sleep I could get having been so exhausted yesterday. I may try to do some upper body weights tonight after I get home from class (first summer session starts tonight) and have dinner. If I don't, I won't sweat it. I should be able to get up early tomorrow morning or work out after work.

Have a great one,
Judy
163.6/154.4/135
77/240 workouts
Old 05-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #2  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning -

Judy, I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. While "keeping someone comfortable" instead of rigorous medical intervention can be a difficult decision for a family to make, I'm convinced that it is by far the kindest for the elderly. It allows them to finish their lives without the indignity of machines, monitors and tubes. I will keep you and your family close in thought this week. Good for you for recognizing that you're eating emotionally. I'll be sending you no snacking vibes in the evenings.

We ended up not going away this weekend, so got lots done in the garden. We're leaving on Thursday for 10 days away. Eating was pretty good over the weekend. Mike had a Dr.'s appointment on Friday; our GP has ordered him to lose 30 lbs. He's all hot to trot to do South Beach, so I'll investigate and may join him on that plan.

Have a good day, everyone,

Karen
Old 05-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Judy - I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle and will certainly be keeping him and you and your family in my thoughts and prayers this week. I agree with Karen, it's a hard decision to have to make, but in the end it's the kindest one. At any rate, congrats on your loss. Just take care of yourself this week and don't fret about your points too much. Just remember, when you're dealing with something that's out of your control, taking control of what you can, like your eating, can make you feel a lot better.

Karen - How fun to look forward to a vacation. Where are you guys going? The South Beach Diet is a more reasonable low carb diet, am I right? I know on the WW site some have found success with falling the SBD food plan and using WW to control portions, etc. I'll be curious as to how you like it, if you decide to try it.

I'm pleased to report that I was OP, at least points and water-wise, throughout the weekend. This is a first in a long, long time. I still have 9 flex points in my pocket, which is not usual for a Monday morning. I'm hoping that this all translates to a good trip to the scale. I haven't done sneek peaks in a few days as I need a new battery for my scale. Now I just have to hang on through tomorrow. I should be ok, except tomorrow night I'm going to some kind of financial seminar with my MIL. It's put on by her AG Edwards office. Not much looking forward to it, but I hate to say no to my MIL all the time. I think they're serving appetizers and wine. I hope so as it's smack dab in the middle of dinner time. I'll have to eat low point throughout the day tomorrow and just take it easy with the appetizers. I'm driving, so taking it east with the wine is a given.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 05-18-2004, 08:39 AM   #4  

Just a quick post. My uncle died this morning and the funeral is tomorrow so I don't know how much I'll be able to get on. It is a blessing in disquise; he really didn't have much quality of life but it's a hard thing anyway. I did OK after class last night - never mind the hours before bedtime - we first sat down to eat dinner at 8:30. I did have one snack but that was it. I had to get reading done last night. It looks like this class will be good but it will be a LOT of work. Anthony is having his tonsils and adenoids out this morning and I will be going to visit him after work. I did get up to do a short power yoga workout this morning. I don't know how eating will be - it's actually our 7th yr anniversary today and Tony and I thought we might catch a bite on our way home from Krista's (Tony will be there this morning and will help Krista all day). I have to do school work tonight so hopefully that will help with any mindless snacking that might result in all the emotions. Oh, one good thing today was that my sneak peek this morning was much better than two days ago and TOM came this morning.

Take care,
Judy
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 AM   #5  

Hi all.

Judy - I'm so sorry about your uncle. What a blessing, though, for him and the family that he didn't linger. Again, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be thinking of Anthony too. I hope his recovery is quick and that he has a minimum of pain. Finally, Happy Anniversary to you and Tony. Hopefully you can take some time after life calms down to really celebrate. Hang in there.

I had a good day yesterday, although I did some late evening snacking. I still stayed within points and didn't use any flex points. I put a new battery in my scale and was pleased to see a good sneak peek this morning. I hope it stays around for tomorrow.

Carla
Old 05-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #6  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All

Judy - So sorry for your loss. A blessing though that he didn't linger for days and days. Hope all goes well for Anthony today with his T&A surgery. I wish him a very speedy recovery. And Happy Anniversary to you and Tony! Hope life will slow down a bit for you in a day or two. Your plate sounds way too full at the moment.

Carla - hope it goes well at the financial seminar tonight. We're going up to our property for 10 days. We bought a travel trailer to keep up there for us to "camp" in when we can get away, so my dad is going to tow it there for us on Thursday. I'll go up with him and take the dogs. My parents aren't going to stay, so it'll be just me and the hounds for two days; Mike will come up on Saturday to join us. We bought a generator on Sunday, so I won't have to do without the luxuries in life like hot water and microwave oven. Not really roughing it, but it'll be great to get out of the city for a while. Life is so much more laid back there.

Had a decent day foodwise yesterday, and today has been so far so good. I've been running FIL around to medical appointments and the cemetary today. I'd better start doing some packing for Thursday!

Have a good day,

Karen
Old 05-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #7  

Karen and Carla - thanks for your condolences. Yes, it is a blessing that he didn't linger for days and days and that he died quickly and without pain. It . was a bit tough at work in the morning but then the day took over. Anthony was doing very well when he first got home but then got very tired and (understandably) cranky. Tony and I left after a while and went to have dinner at a great Italian restaurant - it was a brief but lovely respite and a nice anniversary dinner. I didn't do too badly: one piece of bread, shared salad and I only ate half of a nice, not too naughty pasta dish. I took the resdt home and plan on having it after school tomorrow night.

There are obvious challenges tomorrow - lots of emotions and there will also be lots of food. I'll do my best and go on from there.

Carla - good luck at the seminar. Karen - 20 days in beautiful surroundings sounds great - enjoy it - we'll miss you!

Take care,
Judy
Old 05-19-2004, 01:00 AM   #8  
Canadian, eh?

Hi -

Just got in from seeing Dr. Ruth Westheimer in Vancouver, she was lecturing for a Unique Lives and Experiences series. She's so tiny - only 4'7'' and a real livewire. She spoke mostly about her early life; most interesting. I met a friend for dinner first; had a beer and steamed mussels, so managed not to do too much damage to the day.

Judy, I will be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope the funeral and reception go well, and that the day isn't too sorrowful. I'm sure you'll see people you haven't connected with in years there. I'm glad Anthony is doing well after his surgery - no doubt he'll be back to his usual self in a few days. Your dinner sounds lovely.

I likely won't make it here tomorrow as I have tons of chores and errands to accomplish, plus I have to go to an opthalmologist appointment. I'll be back on the 30th, rested and recharged (with any luck!!). I shall miss you two immensely. See you at the end of the month!

Karen
Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #9  

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this thread and almost hate to jump in because it seems like you're all a big family! That's great. I started Monday doing WW at home. I've been good so far. I have to take it one day at a time, because I am definitely a compulsive eater.

Well, I just wanted to say hi to everyone.
Brenda
Old 05-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #10  

Hi all.

Brenda - Please don't be shy about jumping in. Judy, Karen and I have known each other via this thread for several years, but we love having new friends join us. So, just keep right on posting. I'm with you on taking it one day at a time. It makes this a lot easier, I think.

Judy - I'm thinking about you today and sending you {{{hugs}}}. I know it's going to be a difficult day. I hope Anthony is feeling better today and recovering nicely. It sounds like you and Tony had a nice anniversary dinner and it sounds like you did great program-wise. A huge pat on the back to you.

Karen - In the event you get back here today, have a great vacation! Ten days away from the hustle and bustle on beautiful property sounds like heaven to me - especially the 2 days to yourself part. I'm not a fan of roughing it, so hot water and a microwave sound great. And I definitely don't consider hot water a luxury! :-) We'll miss you.

I'm happy to report a three pound loss. It aggrevates me that I'm retreading old territory, but at least I'm losing and not gaining. I did well at the seminar last night - it was all hors d'ouvers, so it was easy to track. And I just ate a bit of my cheesecake. Of course all that good behaviour led to some gratuitous snacking last night, but all in all in was a successful week for me. This week will hold some challenges. Friday is Ana's 6th birthday (hard to believe) and I'm not sure yet whether we'll go out or I'll make spaghetti (her favorite). Saturday we may go out to dinner with the extended family. And Sunday is her school program and picnic, but that's a bring your own picnic deal, so I'll have complete control over that. I'm going to try very hard to tough it through. I want another good weigh-in next week!.

Talk to you later.

Carla
279.6/255.8/145
Old 05-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #11  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Brenda! Welcome to the WIAH thread! Ditto all that Carla said. I'm looking forward to getting to know you when I get back from my vacation. Sounds like you're doing well.

Carla - what a great loss! Hooray for you!! Ana can't be six already! Seems like just a year or two ago you were setting off to Bolivia. I hope she has a very happy birthday. Good luck on all the upcoming food challenges.

Judy - keeping you close in thought today.

OK it's official. I'm outa here till the 30th. Be good. No snacking for 2 two hours before bed (says she who will be snarfing down toasted marshmallows at midnight). Wishing you waterlogged days and wonderful weighins.

Lots of love,
Karen
Old 05-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #12  

Karen - I guess you'll miss this post but I know you know I'm wishing you a fabulous two weeks in the beauty of nature. Have fun and I know you'll be getting lots of nature walks in! Thanks for your caring thoughts.

Carla - Woohooo on the 3 pounds. I know what you mean about re-visiting the territory - I have a few pounds to go to get into recent "virgin" territory and am a little frustrated that I'm not closer to it but like you said, you are losing not gaining and that's the important thing. Congratulations on doing so well the other night. Even though Anthony and Ana are the same age it's still amazing that it was 6 years ago that you were getting ready to go to Bolivia to get your little angel! I *know* you'll do well with all your challenges - you are on a roll now, girlfriend! Have you been able to work out at all (says the semi-drill sergeant)? Thanks for all the hugs and caring thoughts.

Breanda - yes, we are like a family but we love new arrivals too so join us and welcome!

Yesterday was a tough day but I'll post a little more later. I'm trying to do a little (grad) school work before the kids come but should be able to post more this evening. Thanks again for the hugs and caring thoughts - they've really helped!

Judy
Old 05-20-2004, 09:11 AM   #13  

Carla and Judy: Thanks for the great welcome! I'm on my fourth day of counting points and I've done great (for me!). I've also gone to Curves twice. It's been a hard week. My one year old daughter was sick, then my one year old cat died very unexpectedly which made my three year old son very upset. I've been on so many diets in the past and have just compulsively eaten. This is the first time in a long time that I've felt optimistic. Wouldn't it be nice if we could take a pill before going to bed and wake up at goal weight???

Brenda
Old 05-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #14  

Hi all.

Judy - I hope today is a calm day for you so you can recuperate from yesterday. Yeah, it is so hard to believe that it's been five years since we've been home with Ana and close to six that we were waiting and waiting and waiting... One of these days we're going to see a brand spanking new number on the scale and it will be a day of great rejoicing. My benchmark right now is to get below the weight I was when we came home with Ana. As for working out, I have to wrap my mind around that again. I'll "rehearse" doing it in my mind for the next couple of days and by Monday I'll be ready to make it a reality.

Brenda - Sounds like you've had a rough week. Here's some {{{hugs}}} for you. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. We're all animal lovers on this thread. I have a cat, Judy has I think three now and Karen has three dogs. So we know what an important part of your family they are. My daughter, Ana was 4 when one of our cats died a couple of years ago and it made her very upset too. Hey, congrats on going to curves twice and on 4 days of counting points. The really nice thing about this program, in terms of compulsive eating, is that nothing is forbidden, you just have to plan it and count it. For me that helps curb the urge to start stuffing my face. As for the magic pill, yep it would be nice if it existed and it would be even nicer if I invented it.... what I could do with that kind of money!

I had a good day yesterday and ended the day one point below target. Today I'm having lunch with a friend and I have a jones for a juicy burger and some fries. And I think I'm going to have them. I'll count them and eat a low point dinner and use some flex points if I have to. But I know from experience if I crave something this badly and don't have it, I'm setting myself up for a load of snacking later. Anyway, I feel pumped today because I'm in a pair of shorts that a size smaller than what I've been wearing. That's always a major boost for me.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 05-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #15  

Brenda - I hope your daughter is better and I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Yes, we ARE a group of animal lovers and I know how hard it is for your family. Please accept my condolences. I like to think of my angel kitties as sitting on G-d's sunny window snoozing away as cats like to do. You are doing GREAT this week - congratulations and keep it up!

Carla - I'll keep workint (slogging, recently) towards that new number on the scale! Enjoy the burger and fries - you are right, you should have it, count it and eat low point for dinner, otherwise you may slip into a snack fest.

I can't wait for this week to end - today, on the way home, I rear-ended a car on the way home - totally my fault and nothing but paint damage but not what I needed. Between yesterday morning, and cracking up before class last night (on the phone with my cousin - I *really* wanted to stay in CT longer) my head is a little sore, ya' know? Anyway, I lost it a bit on the way home after the accident, got home and got on the treadmill and did a little run/walk. I'm relaxing a bit now in front of the tv but have to do some school work for a couple of hours. Anyway, I'd like to think I'll get to do a little yoga before bed but the chances are probably slim. Oh well, hopefully I'll get to bed early and get up and do a little yoga before work tomorrow. I didn't do too badly with food yesterday all things considered and still have some FP's. I may or may not go to my meeting on Sat - I have a ton of school work to do and I want to use the ballet tickets I have for Sunday - last time I had tickets, I ended up studying instead!

Have a great one!
Judy
Closed Thread