Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone and welcome to a new week.

Judy - My memory isn't all that great, but I did remember that Anthony is 2 months older than Ana. What I didn't remember is that he's 2 month's older to the day. Ana's birthday is the 21st of May! I understand entirely what you mean about wanting the severence package at work. That's where I was a couple of weeks ago until my company made an offer to me that I'm considering. Decisions, decisions. I hope everything works out for the best for you. Hope you're ok and coping well with the snowstorm we've heard is headed your way.

Holly - How did the weekend go? I'm sure it went fine. Were you able to plan? I know what you mean about not wanting to go to restaurants where you can't figure out the points. You'll ease up with that as you get more comfortable with assessing point values for things on your own. You're so right about motivation - success breed success and motivation.

I'm very please to report a 2 pound loss this week. Yep, working the program works. Could it be we're all breaking out of our winter doldrums? (Although after a tantalizing hint of spring for a couple of days winter is back with a vengence.) I'm even more please that I actually got out of bed and - drumroll please - got on the stationary bike for 1/2 hour this morning. I spent all day yesterday thinking of reasons that I couldn't start the Self Challenge today, couldn't start it at all.... So I finally told myself to shut up and do it. So, here it goes....

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
255/253/138
Old 03-05-2001, 06:38 PM   #2  

Wow, a new look to the site!!

Pat, hope your weekend went well.

Carla, I know quite a few Luth/Cath's. Hubby's side is Luth and my side is Cath. Now my son is marrying a Cath, so we'll see what they do. My Dad teases me that I changed to avoid giving up something for lent.

Judy, it sounds like you needed a mental health day. I so admire the way you turn to excercise rather than food. I hope some stability comes soon to the situation. Hang in there.

Weekend was mediocure. I know I didn't stay on the program, but not as bad as some times.

Am I the only west coast person and a junior to boot! Jan
Old 03-06-2001, 07:55 AM   #3  

Jan, you may be on the west coast but you are no junior. Some of the designations got changed over the wekend. You can actually go into the profile and change it to whatever you want.

I weigh in tomorrow but the sneak peaks do not look good. Too many excuses to eat more than I should. We are snowed in for at least today, and there is no point going out into the blizzard to push snow around yet. So I am going to hit the ski machine and pop in a yoga tape, afterward of course.

Liza
Old 03-06-2001, 10:59 AM   #4  

Carla – Congratulations on the 2 pound loss – awesome! Oh, and a great big WAHOOOO for getting on that exercise bike! How was your ankle. I never got a chance to check out the Self Challenge. Is it on the At Home forum or another one? I hope everything works out well for you too, whatever you decide. I knew Ana’s birthday was in May – I just didn’t remember hers was on the 21st too!

Jan – sorry to hear that your weekend was mediocre. I’m sure you’ll “recover” quickly and have a good week – just don’t dwell on it. I wish I always turned to exercise and not food – the funny thing is, I really enjoy exercising – it’s become such a part of my daily routine that I really miss it when I don’t!

Whew – it’s good to find the site again. Well I managed to squeak out a 0.6 loss to make 5 pounds total! I didn’t have the best weekend – we ended up going out to eat but not the place I planned on and well, I sort of gave in to some foods I haven’t had in a while. The upshot is that I’ve got a 6 point deficit that I hope to erase today with some exercise and low point eating. I’m expecting TOM this week so I’m hoping that some of the sweet/salty cravings end. The snow hasn’t been as bad as they first expected but we may end up with 10 inches when it’s all said and done. I can’t wait for spring!

Have a great Think Thin Tuesday,
Judy
163.6/158.6/135
Old 03-06-2001, 11:03 AM   #5  

Lisa,
We must have been posting at the same time. Where are you located again? I'm on Long Island in Nassau and we have about 5 inches so far but it isn't stopping!

Sorry to hear you've had a tough time but it's good to hear you are going to do something good for you - the ski machine and the yoga tape. Good luck tomorrow and if it's not the number you want to see, put it behind you and keep on going. We'll all get there as long as we don't give up!
Old 03-06-2001, 11:09 AM   #6  

Default I'm new - can I weigh in?

I'm 5 weeks into the program and have lost 8 pounds. My husband has lost almost 20. I'm still trying to decide if I want to hold it against him or not! Ha!

I'm in Indiana and it's really cold today! I was going to go shopping, but I just don't want to take my son out in this wind and chill. He's napping, and I'm having fun discovering this site!

Glad to be here!

200/192/150
Old 03-06-2001, 01:12 PM   #7  

Hi everyone.

Judy - Hope this doesn't find you snow-bound. The Self Challenge was mentioned here in the WW At Home forum, but you can just go to self.com. My ankle did ok. I didn't use my brace, though, and I think next time I will.

Jan - Sorry to hear your weekend was mediocre. Judy's right - just put it behind you.

Liza - I hope you're not snow-bound as well. Sorry to hear the sneak peeks weren't what you wanted. Good for you for getting on the ski machine and then doing yoga.

Pharmgirl - Welcome and congratulations on the weight you've lost so far. You're doing great. It's unfair how much more quickly men can lose weight. It was cold here in Illinois also.

I had a good day yesterday. I ate all my points, even the 2 that I earned exercising, but that's what they're there for. Tonight I plan on doing some stretching and lifting some weights. Dinner is planned out and I should have plenty of points to spare.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 03-06-2001, 04:32 PM   #8  

PharmGirl - welcome! It sounds like you and your husband are going great - keep up the good work! Enjoy exploring this site - it's been a godsend for me!

Carla - way to go! It sounds like you are getting in a groove. You betcha - those points are there to be eaten if you want to; I still find myself feeling a little guilty when I do but I'm working on it. I keep reminding myself that I don't want my body to think it's time to go into starvation mode.

I did a great workout during lunch that almost wiped away my deficit and I'm planning on doing some weights after work. Work was miserable today and I need to work off some stress. At least I haven't snacked through it!

Have a great evening everyone.
Judy
Old 03-06-2001, 11:18 PM   #9  
Determined Chick!

Hi guys! I got up early and typed a lengthy post, decided to try the spell checker, my computer froze and I lost my post! Ugh! Good news: lost 1.8 this week :-) Still journaling, still OP! I was very nervous about tonight's weigh in as I knew the first week's big loss was a lot of water. I think I will tweak (sp?) my program this week and see if I can maximize my losses. I'd really like to try for a consistent 2 lb loss, but I also don't want to be hungry all the time. (I almost always eat at the high end of my pts.) I was going crazy with this site down over the weekend. I have come to rely on you guys to keep me focused and on track. I check in almost every AM and get fired up for the day, and I log on in the evenings when I'm about to be overtaken by my urge to snack! I was wishing we had an email ring set up so that we could have all been in touch :-)

Cece -- GOOD FOR YOU! Great loss :-). Isn't it motivating to see what you can achieve? Did you eat at the higher or lower end of your range? BTW, my husband did RCIA with me before our wedding so he could get confirmed at the same time I was switching teams - so to speak - from Protestant to Catholic! Funny that we are both from the same area, and both had very similar religious experiences <twilight zone music> ;-)

Judy - Congrats on your 1st five lbs gone! I admire your ability to make up for going over your pts one day by cutting back and exercising more the next. I think a healthy lifestyle would incorporate making up for overdoing it one day, with cutting back the next and exercise. Keep it up!

Jan - Was that a maintain for you this week then? Weekends are very hard, but just being aware of your difficult times is a step in the right direction. You can do it!

Liza - I'm crossing my fingers for you on your weigh-in -- I hope it is a good one. If not, you are already on the right track with all your planned exercise....moving forward :-)

Pharmgirl - welcome and congrats on 8 lbs gone!!

I sure hope I didn't miss anybody, but I've got to hit the sack - let's have a successful week guys!!!
Old 03-07-2001, 09:42 AM   #10  

Judy - I forgot to congratulate you on your first 5 pounds gone. Good work! I hope the sweet/salty cravings are leaving you. They're the worst.

Holly - Congratulations on another great loss. Don't worry about eating at your high points - if you're hungry use your points. After a few weeks of being OP, you may find the need to snack will wane and you'll use up less points. Actually, I went over my points just about every day last week. I wasn't surprised to still see a loss because at my weight any kind of cutback is likely to produce results. I do plan on sticking to my point range this week, but as I go forward I may decide not to drop into the lower ranges if I can continue to lose weight at the higher range. Amazing that we've both had similar experiences with RCIA!

I had another good day yesterday. I actually banked 3 points. I didn't get in any stretching or strength work - I feel asleep on the couch instead. This morning I had to get to work early, so I didn't get on the bike. But I did enjoy a nice, brisk walk to the train station.

Have a great day, everyone.

Carla
Old 03-07-2001, 10:50 AM   #11  

Holly – congratulations on a great loss! I think it’s great to try to tweak your program, but just remember not to go below your minimum and I agree, don’t be hungry – that’s always a recipe for disaster for me.

Carla – way to go on banking those points and getting in a nice brisk walk. I hope you feel more rested today. Thanks for the congratulations.

Well, I said that yesterday at work was terrible and that so far I hadn’t succumbed to emotional eating. Unfortunately, that didn’t last throughout the evening. I found myself dwelling on the things that had pi**ed me off and reached for food. The funny thing was, I knew what I was doing but I did it anyway! I calculated the damage this morning and instead of being a couple of points ahead, I am now 12 points in the red. That was yesterday though. I decided to do a good workout today and to do a yoga tape after work. I blew that off yesterday and I think it would have helped me deal with the day. So, here’s to salvaging the week – TOM is an second now – it should be an interesting weigh in on Saturday!

Judy
Old 03-07-2001, 12:04 PM   #12  

Wow, the sun is out!

Carla, you are really hanging in there. Staying OP on top of a 2 lb loss. Keep going!! I checked out the SELF challenge and I liked the check off list. Sounds like you are stringing those good days together.

Liza, good for you to hit the tapes while the weather is miserable. We just got done with a storm which I am sure is headed your way. Thanks for telling me how to change the designation.

Judy, congrads on the loss. Little by little and with all that excercise, you are getting there.

Welcome PharmGirl, and what a great loss and hubby too! Great way to do it together. Hopefully, you will inspire me to work harder.

Having a little problem with viewing replies that I didn't have before. Seems wider than before. I'm sure it will work out.

This was weigh in day and I had about .25 lb gain. Need to control snackingitis!! Have been walking everyday even in the rain. Did a some stretchs combined with fighting off the dog (does that count for anything) and want to start some strength stuff.

Keep up the good work all - Jan
Old 03-07-2001, 12:06 PM   #13  

Judy - Girlfriend, I really feel for you. I know how tough things are at work now. Isn't almost like an out-of-body
experience. You're watching yourself eat something you shouldn't, but you just can stop yourself from doing it. And it probably didn't make you feel any less p***ed off in the long run, right? Been there, done that, many, many times. But you're right - that was yesterday. Today's today. Repair the damage as much as you can, but don't obsess over it or overly deprive yourself. I thought of you last night - we had sushi for dinner (veggie sushi for me). It's such a points bargain and I feel really full after it.

Here's hoping you have a better day today.

Carla
Old 03-07-2001, 03:38 PM   #14  

Jan - Awww, a 0.25 gain is just water! I think it's great that you are getting out to take walks even in the rain. Adding some strength trianing will complete the "triangle" - there's 3 legs or sides to fitness - aerobics, strenth and flexibility and they are all important. I'm going to make sure to get my stretching in later - it'll be good for my head too! LOL about snackingitis - that's a bug that's definitely going around!

Carla - bless your heart. It wasn't even that I couldn't stop myself - I didn't WANT to! And no, it didn't make me feel one bit better. You're right about not obsessing about working off the deficit (you know me too well!) but I am going to try to whittle it down some and hope for the best. Today has been a lot better. In any case, I'm planning on doing a yoga tape after work which really helps me manage the stress.
Old 03-07-2001, 05:04 PM   #15  

Jan - We were posting at the same time. Judy's right - that gain is just water. I have snackingitis too. And I don't always pick the healthiest of snacks, either. Way to go walking, even in the rain.

Judy - Yep, know that feeling of not wanting to stop all so well. Glad to hear today is going better for you. I'm sure you'll whittle down that deficit with no problem. Just remember that it takes 3500 calories to make a pound, so a few extra points aren't going to have a lot of impact. Writing that just now made me think of Angie - have you heard from her at all?

I'm going to have a boat-load of points to use tonight as I've only had 10 for the day, am chained to my desk, and have given up snacking on the train for Lent. So I'm looking forward to a great salami sandwhich on sourdough bread for dinner. Yum.

Have a good evening.

Carla
Closed Thread