I really need some help/advice

• So, this is the beginning of my fifth week on WW. I've lost a total of 5 lbs. I stick to my points religiously, exercise (walk with my kids in a stroller) a few times a week and it seems that when I hit my low of 228 - it starts going back up again. I weighed on Wednesday and it was 228.0, I thought for sure that within the next few days, I would break through that 5 lb. plateau and reach into the 227's - not the case. Thursday, 228.0. Friday 228.2. I know I shouldn't be weighing every day, but this is driving me crazy.

I've cut out all eating before bed, drink loads of water during the day, try to avoid junk food and stick with whole, healthy foods. lots of fruits and veggies. I also weigh and measure my portions to make sure that I'm not overloading in that department.

I finally told my uber healthy husband about it. He said it baffled him too.

I'm wondering if maybe I should make an appointment with my doctor to see if there are other factors at work?

Please help. I'm going nuts over this,.
  • Nobody has any advice? Surely someone else has gone through this...
  • Hello. I went through the same thing-I'd work out, eat right, drink lots of water and ...nothing. I went to my doctor and found that my thyroid was acting up (runs in my family) and also I had switched to natural sea salt instead of regular table salt....which I found out sea salt doesn't have the necessary iodine in it (like table salt) that helps our thyroid function.

I understand how frustrating it is to work so hard and get such little results. A simple blood test can determine if your Thyroid levels are off or not.

Good luck to you and let us know what you find out!
    Tracy
  • Do you eat any of your weekly points? If not you might need to eat some to kick your body back into losing.

You might need to get more exercise. Walking with the stroller a few times a week may not be enough. If you are home with small ones and do not have access to a gym try some workout videos. They can be done while kids nap, after they go to bed or even before they get up. When my son was little I was a big fan of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos.

Lastly, if you go to WW meetings talk to your counselor about your plateau. If not use the boards here and at WW. Maybe post your menu on an average day.
  • Sorry to hear you're going this this, zeffryn. It does seem like something might be wrong to me because 5 weeks seems a bit soon for a plateau. I would talk to my doctor if I were you.

Also, a suggestion I have would be to make sure you're eating your activites points and your weekly flex points (or whatever they're called now, I can't remember) and not just your daily points. I know for me, when I went through this a few years ago, I had to make sure I was eating most of my activity and flex points or I wouldn't lose any or very little. What worked best for me was to do the Wendie Plan, which, if you don't know, is where you vary the number of points you eat each day per week. When I started doing that is when I lost the most.

Hope this helps you some.
  • I will start eating my flex points. It seems like a lot. I currently have 29 points a day and I'm entirely satisfied with that. It seems like if I eat more than that, I'm just junk fooding it!

Unfortunately, my doctor cannot see me for 1.5 months! I will try eating my flex points in the mean time and stepping up my exercise until then. We have a wii fit and I do use it once in awhile, but I will get to using it more. When I walk with my kids, we walk for 2-3 miles - pushing almost 100 lbs!

This is frustrating, but I'm optimistic and refuse to quit.
  • My menu yesterday:

B: 1 egg, 1 slice whole wheat toast (1 point bread), steamed spinach, coffee
    L: egg salad (3 pts.) on a bed of spinach, 3 strawberries, 1 c. grapes
    S: 1 cup fat free greek yogurt, 1 T. honey, 1/4 cup blueberries, 2 strawberries, 1 T. slivered almonds
    D: chicken cacciatore (my portion included 1/2 bell pepper, 1/4 onion, 1 boneless/skinless chicken thigh, 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes), 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup brussels sprouts, 1/2 cup pea pods; 1 cup skim milk
    S: 1 slice (1/8 of the total cheesecake) Gina's no bake WW cheescake - 5 pts.

and a LOT of water. Around 100 oz. or so.
  • I wanted to update this. I took your advice and used up my weekly points over the weekend. I had a few beers with my husband and an indulgent dinner on Saturday night. On Sunday, the scale was up but I assumed that was water weight and kept on. I drank a lot of water to flush it all out. Monday, the scale was at 228.8 - same as last week, this morning 227.0. I finally beat that 5 lbs! I almost cried. I am going to use the advice of changing up the amount of points each day to keep my body guessing. I'm coming in low today.

Thanks for the advice and support.