Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:33 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 5/5 - 5/11

Starting the topic - be right back
Old 05-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #2  

Good morning all. I'm afraid I don't have up-to-date weigh in information because I slept in on Saturday morning. I was up way too late on Friday night and just rolled over and went back to sleep when the alarm went off!

I had a pretty good weekend though. I did a good strength workout on Saturday and Tony and I had a good dinner and I managed to control my snacking. I think the idea that my parents' 50th anniversary party is about a month away (it's at our house) has given me some motivation - I would really like to drop a few pounds before then. My mom and I went to the ballet yesterday and then my my parents and Tony and I went to my mom's favorite Italian restaurant for her birthday. I didn't do badly - I had a couple of glasses of wine and Mom and I split a dessert but I didn't stuff, took 1/2 my dinner home (which we will have for dinner tonight with a salad) and didn't have anything else in the evening.

Have a great one!
Judy
163.6/155.6/135 (numbers from 2 weeks ago)
and 85/240 workouts
Old 05-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Sabrina - Good to hear from you. I did a lot of soul searching this weekend. I'm in a better place for it. Hope you're enjoying your new job!

Judy - Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend all the way around. Which ballet did you see? Good for you for taking 1/2 your dinner home and for splitting a dessert. Did you have something yummy?

I had a good weekend too - first two good days I've strung together in awhile. I didn't count points or journal, but I ate very sensibly. Got in a lot of water too. And last night I did no snacking after dinner. Fortunately the number on the scale was lower today that it has been. The number skyrocketed a few days ago and stayed there. It scared me straight, I'll tell you - that and the Oprah show that I watched Friday. She did follow-ups with guests from previous shows, including a woman who was on 16 years ago as part of one of the first shows Oprah did on what is like to be obese. This woman, who lives in Manhatten, wouldn't let Oprah do a follow-up on her until Friday's show, because she was so ashamed of how bad she had gotten. At her highest she weighed 525 pounds, couldn't walk more than a block without resting, etc. She had gastric bypass surgery and modified her eating habits and now she's down to 277 and still going. And I realized that with the weight that seemed to jump on last week, I was just a hair or two under 300 pounds and that I was at a crossroads. Either I quit goofing around, get serious, stick with the program and lose this weight, starting now, or I soon become that woman, with my weight incapacitating me and then killing me. And then I started thinking about what Ana would do without me. And I thought about how hard it was for me to lose my father at 17 and how it still affects me in so many ways. And thought about Ana having to deal with losing a mother at an even younger age on top of having to deal with the normal adoption issues. To have two mothers bail on you.... - it really shook me up. So now I'm really at a do or die stage, I feel, and there's only one option - do. Now I have to find a way to explain this to my dr. on Wednesday (he's not going to be happy with the number on the scale and I want him to know how serious I am) without breaking down crying. But I've had it and I'm doing this. It's not going to be easy all the time. There are going to be days that I'll want to say the heck with it all, and there will probably still be days that I do say that. But this time, the good days are going to outnumber the bad and the bad days aren't going to start a bad week, month, etc.

Ok, that was heavy enough for a Monday. On to lunch, dishes, straightening the house, figuring points for tonight's dinner and then the playground with Ana.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 05-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #4  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning,

Sorry I didn't get here last week. The flu at work has taken all my time, then I was in Victoria helping Jen move.

Judy, good for you for putting in a good weekend. How brave of you to host a 50th wedding anniversary party. It's my parents' next year...they don't want a big party, so I'm trying to figure out some kind of family function. The brothers, of course, are leaving it all to their little sister to look after.

Carla, {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}you've done some very heavy duty soul searching. It's so important to stop every once in a while and look inward, and to figure out exactly what it is that is most important. And that's you. You need to look after you so that you can be there for Ana. Don't worry about breaking down in tears at the doctor's office...be real. He'll understand, and if he doesn't, he's a jerk. There are all kinds of ways to approach this weight loss thing, and if this way isn't working for you, we'll be there every step of the way to support you in something else. What about trying a med for a short time to get a few pounds off?
Losing even a bit that way would give you more energy to get up and moving on a regular basis. Or what about low carbing for a while? Just brainstorming a bit...whatever it takes, we're here for you. Okay? Okay.

I'm hanging in in there at status quo. It's barbeque season again, which means lots of green salad, green veggies, and lean grilled meat at our house. Looking forward to dropping a few pounds enjoying some great food.

Have a good day...I'll try to get back later.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #5  

Hi all.

Karen - Thank you for your kind words, your support and your encouragement. I know my doctor would be nothing but understanding, it's just that I hate being that vulnerable. One of my things, I guess. Although I haven't done the best job with it, I really think I'll stick with WW for now. I know from past experiences with WW pre- 123 Success that I rebel against being told much or how little of a food or food group I can eat. I need the boundries that points give, but I need the freedom of choice within those boundries. I hope that the worst of the flu at work is over and done with and your life can get a bit less hectic. How's school? I too am looking foward to grilled meats and lots of veggies and salads.

I had a good day yesterday. I ate under my minimim by 4 points, but that's ok. I decided that eating few points for a week or two would help jump start a loss. More importantly, everything I ate yesterday was healthy and I got in all my fruit/vegetables and milk servings. The only non-fruit/veggie snack that I had was a Healthy Choice ice cream bar, because I had it in the house. I didn't buy any snack like food at the store on Sunday because I want to really break the snack habit and for me, like with cigarettes, that means going cold turkey until I feel ready to work them back in my diet sensibly. I also realized yesterday that I've got to treat this obesity like a chronic disease (which it is, really) that can be controlled and managed, but only through making accomodations to it that might be a pain, that I might not want to do (i.e. counting points, no snacking). Kind of like thinking like a diabetic before I actually become one.

And now I must go shopping for some professional clothes. I have an interview Monday morning and have absolutely nothing suitable to wear. Pantyhose, pumps.... who needs them. Unfortunately, I do. Talbots, here I come.

Talk to you later.

Carla
Old 05-07-2003, 11:00 AM   #6  

Carla - first of all {{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} to you. I'm osrry I wasn't on to see your post yesterday - I took a mental health day and didn't get on the computer at all. I think the soul searching you did is what is going to mean the difference. After all, as Oprah has said many times, it's not all about the food. I did see the program on Oprah on Friday. You have some really strong motivators to work with - and we will be here every day to help you as much as we can. I'm with Karen - don't worry about getting upset with the doctor. You like this guy, right? I doubt he'll be a jerk and he'll see how serious you are. I am totally in agreement with you about the snacks. While I haven't stopped them altogther, the past few days I decided that they had to be healthy - fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt etc. Although I did have popcorn last night I haven't had any non-healthy *sweet* things and while I find that it's hard, NOT having sweet non-healthy snacks makes it easier to stop snacking - the healthy stuff is more satisfying or at least it doesn't make you crave more. It sounds like you've been finding that too. I don't think a few days of being under minimum will hurt you - I agree that a little jump start will help but don't do it too much because you know what eating under your minimum can do - no lectures, I promise. Anyway, we are here for you - ALWAYS!!!!!!!!! Is the interview on Monday the one we talked about?

Karen - I hope the worst of the flu is over now and work can get back to normal a little. How did the move go? I know what you mean about grilling season - we used it for the first time this season last week - tuna steak on the grill - yum! I don't know about being brave hosting the party - my sister and I are splitting the cost and we are catering it - not just bringing in the food but having people there to heat things up, serve them, etc. This way, we'll get to enjoy it too. This is mostly a family function with some of their good friends coming too. It will probably be around 30 people or so - a few more than a Thanksgiving but since it's being catered (including them setting up tables and bringing dishes, etc) it should be a lot less work.

I had a OK day yesterday. I took a mental health day from work - it was rainy and dreary and I was feeling really down. One good thing though - the friend Tony is in business with came over for a bit. I was talking to him about my wanting to get out of this job/industry and go into education. His daughter teaches in one of our town's elementary schools and I spoke with her yesterday about who to send a resume to about a teacher assistant job - the idea being that I could hopefully get a job as a teachers assistant in town and go back to school at night for my masters. Anyway, it gave me a boost and I'm planning on getting that out in the next couple of days. I didn't get in any exercise yesterday but plan on doing something today. I'm trying to continue my "healthy snack only" tonight - the only exception being popcorn - it doesn't make me crave more like the sweet junk does.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 05-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #7  

Hi all.

Judy - Thanks to you too for the support and encouragement. Yeah, I do like my dr. and I know he won't be a jerk. As for the snacking, it is a bit hard keeping it healthy, isn't it? I suspect it will get easier as time goes on. I don't know why I expect that I'll decide to stop eating junk and it will be so easy. I know better, but it trips me up every time. Some lessons I guess we just don't learn. Keeping the snacks healthy does indeed reduce the cravings for more, though. I consider popcorn a healthy snack, so go ahead and enjoy! And get that resume out the door! Being a teacher's assistant would help you to confirm that teaching is the career you want to go for. And yes the job interview that I have on Monday is the one we talked about - the one that dovetails nicely with my preferred job criteria of "put me in a cubicle, give me my work, and leave me the heck alone."

I had a good day yesterday, although I used a couple of banked points (so Judy, no fear I'll eat at minimum points for any extended length of time :-) ). I had a bowl of beef broth and vegetables and a couple of slices of bread for dinner and that just didn't hold me. But I kept the snacks healthy. And as a reward, the scale showed a 2.6 loss from two weeks ago. So far, so good. I rode my bike a bit ago and now it's on to the shower and then to the doctor.

Talk to you later.

Carla
Old 05-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #8  

Carla - Way to go on losing 2.6!!! We CAN do this and we WILL do this! I sure hope the healthy snacking gets easier over time too - I know that this week it is hard - of course, being in the midst of PMS doesn't help. I did have a few pretzels last night - not terrible but sort of empty calories - but I didn't go over points. As for popcorn, there's a woman at my meeting who lost her weight a couple of years ago and has kept it off and she told me that she has popcorn as a snack almost every night. It sure does keep my mouth busy for along time! Way to go for getting on the bike and good luck at the doctors. The resume is out the door for the teaching assistant position - both in the mail and dropping ne off in person. Keep your fingers crossed for me - it would be perfect... right here in town, it would help me confirm that I do want to go into education (as you said) and with summers off I can get more courses in if I decide to go for the Masters in Ed.

I had an OK day yesterday although PMS is here and I was looking for salty things last night. I didn't do too badly although between the pretzels and the heavy on the sodium dinner we had last night, my rings were very tight this morning. I've been guzzling water like crazy though and plan on doing some sort of workout after work. I did a strength workout yesterday so today will be either aerobics or yoga - or maybe a little of both.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 05-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #9  

Hi all.

Judy - I'll keep everything that I can cross crossed for you! Good for you for getting your resume sent. And more kudos for doing so well with snacking, especially during PMS. Quite the victory, I think. I had popcorn myself last night - the "real stuff, meaning made in a pan instead of the microwave. I'd been craving it and bought some last week. It was yummy and I measured and counted it!

This morning I had a real victory of willpower. John and I had our appointment with the caseworker. We rolled into town early and since neither of us had had breakfast or coffee, we went to a Mexican bakery to get something. I have never in my life seen so many pastries, slices of cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc. in one place. I could have done considerable damage. But I had a muffin - a plain muffin. And now I'm about to have a sensible lunch. Maybe this is starting to take hold! The doctor's visit went ok - no mention of my weight. I guess he decided to give me a break. I have to go back on the nexium because my heartburn and stomach pain have been bothering me again. Other than that, it's all a-ok. I forgot to post my stats yesterday, so I'll do that now.

Have a great day.

Carla
273.6/271/140
Old 05-08-2003, 08:33 PM   #10  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All

Judy - too bad the PMS thing is raising its head again. Mine's just about done now. Wise to indulge in all your salty things a couple of days before the weigh in - you still have time to flush it out before Saturday. Hooray for you for getting your resume out there. You walked through a door that opened for you ... glad that you recognized opportunity when it knocked. (How can you tell I'm reading a Cheryl Richardson book?)

Carla - congratulations on your loss! That's really terrific. Good for you for the willpower today. Was your appointment today in relation to your adoption application? Glad to hear your Dr's appt went well. Did you find something to wear to your interview? Good luck with that!

Yikes...I'm back up to my January weight. Time to stop using school and work as an excuse to ignore my health. I want that darn horse too! On the bright side, our flu outbreak has been declared over by the medical health officer, so things are getting back to normal at work today. I'm plugging along with school. I'm beginning to think I was a bit ambitious to take 2 courses at once, but I'll see how it goes. Jasper has been coming to work with me...I've found a great spot to take him for a 15 minute walk that's a five minute drive from work, so that'll help a bit with the exercise. I have to call my trainer and get back to the gym too. God I wish there were a few more hours in the day!

Have a great weekend, as I may not make it here till Monday, although I'll try!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:53 AM   #11  

Carla - good for you for choosing the best option at the Mexican bakery!! How did the appointment with the casework go? I'm glad that the doctor's visit went OK - I'll bet at the next one, you'll be showing him how much progress you made in losing the weight. Thanks for the crossed everything. I *really* hope it works out.

Karen B - Sorry to hear about the weight but I'm glad to hear that you are looking past the excuses - that's progress in thinking that WILL show up on the scale. Good news about the flu outbreak being over. I'm reading what you write about school very closely since it's something I will be doing (hopefully) this time next year (I've missed all deadlines for taking courses in the fall). Way to go on finding ways to get in the exercise and calling the personal trainer!

I had an OK day yesterday. I stayed within my points range yesterday although I did have popcorn in the evening. I can feel my rings are tight again this morning so my plan is to forgo the popcorn tonight and replace it with something else that's healthy but low in sodium. I did a yoga tape last night which felt good - I think I'm going to have to get to my podiatrist soon though because I have a pain in my heel (backward facing part not underside of the foot) that's been bothering me when I try stretching. I iced it last night and am going to go a little light on workouts for the next couple of days while I continue to ice it. I don't think it's another manifestation of plantar fascitis (sp?) - a VF friend suggested maybe it's an achilles tendonitis. in any case, I want to be smart so I don't end up making it worse.

Tonight will be a bit of a challenge - it's PMS time and Tony is playing cards tonight after dinner (which will be pizza). I *know* I tend to snack too much when he's not around so my plans right now are to either do some light aerobics after I've digested or to get online and find the names of people in nearby school districts to whom to send resumes for teaching assistant positions. Maybe if I'm ambitious, I'll do both!

Have a great day and if I don't get back on, a great weekend!
Judy
Old 05-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #12  

Hi all.

Karen - Sorry to hear about the gain. But now the worst of the flu is over, you're settling into a routine with school, and you can once again reign in the eating. You were on overload and it's easy to slip then. Yep, the caseworker appointment was for the adoption - the local part. Gosh, I blocked out of my mind how much paperwork there is, and we haven't even got the Ecuador stuff yet. What a good plan to bring Jasper to work!

Judy - Your plans to occupy yourself tonight sound good. I vote for doing both - surf some, workout some, surf some, workout some... I hope your ankle feels better soon. You're wise to get it checked out.

After my success at the bakery in the morning, I had a run-in with some cake in the eveing. But, I had banked points to cover it, so I'm still in good shape. I've strung together four days OP - more than I have in a long, long time. I want to build my bank back up though, because Sunday we're going to my cousin's house for Mother's Day and there's not going to be much there that will be point-friendly. I plan on not getting freaked out with trying to count points, but doing my best.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Carla
Closed Thread