3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   WW At Home (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-home-22/)
-   -   Dropping from 22 to 20 points per day (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-home/207659-dropping-22-20-points-per-day.html)

dixiecool 07-20-2010 11:19 AM

Dropping from 22 to 20 points per day

Good morning everyone,

I've been doing WW on my own at home since April 7th and have lost 20 lbs. in 15 weeks. I've reached the half-way point. Yay me!

I started at 179 lbs. so I am allowed 22 points per day (plus my 35 WAPs). I'm just under 160 lbs. now and as I'm approaching 150 lbs., I know that WW says I should drop to 20 points per day.

I did the At Work Program 6 years ago and once I got to 20 points per day, that's where they lost me. I was hungry all the time so I would overeat (a lot and often!) and the scale didn't move for weeks. My leader said I would not keep on losing weight if I stayed at 22.

So here's my question/issue:

If WW says I won't lose weight eating 22 points at 150 lbs. and that I should drop down to 20 points, am I to understand that once I reach my goal weight (140 lbs.) my maintenance points will be 22 + 35 weekly allowance points??? Seems to me that I'll be starving for the rest of my life!

Right now I eat 22 points per day plus all of my 35 WAPs and I'm losing on average 1.3 lbs. per week and I'm totally ok with the rate at which I'm losing. If it slows down to under 1 lb. loss per week when I'm under 150 lbs., I'm ok with that too. This is a journey not a race.

The other issue is, when I hit my goal weight, WW traditionally ups your points by 4 per day for a week and then adjusts your daily points up and down for 6 weeks until you find a place where you no longer lose or gain. I'm not sure if they've changed their method of determining maintenance points, but that's how it was 6 years ago. If this is still true, how can I not lose at 22 points per day once I'm at 150 lbs.?

Any advice or comments?

Thanks!

Bloomer 07-20-2010 08:03 PM

I don't know what the current maintenance regimen is, and I hope someone who does sees this and answers you. I feel silly giving advice to someone who has done so well on this program (I'm a multiple-try failure :) ) but I have a few ideas.

First, try it at 20. Just because it didn't work last time doesn't mean it won't this time.

Second, scour your journal to see if there's a relatively easy fix -- a sugar free version of something, or a thin sliced bread rather than regular sized bread, so that a 2-point item will magincally turn into a 1-point item. Then look to see if there is ANYTHING you can cut.

Then look at adding exercise. One of my doctors said that I would need to walk 45 minutes a day at a brisk pace to lose weight. (I haven't tried that yet. I'm totally out of shape as well as being huge.)

If none of that works, then stick to the 22 points. As you said, if you lose at about a pound a week, that's terrific. If it goes down to half a pound a week, with the small amount you have left to lose, I'd say that would be terrific too.

Good luck, and please post your experiments. We can all learn from them.

Shytowngal 07-20-2010 08:15 PM

You could try to continue to lose at 22 and see what happens. If not you can lower to 20 and then earn 4 extra points a day by exercising. Also add additional veggies to every meal and/or snacks to help keep you full.

dixiecool 07-21-2010 09:47 AM

Thanks for your input. At the rate I'm losing right now, I won't be at 20 points for another 6 to 8 weeks, but once I get there I will definitely try to stay at 22 for a couple of weeks to see how that goes. My eating habits are rather good - I aim to get in my Healthy 8s every day and pretty much get them all in. My 35 WAPs go towards the odd lunch, dinner out or family dinner, an occasional glass of wine (maybe 3-4 times a week) and a dessert every night (max. 2 points). These are the treats that keep me happy and not feel as though I'm "suffering" LOL

I'll keep you posted in the weeks to come.

Lastly, I admit I'm all exercised out! But a short walk could be something I could bring back into my daily routine. I'm sure it would compensate for the 2 points.

Thanks!