Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 11:49 PM   #31  

Karen C - Congratulations on the loss. Hope your friend has a quick recovery from the surgery. Enjoy those puppies.

Judy - Sounds like you did fine considering its PMS time. Hope you are able to fight off whatever is trying to get you down. I've been fighting off a cold for the last week...doesn't get real bad, but don't feel great either. Yeah, the boss is only 45 and has prostrate cancer for the second time. He was only 38 the last time and at first his doctor told him the PSA test must have been wrong because he was much too young.

Tracy - Great job not letting that breakfast bagel throw you off for the whole day. I know it would have been easy to figure your day was blown and you could wait until tomorrow to start. Now that your mom knows you are back on WW you know you can count on her help.

Karen B - I'm lucky no one in our office brings in goodies. We always have some Snackwell cookies and hard candy, but nothing special for the holidays. Enjoy your time off next month. I'd love to take some time off and have some vacation time coming, but if I don't take it I'll get paid for it at the end of the year. With my main boss talking retirement I'd rather have the cash right now.

Michele - Hey, getting classes for free is a great benefit. Now you know you can't skip it and don't have to pay to go. Way to go banking points for this weekend.

Carla - Hope you enjoyed your dinner out. The wet weather held out until today, but it was a cold, rainy afternoon.

I weighed in this morning down .5 lb from my weight when I got the scale this weekend. I had a good day foodwise, but no exercise again except for walking around the mall tonight. I should have taken the time for a fast walk around the mall, but it didn't even cross my mind until now.

Talk to you later.
Pat
(178/156.5/135)
Old 11-29-2001, 09:00 AM   #32  

Tracy - No apologies necessary for writing a "meaty" post - the more the better I say! Sorry to hear about the breakfast bagels but it's good to hear that your mom will be helpful going forward. I'm in a similar state for today - hardly any points left but it's all on me. LOL about the "pooge" - I think mine will be with me no matter how much I lose.

Karen B - thanks for the info on the treadmill. I've been tempted to get one for the longest time. Of course, Tony and I have been talking about keeping expenses down (who knows what's going to happen to my job + he may retire next year) but I spend money each month on a gym membership that I rarely use and most of the time I have, it was for their treadmills!

Michele - Don't stress about the exercise - it's OK to miss a day or so = it's even good for you to have a rest day or two a week. I hope your sneak peek shows up on Monday. I love the WOW tortilla chips but I haven't been able to find them for months. I look in every supermarket I go to and no luck. I did OK yesterday - I had 1/2 a spaghetti squash with a little bit of sauce - very low point and yummy. Oh yes, I'm into egg whites for sure. Tony calls me Queen of the Egg White Omelet!

Carla - Sorry to hear about the gain - I'm sure the soy sauce has a lot to do with it. You seem to have a good attitude about it. I know what you mean about the "why do I eat this the night before a weigh in?" I've done that a number of times. LOL about precious gems - thanks for the laugh. BTW, Tony and I got the huge bag of stir-fry veggies at Costco - we used them last night in one of our pasta, sauce, veggies and turkey (what else?) meals last night. They were great - better than the no-name brands at the supermarket.

Pat - that is just awful about your boss's doctor! Congrats on the 1/2 pound down. Walking around the mall can still count even though it might not earn a lot of activity points. Glad you had a good food day - that's my goal for today!

I didn't have a great day yesterday - actually last night was a problem. I am neck deep in PMS and I was feeling very weepy - I'm still having a hard time dealing with the events of the 11th and I times I just lose it. Anyway, what did I pick up to eat? The last chocolate turkey that I should have thrown out Friday but didn't - of course, up until last night I had no desire to eat it. Totally emotional eating. I felt sort of sick afterwards and thankfully stopped there but it left me with 2.5 points for breakfast and lunch today (at least with what I guess were the points). I just had a two point breakfast and it looks like salad and veggies for lunch! Oh well, I will have a 1/2 point lunch and hope to get on the bike today.

Judy
Old 11-29-2001, 10:07 AM   #33  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Everyone!

Carla - not often I indulge in decadence and virtue all in one day, so I had to bask in the glory of it! How was your dinner? You can have a pretty fabulous meal for 22 points. I lightened up an old favorite recipe for greek spinach pie (sans crust) last night and made a greek salad to go with it. Not very exciting, but point friendly.

Judy - sorry you're up to your eyeballs in PMS. Isn't it amazing how hormones can send us spiralling into despair? And the wounds of the 11th won't heal completely any time soon, and nor should they. You're doing a great job of "keep on keeping on". Can't say I've ever had a chocolate turkey, but I'll bet they're delicious. Unfortunately we don't turn to carrot sticks when we're feeling down.

Pat - Good job on the 1/2 lb loss. Hope your cold is soon better.

Tracy - too right about how to spend those points...I'd give them up to a lobster dinner in a second. Hope you day goes better today without those unplanned points arriving!

Michele - NEVER, EVER question an unanticipated loss!!!! Accept it as a fabulous gift, and keep on doing those good things that contributed to it! What's with everyone PMS'ing together, anyway?

Have a great day!

Karen B
Old 11-29-2001, 12:14 PM   #34  

Hi Ladies, I hope you don't mind but I am going to be a little selfish this post.........

My son has not heard from his dad in approx. 2 years. No calls, no visits nothing. It is really hard sometimes when he gets upset about it. I feel so bad for him and get soooo ANGRY at his dad. I try to never make negative comments and just tell him that his dad just maybe does not know how to be a dad right now.

Well, last night he gets a birthday card from him. I intercepted it and opened it (I know it was not right). It was just a card signed "Love, Dad" with a $100 gift cert. to a toystore. I have not given it to him yet (I know this is not right either). My dilema is I know when I give it to him he is going to get upset and I can't stand the thought of seeing him so hurt and confused. I was thinking of waiting until after his party and actual bday and then giving to him. I posted this thought at another site and got mixed feedback. I would love to never give to him and send back with a nasty note, but I could not do that to Bobby. I have decided to give him the card this afternoon and hoping for the best. One of the suggestions I got was seeing if Bobby wanted to use the $$ and buy toys for the needy. I liked this one, at our Jazzercise they have a giving tree and I was thinking of taking Bobby to class tonight and having him pick out a name and then taking him shopping for that child. I would not ask him to use it all but $100 is a lot plus all the other gifts he will be getting nevermind the other $$. He got over $400 last year plus gifts. Off subject sorry!

What do you think is right by Bobby. This is not my feelings that matter and I just cant stand to see his heart keep breaking. Should I wait until after the party? Give today? Does the shopping for someone less fortunate sound like I am trying to give his dads present away? HELP! Very confused!

Thanks
Old 11-29-2001, 12:38 PM   #35  
Canadian, eh?

Michele - Ouch, that's a tough one. I think maybe you've answered your own question though. Twice you mentioned "I know that's not right". You don't want to see Bobby hurt and confused, but being hurt and confused is part of life. I can't know what's right, as I don't know all the circumstances, but sounds like his dad is attempting to reach out, even if not in the most appropriate way. Kids are resilient, if you give it to him now, he still has his party to look forward to to take the worst of the sting away. He may well want to give some of the $ to the less fortunate. I think you need to be there with many hugs and kisses. Hope my thoughts help a bit. Karen B
Old 11-29-2001, 01:20 PM   #36  

Karen B - yes, PMS can certainly magnify other feelings beyond reason! You know, I once heard someone say that when a group of women work together (or are together like we are in one group) they tend to start getting their cycles in sync. It sounds sort of ridiculous but over the years, the funny thing is that it seems to be true!

Michele - Karen's right when she says that's a tough one. I have to agree with what Karen wrote. I know that you don't want to hurt Bobby but I think he might also feel hurt if he feels you kept it from him, even if for a little while. I agree that his father is trying to reach out even if it's in an inappropriate way. I think the idea of seeing if he wants to use some of the money for toys for the needy is a good one but I'd leave that up to him. Your constant/dependable/steady love will help him get through this.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:23 PM   #37  

On the lighter side, I decided to get on the bike and earn a point or two even if it's boring. I did 30 minutes which enabled me to have a decent 2.5 point lunch (I used some previously banked activity points). My goal for tonight is to use no more than 14 or 15 points (dinner + snacks).
Old 11-29-2001, 01:50 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.

It's another gloomy, grey day in Chicago. Guess winter is indeed here.

Pat - Congrats on the .5 down. Walking around the mall has to count for some exercise. Might not have got your heart rate up, but it surely burned calories. So is your other boss definitely, positively going to retire?

Judy - That chocoloate turkey was probably the evil spawn of the evil PMS monster. Sorry he got to you, but hey, you really kept yourself from doing great damage. Great job. Glad to hear that you liked the stir-fry veggies. I was thinking about cooking up the other half of my bag tonight.

Karen B - Dinner was great. I'm not sure how many points it was, but I'm sure I didn't cause too much damage, especially since my entree was gnocchi, which are actually low-point (4/cup).
A couple of glasses of chianit made it a relaxing evening indeed.

Michele - First of all, don't apologize for being selfish. You weren't. And the beauty of this group is that we're here for each for not only weight-related issues, but life issues. And actually, they're usually inter-related. That said, I agree with Karen and Judy. It's a hard issue. And while a card simply signed Love, Dad doesn't make up for two years of neglect, at least he'll know his father was thinking of him and that might bring him some comfort. If they are ever to have any kind of relationship, small steps like these will build it. Perhaps you can lead him to using part of the gift for toys for the needy in a way that makes him think its his idea. Or you might suggest that since he'll be able to get some great stuff with the money from his dad on top of the other great presents he'll be getting, he might want to donate some of his current toys that he doesn't play with that much. I thnk one of the hardest things we face as parents is knowing we can't shield our child from hurt and disappointment in life.

My good news is that I got on the scale again this morning and those three pounds were gone, gone, gone. So they must have all been water. So now I can look forward to losing those six pounds without having to make up lost ground.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
266/262/140
Old 11-29-2001, 02:18 PM   #39  

Michele - I just want to echo what Carla said - that in no way, shape or form were you being selfish. The great thing about this group is that we're here for each for all kinds of things.

Karen - thanks for you kind words - I am trying to keep on keeping on, like so many people. I know that time will help.

Carla - Wahoooooooo for those pesky water pounds getting out of town! Yes, the chocoloate turkey was the evil spawn of the evil PMS monster. PMS is bad this month - I'm on the verge of bawling about every half hour - LOL!

Judy
Old 11-29-2001, 02:28 PM   #40  
Canadian, eh?

YAY CARLA!!! 3 lbs gone from your life!!! Gnocchi is sooo good, isn't it? Mike being Italian introduced me. I'd like to learn to make it. I have a recipe, but am lacking the get up and go (it got up and went!)

Judy, at least you're only feeling like bawling! I usually feel like bawling 50% of the time, and like killing someone the other 50% (victim varies month to month LOL)

Karen B
Old 11-29-2001, 02:40 PM   #41  

Hi everyone,

Judy, feel better <<<<HUGS>>>>.

Carla and Pat, congrats on the loss!

Michele, can you somehow turn this into a winning situation for your son? Maybe you can arrange with his dad to call him tonight. It would be so much better all around if he would come back into Bobby's life.

Karen, I know how you feel! LOL! My husband is at the top of my "Terminate Today" list!

Puppies and mother are all settled in. They aren't old enough to do anything yet, but soon will be running all over the place. Meanwhile, I'm comforting myself with the smell of puppy breath. The kids (baby goats) are growing quickly. It's fun watching their antics. We should have some more one of these days real soon.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:57 PM   #42  

Thanks for your support. I guess I should clarify situation better. I left his dad almost 6 years ago. I got married young (20) and he was almost 30. I grew up and he was getting younger. He is an alcoholic to say the least, he was abusive and did not hide it from Bobby. He saw Bobby for the first couple of years, I think just to aggrivate me. Saw him only when convenient to him, blew him off numerous times with no call or explanation. He has a small studio apartment and they would have to sleep in same bed and sometimes he would have his girlfriend there too. Nevermind he would smoke in bed even after the Dr. told him that Bobbys asthma was being effected. He just did not care.

I have no idea where the man lives, I have no phone number or even where he works anymore. He has not contacted anyone in his family (mother, father, brother or sister) for at least 2-3 years depending on which one.

I can't have Bobby contact him even if Bobby wants to. The whole thing stinks! I just thank God everyday that we now have Steve. He is the best thing that happened to both of us.

I am glad it sounds like everyone is doing good. Thanks again for all the advise and support!
Old 11-29-2001, 03:34 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Judy - I think PMS around the holidays is always worse for me. Probably the stress of the season, etc. Hang in there kiddo - you know your days will seem sunnier in a few days.

Karen - I'm with you. I alternate between weepiness and the urge to kick a$$.

Karen B - Yep, gnocchi is delicious. It seems to be on more menus lately. I don't recall seeing it so much in the past, even in Italian restaurants. It's probably becoming trendy like risotto and grappa did a few years ago. Makes me laugh because, being Italian, I've been eating this stuff for as long as I've been able to eat solids. (Not the grappa, of course.) My nonna (grandmother) and great-aunt used to make them homemade. Seems like a lot of work to me. But oh so good.

Karen C - Have fun with the puppies.

Michele - Sounds like Bobby is better off without his father in his life, at least for now. Maybe some day his father will sober up and realize what he threw away. Thank God Bobby has a great male influence in his life (and a terrific mom, too). Good luck with the party tomorrow.

Carla
Old 11-30-2001, 12:05 AM   #44  

Judy - Sorry to hear the emotional eatting got to you yesterday. That PMS can make everything seem worse. Good job getting on that bike.

Karen B - Hope you had a great day.

Michele - (((HUGS))) I'm glad to hear Bobby has a good influence in his life now. I know it can't be an easy decision for you, but having you and Steve there for him will help.

Carla - Yahoo...those three pounds must have been water. No, my boss still hasn't decided what to do about retiring. He talks about it some, but is also still taking new cases. I've decided to try not letting it worry me until I have a definite date. Its already been five months since he first mentioned it and all he has done so far is talk.

Karen C - Sounds like the babies are keeping you busy.

I did too much snacking today. I did stay away from the junk, but still went over points. I didn't get a good night sleep (Sara's dog wouldn't settle down) and have had a headache most of the day. The weather hasn't helped either...cold and rainy all day. Off to bed early tonight.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Closed Thread