Weekend Woes

• So I didn't track at all this weekend and managed to gain 2 pounds. I think I am going to start weighing on Tuesday rather than Monday morning. Also I really like Indian food and anything on the grill. How do you deal with tracking on the weekends when you tend to eat on a whim (hmmmm steak sounds good!) ?
  • I know what you mean about weekend eating being done on a whim! I never know food wise what's going to happen those days. I do track over weekends just so I'm not surprised on Monday. And I think that would probably help the most so you really know how much you are eating. I have a nutrition app on my phone that I use so I can look up calories where ever I end up eating (and sometimes I just have to approximate, but at least it gives me some idea of where I am).

I also try to be extra good at the meals I can control (a really healthy breakfast for example) to minimize the net damage some weekend eating can do.
  • I weigh in on Thursdays. I feel like it gives me the most stability. Weekends can be really tough sometimes. I just make sure that I take my Food Points book and my journal EVERYWHERE I go, and update my WW spreadsheet on Google Docs every night, if not multiple times a day. (really, it's the only way I manage to keep on track is to have it super organized)
  • I find weighing in on Friday works the best for me. For the exact opposite reason that a lot of people make their WI on Monday. I want to be able to splurge, or not watch every bite that goes into my mouth on the weekend (I still track it). I want to be able to eat a boatload of salt if that is my whim. I don't drink as much water on the weekend, as I do during the week at work. So for me, Friday works best.

As far as tracking on the weekend goes, it's the same as any other day of the week. I am in the habit of tracking after meals anyway...I don't plan. Even when I wasn't on WW, I didn't plan my meals ahead of time, so that is normal for me. Tracking after the fact keeps my portion size down, because I mentally make sure that I am not going to go over the points I have left for the day.

Take a look at your ingrained habits...work with them. If you try to make too many changes to your daily habits and routines, you might have difficulties sticking to it.
  • When I used to use a notebook and pen to track, I kept it with me in my purse & pocket no matter where I went. It followed me around the house, and every place I traveled like my life depended on it.

Now, I track online so I keep my phone with me and use the application no matter where I go.

Tracking isn't an option. I -forced- it into a habit to track what I was about to eat before I even took a bite.
  • Quote: I weigh in on Thursdays. I feel like it gives me the most stability. Weekends can be really tough sometimes. I just make sure that I take my Food Points book and my journal EVERYWHERE I go, and update my WW spreadsheet on Google Docs every night, if not multiple times a day. (really, it's the only way I manage to keep on track is to have it super organized)
    I also weigh in on Thursdays. And on weekends, I always have a notebook in my bag so I can jot down what I eat "on a whim" and enter it into the online tracker at the end of the day. But honeslty, after 2 months + on WW, I have kind of fallen into a pattern for breakfast and lunch that I tend to follow even on weekends, so I more or less know how "bad" I can be at dinner and still be within my points range.
  • I also weigh in on Fridays. My best behavior is on weekdays, and the scale almost always reflects that. On weekends, I do splurge, but I also keep track of my splurges so that I know I don't go over my weekly points (which, in my opinion, gives a surprising amount of leeway, anyway). I just plan my meals before I eat them. My partner and I usually go out to dinner on Saturday nights, and I always enter my meal into my tracker before I go. Even if the meal costs me over 30 points, I'm keeping myself accountable.