How many calories in a point?

• I found an old weight watchers plan from when I joined many years ago. It was so different back then. Instead of being able to eat a certain number of points there was a certain amount of proteins, fats, breads, etc. that were allowed each day. I notice that this time around I am eating very little fruits and vegetables. Mainly because I hate them and there aren't boxes that must be checked off for each food group so I use all my points on other food (carbs, carbs, and more carbs) and I feel like I'm eating tons more food than I should be. But according to the point system I'm not - most days I don't even use up all my allowed points. So what I'm wondering is how many calories are in a point. I'm thinking about trying to follow the older plan instead 'cause I lost so much more weight doing that than I am doing this new plan.
  • Unfortunately it isn't easy to get an accurate number of calories per point, because fiber and fat is also factored into the formula.

For example, 1500 calories, 30 g of fat and 25 g of fiber is 27 points. If you drop the fiber down to 10 g, it raises to 30 points.

It is safe to say that it is somewhere in the ballpark of 50 calories per point, but over the course of a day, the fat and fiber can change your daily totals.
  • This is a list put out by W/W back from when there were ranges and I broke it down to individual points:

18 points = 1050 calories
    20 points = 1150 calories
    22 points = 1250 calories
    24 points = 1350 calories
    26 points = 1450 calories
    28 points = 1550 calories
    30 points = 1650 calories
    32 points = 1750 calories
    34 points = 1850 calories
    35 points = 1900 calories (Weekly Points Allowance)
    36 points = 2050 calories

Remember this is not always true but a good guide and DOES NOT include the 200-250 calories a day W/W built into the program for free veggies. Fiber reduces points and fat increases points are the 2 factors that may change these up or down but this gives a general idea.