Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 01:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Weigh In at Home 11/12-11/8

Hi all.

Can't believe it's so late in the day and no one has started the thread yet! I hope you are all doing weel and had a good weekend.

My weekend was ok, but again journaling and the counting of points went by the wayside. I definitely am going to have to work on my weekends. I am, though, looking forward to a great OP day today. So far so good.

Of course, these weight loss woes seem trivial compared to the tragdy of the plane going down in NY. Its so soon to have another tragedy hit this nation, regardless if terrorism is or isn't the cause.

Have a good day today and hug your loved ones extra hard. And cyber {{{hugs}}} to you all.

Carla
Old 11-12-2001, 06:37 PM   #2  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Carla,

We are here, seems like the website was down a good part of the day.

Healing thoughts to Judy and others in NY and their families, wherever they may be.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:49 PM   #3  

Carla - I'll have to work on my weekends with you. Glad you are having an OP day.

Jennifa - Hope you're having a great day.

I've decided to change weigh in day to Wednesday. Since Darrell is working every Friday and Saturday night we have been going out on Sundays. I always seem to have the highest weight on Monday morning and am getting frustrated by it. This week I'm waiting until Wednesday to give myself time to lose the temporary weekend gain. Hope this helps with my attitude. I had a good day foodwise. Darrell even fixed some chicken breasts on the grill for dinner. No exercise today, but I will get out in the morning.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 11-13-2001, 08:23 AM   #4  

Good Morning! I hope all is well with everyone!

My weekend was ok OP wise. I went over on Friday night, but banked them on Sat. and Sunday. I weighed in yest. at 176 for a 1 pound loss. Slow but steady. I have 59 days (8 weigh ins) until the Cruise if I can keep up a 1-2 pound loss I will almost (or maybe) make my goal of 160 by cruise.

Pat-my weigh ins are Mondays too, it can be hard since usually I see the next week loss by Wed. Maybe I should switch too, but I can't make any other meetings. Rest are all at night or Sat. morning. Monday at lunch seems to be my only time, plus helps to keep me on track (somewhat) for the weekends. Good luck on Wed.

Carla-it can be hard to keep track on the weekends. I just keep a little notebook in pocketbook and total up on Monday am. I find if I break up all my goodies the day I go shopping it is much easier. I weigh everything up and seperate them. I also always have a batch of tortilla soup in the fridge for hunger attacks. What I am finding the hardest it all the sporting events I have to go to. Between soccer and basketball on Saturdays I am a running fool for the afternoon. My little treat to myself and to help me fill up instead of the hot dogs and popcorn/nachos is a coffee with real cream. Large coffee with half & half and equal seems to satisfy me and only 1 point.

Jennifa-I hope you had a great day too. My thoughts and prayers are also with the families in NY and all that lost loved ones yest.

Karen-looking forward to hearing how your trip was.

Judy-I hope everything is ok with you and yours.

Rereading my post sounds like I am preaching, these things work for me, but I don't always stick to them. Otherwise I would not be here.

Work wise, I have told my boss that I am losing it and he talked to her. I no longer have to babysit and I hope things will settle down here. If not I have decided to start looking after the new year. Hopefully things work out. I am afraid I have lost a "friend" but will at least keep my sanity.

Have a great day
Old 11-13-2001, 08:54 AM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Morning all!

Can't stay long as have to leave for work in 4 minutes. It's before 6 a.m. way out here.

So saddened by another NY tragedy.

Will post again late tonight when I get home. Hope everyone has a point-friendly waterlogged day.

Karen
Old 11-13-2001, 09:14 AM   #6  

Hi Everyone! I made it back and sneak peak looks promising. More on that later.

Karen - nice to meet another Karen. I'm a dog person too. I have two miniature poodles and two standard poodles, all retired show dogs. In fact I'm running a retirement home for show poodles! We also have goats, and there are two new babies out there this morning!
Michele, you are doing great! That one pound loss is fine. You're like me it seems, big loss one week balanced by a small loss the next. Hey, it's all in the right direction!

Carla, I'm with you, I love Wed. weigh-ins

Pat, glad you have identified th eproblem and have a plan.

Okay, Las Vegas was fabulous! I'll have to go back sooner than 36 years! My sister Pam is on a diet very similar to WW, and that was a great help to me! Gotta run, I'll check back later

Karen C
Old 11-13-2001, 10:31 AM   #7  

Carla - Sorry to hear about the troubles on the weekend. Maybe we can pin down the cause(s) of the problems. At what point do things go by the wayside?

Jennifa - hope things are going well.

Pat - Sounds like a good idea to switch your weigh in day - if it helps you stay motivated, I say go for it.

Michelle - way to go on getting rid of that pound. Sounds like you are on your way to make your goal. I'm glad you spoke with your boss and that things will settle down.

Karen B - Looking forward to your post.

Karen C - Glad to hear that Vegas was a blast and way to go on that sneak peek.

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday - we had off and I was doing all kinds of errands for Thanksgiving and between that and the plane crash I just didn't get downstairs to log on. I went to my meeting on Saturday but didn't weigh in. My sneak peek was horrible (it was still TOM) and I just didn't want to see the number written down because I think it would have meant that I would have less than 5 pounds total loss. I was really frustrated and ready to throw in the towel. It seemed as if no matter what I did, I wasn't seeing the weight come off. I mentioned it to one of my friends and she was so encouraging - actually she was so encouraging that I started getting all emotional. When I went to give in my ticket (my pre-paid meeting ticket ) even though I wasn't stepping on the scale I sort of lost it with the woman who does the weighing in and she called in my leader. We went into a supply room to talk (I was a blubbering fool by then) and we had a good talk. She reminded me that with all the medication I've been on (steroids, anti-inflammatories) it would be natural for me not to see good results on the scale but that I was doing good things for myself (eating healthy). We also talked in a little more detail of what I'd been spending my points on. All seemed in line, even the 4 points or so a day I spend on high sugar foods. The one thing she suggested was that I get the two milks in - with food that has calcium of 25% or more - not with supplements. She said she can count about a dozen members who saw good results after being more diligent about getting in the "milks". She also said to make sure I get some fat in (healthy fat like peanut butter). She also basically gave me a good pep talk. I felt a ton better afterwards and even bought my next (pre-paid) 10 meetings (after which my friends gave me high fives). So, I've been diligent about getting in my calcium - "getting over" the fact that I don't like to drink points (I've been using the 1 point Swiss Miss a bunch) and just in journaling and staying within my points range. I even measured the Chinese take-out we had on Saturday (and Tony was great about ordering only those things that "fit" my points needs). My sneak peeks have been good. I hope they continue with the change in anti-inflammatories. I just got back from the orthopedist. Good news is that my shoulder and ankle are both tendonitis. I'm stuck with the stationary bike as exercise for about a month (blech) and will be starting P.T. again after Thanksgiving. I'm glad that there's no shoulder surgery in my future and that the ankle is not a stress fracture.

I'm off to catch up on last week's posts. Have a great Think Thin Tuesday,
Judy
163.5/158(last week)/135
Old 11-13-2001, 11:11 AM   #8  

Karen B - OK, so is Mike the chef (and now husband) the long-distance great guy that Carla and I remember? Gillis - yes! Glad to hear that he has a sister who sounds like a cutie. Wow - with three cats that makes quite a menagerie! Glad to hear about your house. Ours wasn't a real fixer-upper when we got it but since we bought it, we've managed to replace the roof, all the windows and got the outside painted a month or so ago. Thank you for your prayers. Thankfully, my family and friends are all well (my sister left a job at the WTC 4 months beforehand). Of course, when you go past that, to friends of friends or colleagues of colleagues there are many losses. I still work downtown (I have for 18 years but my company was bought by Chase and I'll be moving to midtown at the end of January.) and every day I'm in the office is a reminder. The air quality last Friday was horrible - as bad as it was 2 weeks after the 11th when we got back into our building. I still find myself dissolving into tears at times - I suppose it's like that for all of us. I know that I am very aware of how thankful I am and will be next week at Thanksgiving. As for meetings, I find that it does help keep me a bit more honest than when it's just me and the scale. My meeting is standing room only and chocked full of great people and a great leader. I've gotten a lot of good tips/tricks there that I've been remiss about sharing here (New Year's resolution: share more tips here).

Last edited by JudySP; 11-13-2001 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:52 PM   #9  
cookies are for browsers

Hello all,

Judy, I am glad you and yours are ok. You know what? I haven't weighed myself in over a month and I DON'T CARE what the number is. My clothes are looser, I feel better about myself, and I know I am doing this for the right reasons. Keep in mind that you can go to the store and weigh yourself on all the scales there and get about a 30-40 pound difference. Scales LIE, they are from the and you should never use them for any kind of self-measurement. It sounds like your leader has the same ideas but hey - I'm not getting paid to tell you that scales are evil!!!!

Last night I did binge on potato chips (which I never do, usually it's crackers) and I woke up feeling so sick. So today I am thinking I should just eat fruits veggies cheese bread and nuts. Period. Ever. Wish me luck.

Somehow when I eat nuts I lose weight. It's confusing, they are really high in points, but there's something about them that really help kick the weight loss in the rear.

Sorry I haven't been replying to everyone, it's just been crazybusy. The poodles sound like a lot of fun. Where can I find a chef husband? I hate to cook but I can certainly bring home the bacon!

(even though I wouldn't eat it.)

Old 11-13-2001, 01:03 PM   #10  

Judy - ((((HUGS)))) I'm glad you have such a great support group. It's been an emotional roller coaster for you! And the drugs are just adding insult to injury. Hang in there, and yes, please do share all those tips.

Jennifa - You are so right about the evil scale! Loved your little devil. Now here are some words of advice from a very knowlegeable person (you know who you are) Shop along the edges of the grocery store!
Old 11-13-2001, 02:21 PM   #11  

Hi to everyone.

It's good to "see" all of you; I was feeling lonely yesterday.

Jennifa - It was probably all that greasy fat in the potato chips that made you feel sick. Happens to me too. Hey, if nuts do it for you, go with it! They're good for you and they taste great. If they help with your weight loss as well, then its a perfect situation, in my book. (Can you tell I really love nuts?)

Pat - Welcome to Wednesday weigh-ins. I really like doing my weigh-ins on Wednesday. I find sometimes that, even when I'm OP, I have a hard time getting in all my water over the weekend and then I'm retaining and seeing that false gain on Monday. Much easier on the mind, for me, to get past that and weigh in on Wednesday.

Michele - Glad to hear that you had that talk with your boss and resolved, hopefully, some of the issues. I too often like to indulge with a great cup of coffee on the weekend for a treat. The bakery where we get it puts whipping cream in it. Pricey, point-wise, but yummy. My main problem on weekends isn't so much the snacks, although they play into it, but bad breakfasts or lunches (read take-out food).

Karen B - Hope you're having a good day.

Karen C - Glad to hear that you enjoyed Vegas and that having your sister watch what she eats helped you out. Tell us more when you get the chance.

Judy - I'm so glad that your leader was able to lift your spirits and help you get re-motivated. All the medication you've been on, and your inability to get in the exercise like you like, have been playing havoc on you, that's for sure. But it sounds like you're off and running again. You and I have been playing around with this weight together for a long time now - three years! Let's end this year on a roll and continue our losing ways into next year. 2002 is going to be our year. Deal? By the way, I too, resent drinking points (unless it's wine, of course ), but have decided I must be more diligent in getting in my dairy. So I'll be drinking those points with you.

I had a good day yesterday - even cooked dinner. (Yummy stir-fry veggies from Costco. Try them if you have the opportunity.) And I'm on track for a good day today. I have to start being mindful of not only staying within points, but of spending my points in the most healthy way possible. To that end, I'm concentrating not only on the dairy, as mentioned above, but the fruits and veggies. I always feel so much better, physically and mentally, when I'm spending my points wisely.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 11-13-2001, 03:18 PM   #12  

Jennifa - Thanks for the pep talk! I know what you mean about not being able to eat high fat foods anymore without feeling sick afterwards. That shows how much progress we've made. It makes sense to me about nuts - even though they are high in points, they are also high in protein and they contain "good" fat - another thing we should be eating (in moderation of course).

Karen C - thanks for the hugs! OK, here's a tip. Duncan Hines sells two kinds of muffin mixes that have "Kelloggs All Bran" muffins on the label - apple cinnamon and blueberry. If you make them 12 to a package and use the following substitutions, they are only 1 point each and they are yummy: use 2 egg whites for the 1 egg and substitute 3 tablespoons of apple sauce for the 3 tablespoons of oil. I also spray the insides of the muffin cups with a little Pam first - they have a tendency to stick especially when they are still warm.

Carla - I LOL'd about the wine. That, beer and "spirits" are liquid points I never have a problem with! Yes, yes, yes - you're on - it's a deal. We will end this year on a roll and 2002 will be the year we go down those dress sizes and kick those pounds from here to kingdom come! Yes, the medication and the injuries have been a pain, but the ortho told me I can do the bike (blech!) for the next month so I'm going to stop complaining and get on it for at least 20 minutes a day or at least 3-5 times a week (I can do weights on my left side too as well as leg floorwork). It's not what I like to do (I sure miss my step) but like drinking some points, it's something I need to do to get a move on (literally). So, we have a deal, girlfriend. Wanna join me on exercise (even if it means you get thee to a doctor first). Tell me about the yummy stir fry from Costco - we go to one every couple of months. Is it a particular brand or style? You are right on about spending points on healthy things - I'm right there with you (it was one of the things my leader checked on).

So far so good - I finished my "day" before with a late lunch (we lost power for a couple of hours but thank goodness it's back). I have to keep the points down tonight since I am meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow and it should be about 10 points (a large but tofu, lower fat burrito).
Old 11-13-2001, 04:21 PM   #13  

Judy - If you can suffer on the bike, I can suffer on the bike. I'll join you. I have to if I'm going to join you in kicking those pounds to kingdom come. As for the stir-fry - if I remember correctly the brand was something like Shangai Stir Fry and what I had was the all vegetable version. Comes in a big black bag. The veggies were very fresh tasting and the sauce that came with it was very good. I added some red pepper flakes to give it a kick. They give you two sauce packets with the assumption that you'll use only 1/2 the bag per dinner (which is all you need).

Carla
Old 11-13-2001, 11:09 PM   #14  

Michele - Congratulations on the loss. I am so glad you were able to talk to your boss. Hopefully things will work out now.

Karen B - Hope you had a great OP day.

Karen C - Glad you had a good time in Vegas. I know having my sisters all doing WW while we were in Florida together helped a lot.

Judy - I am so glad you were able to get some help and motivation at your meeting. I'm sure the medication together with not being able to get in your exercise has been the major reason you haven't been losing. I'm glad the word from the orthopedist was good although you are stuck doing the bike for now.

Jennifa - Yea on the looser clothes. That is a great sign that you are losing. I'm sure it was the fat in the chips that made you sick. I have the same problem when I go to the in-laws and eat a bunch of junk that I'm not used to eating any more.

Carla - Good idea concentrating on how you are spending your points. Sounds like you are back in a good frame of mind for losing. Okay, if you and Judy are going to get in your exercise, I guess I'll have to join you.

I decided to read through some of the old posts that I had printed out when I first started coming here and feel much more motivated. The first one I read was by someone who had been in the same position I'm in right now...had lost a lot of weight but had slowly gained 16 back. I haven't been doing a good job of counting points and getting in my exercise, but that stops now. I've gotten out a notebook to write everything down and will get in some exercise tomorrow.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Pat
Old 11-14-2001, 10:56 AM   #15  

Good Morning! Let's all get with the program and concentrate on some exercise today. I was so happy to read you're getting on your bicycles! Me too!

Judy, thanks for the recipe tips. Hope your lunch goes well. Sounds ummm..interesting! Tofu burritos! Enjoy!

Pat, good for you for getting the notebook and jounaling. I find it really keeps me honest.

Today's weighin is the first in two weeks because I was out of town last Wed. Drumroll, please! Minus 6 pounds in two weeks!! I don't trust the scale, and am waiting for my clothes to get a bit looser. I think 6 pounds in two weeks is a bit too much, so I won't be surprised to see the numbers higher tomorrow.

Have a great day.
Closed Thread