Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 08:47 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 10/22 - 10/28

Starting the topic. Be right back.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:58 AM   #2  

Well, I got back to my meeting and was shocked to see that on their scale Saturday morning, I weighed in with a 1.8 pound gain! My sneak peek that morning didn't show more than 1/2 pound up from where I was three weeks ago but I decided that I wasn't going to let that throw me. Counting points from dinner has made me feel so much more in control. I know that I'll see the results on the scale soon. When I got home, I did finally measure myself (which I had been meaning to do for the last month) so I could have another gauge of how I'm doing. I did speak with my meeting leader about counting from dinner and my gain. She agreed that it was OK program-wise and if it helped me feel more in control to keep at it. When she saw that as of Saturday I had earned 10 activity points (that I hadn't used) we decided that I should try to eat 1/2 of my activity points - she said it could work out that on a day that I ate at the lower part of my range and earned a lot of activity points if I didn't eat some of them, I would be effectively be below my minimum.

I did well this weekend even though we had Chinese food on Saturday. I did put quite a dent in my 11 activity points but that's what they are there for. I went for a run/walk yesterday - it was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed it.

Have a great one,
Judy

163.6/158.8/135
Old 10-22-2001, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.

Judy - Sorry to hear about the gain. Just keep plugging along and you know you'll see the results. I think its a wise idea to eat at least some of those activity points. After all, you earn them for a reason. Have to keep your metabolism from thinking you're starving so it stays stoked about.

My weekend was so-so. All three of us were down with colds, especially on Saturday. And I paid the price for my walks on Wednesday and Thursday with a very sore ankle and knee on Friday and Saturday. I was all over the place with my eating, so we'll see what the scale brings on Wednesday.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 10-22-2001, 04:08 PM   #4  

Carla - I'm so sorry the whole family got sick this weekend - I hope you are all feeling better soon. Sorry to hear that your ankle and knee acted up after your walks. May I make a suggestion? Maybe it's time for some physical therapy or something medically supervised. You should be able to walk without problems afterwards. Maybe you need to strengthen some muscles around your knee and ankle? Just a suggestion.

So far so good today. I'm fighting off the urge to eat something high point. I just got back from the orthopedist. I waited almost 2 hours to see him for all of 5 minutes. Of course, since the next step is to get an MRI of my shoulder, I don't suppose there's anything else he could have done but still, I don't appreciate waiting for 2 hrs for an appointment. I know the food won't help the aggravation. I'm hungry though, so I think I'll have a cucumber - crunchy, low point and another veggie.

Judy
Old 10-22-2001, 11:24 PM   #5  

Judy - Sorry about the gain, but it sounds like you didn't let it throw you off. I'm feeling much more in control counting points from dinner too. It helps keep that evening snacking from getting out of hand...I'd eat all of my breakfast and lunch points if I don't watch it. I know what you mean about waiting for a doctor's appointment. Sara had to go back last week to have her thyroid checked again (its normal so she won't need medication). Fortunately he was on time. I was afraid we would have a long wait and I knew all he was going to do was send her to the lab for the blood test.

Carla - Sorry you were all down with colds. Hope you are feeling better, and the ankle and knee are doing better.

I had a pound loss this week. Its not as much as I was hoping, but at least its in the right direction. I walked Saturday and Sunday, but didn't get out today.

Talk to you later.
Pat
(178/149/135)
Old 10-23-2001, 09:10 AM   #6  

Pat - congrtatulations on the loss! That's super. I'm glad to hear that Sara's test came back normal. Yes, counting points from dinner is really helping me stay in my range of points. Now I'd like to see the evidence on the scale!

If you "read" my slight frustration above it's because my sneak peak this morning was terrible - even though I finished last night with 9 points left for breakfast and lunch today. I know that I ate a tiny bit of salty food before dinner but dinner wasn't salty and neither were any of my snacks. I'm hoping that it's because I did some upper body weights last night. I've heard that weight training can make your muscles retain a little water immediately afterwards.

As a wrote, I had a good evening last evening. The fact that the Yanks scored early certainly helped but even so I managed to eat my little Kit Kat bar (which I didn't have over the weekend - I forgot about them, can you believe it?) in 2 parts. What can I say about the game but that it was wonderful. Afterwards, I told Tony that after I finished dancing around when the Yankees won, I realized that the Yankees had provided me with the only pure "joy/laughter/not think of anything else" I've felt since September 11th. I know that's why the stadium was so loud last night - the loudest I've ever heard!

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 10-23-2001, 10:16 AM   #7  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Judy, hang in there. You are staying OP, you are working out. Sooner or later you are going to lose some weight. In the meantime, be happy that you have the opportunity to be healthy and take heart in knowing that you are getting really healthy, no matter what you weigh.

Cece, I hope you feel better soon!

Pepper, I know what you mean about doctors making you wait. Doctors want to know what the office visit experience is like, if you talk to them they will probably try and improve things. I had one appointment where they made me wait over 2 hours. I left and went to another doctor. If you speak up, they will realize that your time is valuable, too.

As for me, DIET??? What's that?? ha ha. Just kidding. The ONLY thing that has been saving me lately is the way I don't stuff myself anymore. As soon as I begin to feel full, I stop eating. Sometimes this leaves a lot of food on the plate. Maybe it's winter coming on, but I have been feeling the urge to stock up on food - just yesterday I wanted food from two different restaurants for lunch! I did stop myself. I have enough padding stored up to last me all winter!
I worked really hard this weekend moving furniture around and doing yard work and washing car, etc. etc. weekendstuff.

My last weigh-in was up but it's also right before TOM and as you all know I am legendary for retaining water. I have tried everything except diuretics, which is the next step. I know I have lost weight because the jeans that I couldn't wear at all before TOM are now loose before TOM. I am glad I don't have a scale, I would be a wreck if I had one.

Maybe this week we should try stopping eating when we start to feel satisfied???
Old 10-23-2001, 02:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.

Judy - Pay no mind to that sneak peek. Keep repeating to yourself: "The sneak peek lies. It is not my friend." Your muscles do retain water after lifting weights so that, combined with some salty food, could be it. Sounds like you have things under control and you will be rewarded for that at the scale. Yes, it is time for some PT on my ankle/knee. In reality I should have done a follow-up visit with an orthopedist after I sprained it, since it was a pretty bad sprain. I have to get my butt to my doctor (I'm overdue for my yearly exam) and I'll ask him for a referral. I don't know why I'm being so apathetic about it all. Probably because I know what I'm going to hear "You need to lose weight."

Pat - Congrats on loosing that pound. Might have been smaller than you wanted, but its one step closer to where you want to be. Glad to hear Sara's test came out fine. So, do we still have a tape date tomorrow?

Jennifa - Ah yes, the oncoming winter and the desire to prepare ourselves for the long hibernation ahead of us. I wish I could hibernate. I know that I want to eat as if I will. Hey, not stuffing yourself, but stopping when you're feeling full is great and is more than 1/2 the battle, I think. Glad to hear those pants are looser even right before TOM. Keep up the good work!

I just got into work about an hour ago. I'm still feeling under the weather. On top of that, we had a thunderstorm last night and it woke up Ana. It took her two hours to go back to sleep - she just kept on talking and talking. I just couldn't make myself get up this morning, so I took it easy. Yesterday for lunch I had a beef stew from Stouffers. It was really good but I noticed that it tasted really salty. I went back and looked at the package and it had 52% of the recommended daily sodium intake. Yikes. Needless to say, I've retained water like crazy. Lesson learned: check for more than the calories, fat, and fiber on those packages.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 10-23-2001, 04:48 PM   #9  

Hi everyone, sorry I'm so late checking in this week, don't know what happened to Monday!

Judy, hang in there! It will show up on the scale eventually. You're doing all the right things, so it simply is taking a while to let go! What did you do to your shoulder? I just realized you've been having trouble with it ever since I found this board. I've been through the mill with a frozen shoulder, and still don't have full movement back. Last time I went to the dr. she wanted me to see the ortho (finally, it started in Jan) and I refused. I've had 6 months of PT and two of therapeutic massage, and I'm not willing to do much more! I know eventually I'll regain full use.

Hi Pat! Congrats on the pound lost forever! I know what you mean about wanting it to be more, and it will, just keep it up.

Carla, take it easy on yourself while you're sick and remember to drink lots of water. Speaking of salty frozen dinners, I was stocking up last week when some were on sale, and after I had them in the cart I remembered to check the sodium (thanks Jennifa) and ended up putting half of them back! I still have a few high salt dinners in the freezer that I don't know if I'll ever eat!

Jennifa, great news about the loose jeans! That's such a great feeling. I think I must be doing the hibernation thing too since I can't seem to satisfy my hunger this week. It must have something to do with the days getting so short because we're back up in the high 80's again.

I've been slacking off on the exercise lately, I shoot for 5 days/week, and have only been getting 4 in, so I really have to work on that. My husband changed shifts and it is having an effect on my exercise schedule. I went to the salon for hair/nails this morning, and everyone raved about how good I looked. Hmm, maybe I should get out more often! Weigh in is tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed! Have a good night.

Last edited by Phoinix; 10-23-2001 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:24 PM   #10  
cookies are for browsers

Yes, Virginia,

PROCESSED FOODS ARE EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop on the edges of the market and you will do ok. It's the stuff in the middle, all the frozen stuff, yes, even the WW stuff, that has a ton of salt and preservatives. When I look at the ingredients list, I have to stop and think about if I really want to put that in my body!

I know everybody has been a bit sickly or injured, but hopefully we will all be going full tilt soon!
Old 10-24-2001, 09:29 AM   #11  

Jennifa - thanks for the encouragement! Sounds like your plan is working for you. I did stop when I was full at dinner and left over a nice portion - it feels good! Way to go on those jeans being loose.

Carla - Sorry to hear Ana had a restless night. I'm sorry to hear that you are still feeling under the weather. here are some get well {{{{HUGS}}}}. I know what you mean about the sodium (see below!). Thanks for your encouragement. "The sneak peek lies. It is not my friend." "The sneak peek lies. It is not my friend." "The sneak peek lies. It is not my friend."

Karen - don't beat yourself up on the amount of exercising you're getting - 4X a week is fanastic! I think it's great that you want to do more, but please take the time to pat yourself on the back - you deserve it! Isn't it great when people notice the progress you've made? It's like icing on the cake - ooops, not a good analogy ;-) Good luck on your weigh in. I aggravated my shoulder early this year by overdoing it a bit on strength training. Then on Easter, I was horsing around with my grandson -and really hurt it. The ortho thinks it's biceps tendonitis - it seems your biceps ends up in your shoulder which is where it hurts.

I had a pretty good day yesterday - I managed to bank a food point and I left some dinner on the plate because I was full and didn't want to stuff. I took yesterday as a rest day - I planned it because I had a late meeting. The sneak peek this morning was frightening but my rings were really, really tight. I know it's water retention but I couldn't figure out what caused it (other than I am starting on PMS timing in a couple of days). I went through everything I ate (and drank) yesterday and found the culprit. Tony was going to be really late and I wanted us to eat together but I was hungry so I opened up a can of V8 we've had in the house for a while and had 2 yummy, filling glasses (no points). Well, this morning I saw that each glass has 26% of the recommended daily sodium intake. With two of them Carla, I matched your sodium intake! I also just remembered that I had a Healthy Choice ham sandwich - more sodium! I'm starting to guzzle right now!

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 10-24-2001, 10:09 AM   #12  

Judy, thanks for the exercise encouragement. I do tend to beat myself up when I don't meet my own expectations. It's the old catholic guilt trip. I got in my exercise early this morning and I'm just going to try to make it a habit to do it before breakfast.

I hope you do get to the ortho about your shoulder because it can just get worse, that's how I got the frozen shoulder, by thinking I could ignore a little tendonitis and eventually it would get better. Instead it froze up and I'm still dealing with it.

Weigh in this morning - down 1.5 pounds. I'm still hoping to be below 200 by my first November weigh in in 2 weeks--3 pounds to make it to 199.5. Boy, it will be soo nice, but if I don't make it by then, I know I will soon after. Of course, that very same day two weeks from now, I'm leaving early in the a.m. to spend 4 days in Las Vegas, and this could be a great challenge for the following week! I'd hate to break 200 only to go back over at the next weigh in. Hopefully, I'll devise some sort of plan to avoid pigging out on the buffets.

Have a great day!
Old 10-24-2001, 11:20 AM   #13  

Hi Ladies! I am new to WW and was wondering if you have room for 1 more. I started WW on 10-8-01 and I am doing the online version from work. I started at 185 (5'9") and have lost 6 pounds so I am now 179. I live in NH, married, have a 10 year old son and work full time. I have been posting at 3FC for over a year and have finally (I think) found my niche. I tried everything from Slimfast, low carb, low fat, diet pills (stupid I know!). Nothing worked! Until now. I don't know what HIT me, but I have a new determination and I AM going to do this. I would love to have a few online friends to help along the way.

Have a great day!
Old 10-24-2001, 11:25 AM   #14  

Default WELCOME MICHELE!

I'm so happy you are joining us, the more the merrier, and of course, the more support for one another. It sounds like you have found your determination, that's great! Like you, I tried a lot of diet programs before I finally found WW at home. Congrats on the super weight loss, keep on keeping on!

Last edited by Phoinix; 10-24-2001 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:38 PM   #15  

Welcome Michele! I'm glad you found us and of course there is room for 1 more. The more people we have the more support, ideas, suggestions and fun. Even though losing the weight has been a struggle for me I think WW is a great plan. I started doing the at home program and now go to meetings too. You are doing great! You sure sound determined and that's super.

Karen - Congratulations on that great loss! Good for you for working out in the morning. A lot of people I know work out in the morning and they say it really helps they stay consistent. Oooh, I love Vegas. Where are you staying? The weather there should be really nice so you should be able to get out for some walks. Buffet suggestions? I'm sure you'll get a bunch of them here. One that's worked for me is to first look at everything they have and decide which 1 or 2dished you really, really want. Have a reasonable portions of those 1 or 2 dishes and load the rest of the plate with veggies, salad, or any other low or no point foods.
Closed Thread