Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/152/125

Height: 5'2"

Question Points for Hot Yoga

I have been doing Hot Yoga almost every day for the past 2 weeks and started this past Monday doing WW online. Does anyone know how to calculate the amount of points for a 90 day session of hot yoga? For a person my size, according to "my-calorie-counter" I burn about 1047 calories during one session.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI Chicken: I LOVE hot yoga. I assume you are talking a 90 minute session?
I find it to be intense exercise once I am warmed up. (so 1st 10 min as moderate and the other 80 minutes as intense?)
enjoy
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #3  
Green Tara

S/C/G: 196/175/130

Height: 5'1

Default Great to meet other hot yoga lovers!

Hi!

I've been doing Bikram off and on for a few years, and now went back, and actually at home. I have one extra bedroom and bought two radiant heaters and a humidifier, I can get the room to at least 95-98, have sweat dripping off, (not as much as in a studio) and am warm enough to do the back bends (more carefully and slowly but I get there). Have been doing it for the past 6 day religiously and was hoping to do the 60 day challenge.

How many days do you do a week? Do you think it's wise to take a day off or that I should try the 60 days?

I have to say though, I only lost .8lbs this week and was VERY frustrated about it, while eating perfectly (doing weight watcher) so counting all points.

Would really appreciate your input.

Thank you!
Claudia
calmeida5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #4  
Madeleine

I go to moksha, I have been told its not as fast and less intense that bikram, and its plenty for me! Don't know if its affecting weight loss or not, but the sweat and replenishment is detoxifying. I find it quite aerobic, my heart rate really goes up once I am warmed up. I have never done more than 3 days a week myself. I don't do well exercising on my own, and don't live in a town, so getting to the studio isn't easy for me. I do some yoga postures at home, but not the moksha series or flow series. (love the flow series the best).
I do it for all the other benefits, not to kick start weight loss or anything.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #5  
Green Tara

S/C/G: 196/175/130

Height: 5'1

Hi! I'm at my 8th straight day - am now aiming for a 30 day challenge then thinking of going another 30.

Anyone want to motivate with me? : )

Also doing weight watchers, so hopefully weight watchers will catch up.

Had major surgery on my left foot in August and was in a wheel chair for 2 months. Knew the only thing that would "cure" was Bikram, so finally able to start. My balance on the left was impossible and now I can hold most of the standing poses falling just a little while and my quads are getting stronger and my knees not hurting as much. All with just a straight week!

Physical therapy was expensive, am on disability for a while because I'm an ER nurse in a trauma center and obviously can't do my job right now, 13-14 hours running like crazy, we see over 260 patients at day! Doc said I can end up with a stress fracture if I go back too soon.

What is moksha? Never heard of it.

take care,
Claudia
calmeida5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #6  
Madeleine

well, as far as I know, the people who founded bikram had a falling out and moksha is the result, Its very popular in Canada, especially Ontario, don't know about other places. Its also hot, but maybe not as hot as a bikram room, and (as I am told, don't know first hand) is a bit slower, and not as rigid about the poses. (so there is also flow series based on the basic postures, and sometimes hot vinyasa and yang/yin)
There are probably more differences that may not matter so much to us.
I like the hot for other reasons, and coming from an Iyengar basis, it suits me well.
I am much more flexible than I used to be, and doing it regularly can only be good for you, enjoy!