WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 07:41 PM   #1  
Stressed but Sane

Hi everyone---One of the regular posters on the Thrive WW board did a LOT of research about the disputed Baker's Box nutritional information, and with her permission, I am copying and pasting her findings. I hope this puts some minds to rest.

Subject: The Word from WW direct (long ot)
Date: Tue, Jan 23, 2001 7:55 PM
Message-id: <[email protected]>

Hi all,
I've been lurking for several weeks now but haven't posted because of tight schedules...but yes, I am still here and enjoy reading all the posts. Just wanted to let everyone know that I called WW today regarding those Bakers Breakfast Cookies (which I personally love) to find out what they were doing with the point structure after they supposedly "analyzed" the cookies themselves. (I called the number of the back side of the blue points finder). I
was told that "No, WW did NOT obtain a cookie to analyze, no, WW is NOT withholding any information regarding nutritional values of the cookies (they would never do this to us WW members or anybody else per the person I spoke with). They determine the points for any and all food items the same way we are trained to--using the calories, fat, and fiber counts. Granted, the cookies will all be higher in points now because we can only count up to 4
grams of fiber (unless you have chosen to remain on the "old" program). Most of the cookies, using this formula, are now 4 points. The person I spoke with is going to speak with her supervisor to try to determine who is spreading the false information on these boards that the cookies are now 8 points. Apparently they have some means of doing this. Per their office, THIS SIMPLY IS NOT TRUE! The food values are what they are. They would have no
advantage by providing incorrect information on the cookies. They are not a "forbidden" food item, they just are not a WW product and WW would prefer that the cookies are not a main topic of conversation at meetings, however, they can be eaten just like any other food products out there as long as the points are accounted for.

I also contacted Bakers Breakfast Cookies directly (since I only live 2 hours away from them), spoke with the person responsible for determining the nutritional values of their products, and was told by him that their information regarding the values is as accurate as they can possibly make it. They are not trying to deceive us consumers by providing false information, which would get them into a world of trouble if they were and got caught doing
it. It just is not ever a good business practice to try pulling something like that off. Not worth them risking their very successful business for. They are very appreciative of us WW members and the extremely large volume of cookies sold to WW members. Yes, they will be providing an FDA approved label in the future, not because they are required to, but because they receive so many questions for this information from their
customers, many that are WW members.

I made these calls to satisfy my own curiosity since I really do like the cookies for a snack/treat, or even a meal replacement occasionally. I'm passing on to you what I found out. You can use it or toss it--but now I know the facts from the "horse's mouth" as they say. The person at WW also said that they do not recognize or authorize any of the information posted on boards other than the "official" WW board.

Maybe this will help clear up some of the questions and confusion there has been on these cookies. And BTW, the new 2-Point bars are scrumpcious, so they will be giving the cookies a run for their money with me.

Take Care everyone, and I'll start posting soon. Congrats to winners, losers, lifers, newbies, and everyone else :-). Did I cover all my bases, hahaha???!!!
Liz Y
Joined WW 5/29/99
(275-196.8-159)
78.2 lbs GONE!!!

A later email contained the following info:

<<I wouldn't mind at all if you passed along the info. In fact, I chatted with Chris at Baker's today, and reconfirmed what I found out yesterday. Chris said that he had received a telephone call from the person who maintains Dotty's listing of food points. Baker's is considering some changes....i.e. making a veggan cookie using removing the egg whites but the calorie count would top 400 (ouch!!!) and also considering using puffed rice. Chris said that their nutritional labels will be formalized, not as a requirement, but to help eliminate much of the debating that has been going on about these cookies recently. He said that he has received several calls from WW members, and even some leaders, but to the best of his knowledge has never been contacted by the WW corporation to inquire about the cookies. Hopefully, this will once and for all get put to rest. I'm now counting each one as 4 points (since I'm doing the new program right now to jump start a plateau).>>

Old 01-25-2001, 08:08 PM   #2  

Good news indeed, especially since I just received an email from the Bakers people saying that my very first shipment is on its way to me as we speak! I'm looking forward to trying these things, since I've heard so much about them on this site!

Old 01-25-2001, 08:38 PM   #3  

Betsy, thanks for the information. Bumby, look! Betsy's back!

xo Slim
Old 01-25-2001, 09:38 PM   #4  

Nice to have you back, Betsy. We look forward to your well-informed posts. Don't be a stranger.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:50 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Betsy, Thanks much! Even though these things are like doggie biscuits!

Old 01-26-2001, 12:57 AM   #6  
Stressed but Sane

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome-back!

------------------
Betsy
Walking is also ambulation of the mind
Gretel Ehrlich
Old 01-26-2001, 01:21 AM   #7  
Wolfangel

Well I ordered my dog biscuits ...hopefully they will be here some time this year so I can give my two cents. And I'm like Kelly, a very picky eater!

Glad to hear we are going to stick with 4 points per cookie! Phew!

[This message has been edited by Wolfangel (edited 01-25-2001).]

Old 01-26-2001, 03:29 AM   #8  
Stressed but Sane

Well, I certainly wouldn't be a good judge of whether the cookies are fit for human consumption---I'm the one who, as a kid, would get my dog "chocolate" dog biscuits for Christmas...and then eat them myself!

So, of course, I think the cookies are wonderful!!

------------------
Betsy
Walking is also ambulation of the mind
Gretel Ehrlich
Old 01-26-2001, 03:42 AM   #9  

I also called BBCC to tell them about my experience dealing with WakeUp (BAD!!!) and my belief that they have grounds for suing the Healthful Cookie Company, or whatever they are calling themselves. Also to tell them how much I continue to enjoy their product. I'd eat these if I wasn't on WW. I'd just eat them more often!

------------------
There are many paths up the mountain but we'll all reach the peak if we just keep climbing.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:36 AM   #10  

I really appreciate this imfo . I feel sorry for the people at Bakers . There has been too much contraversy . I have never believed the rumors . I contacted B.B. , right after my first cookie , to get the nutritional imformation . They were very nice & helpful . I'm glad to know that Weight Watchers wasn't really a part of this , too . Kathy
Old 01-26-2001, 10:06 AM   #11  

Oh, I hate to stir this up again, because I really, really want to believe Betsy's answer. But on Dotti's site, TWO different people described their leaders reading an "official" pronouncement from WW about the cookies. Leaders--Ann, Dianne, Dina, Elizabeth, etc.--you are keeping your ears to the ground, right? And you'll tell us if you get some "official" word?
Old 01-26-2001, 08:00 PM   #12  

I'll tell if I hear anything official, but I have the feeling that we might be the last to know. In my (limited) experience, our franchise doesn't concern itself with peripheral issues. We are just focused on trying to get our own stuff right.

------------------
Dianne
Lifetime!!
Old 01-26-2001, 10:25 PM   #13  

I'm in a WWI region, and I'll be scouring the next mailing for information. I doubt there will be anything.

Dina
Old 01-26-2001, 11:57 PM   #14  
Puds mum!

You know I understand your concern BUT this is CRAZY!! most every person who counts them as 4 points loses weight as they would with any other 4 point item in place of them. I guess I really don't see what the big deal is and why people just don't believe the company.Do any of you know just what the consequences are for lying about nutritional info? I DO! They could be SHUT DOWN, SUED, OR WORSE!They are first and FOREMOST a BUSINESS!!They wouldn't risk being shut down to cut calories, they would just simply rework the cookies!!! I know this after talking to my stepdad last night who is american and an attorney and deals with this type of stuff all the time. What do you need to prove it? A label? Well.... the label will say what they are telling you! Why would they suddenly change their story. I don't mean to sound mad but everywhere I look it seems people think this is some conspiracy.They are a business!! That would ben in some VERY VERY serious trouble if this was true. I also spoke to my mom who is WW LEADER.... and a lifetime member which I don't tell anyone because when I did I was ALWAYS asked to ask her TONS of questions or about discounts you name it! She doesn't know where anyone got there info! She says if it were the case EVERY WW meeting would have talked about it by now because they DO NOT pick and choose which region gets info and wehich is in the dark!!!!Whew! I just want you all to feel better about these cookies because you like them so much and should not feel bad about eating them!! I don't but that my tastes. Hope this helped! Sorry if I seem mad Im not just having a bad day so I may sound that way.Have a good day.
Old 01-27-2001, 12:04 AM   #15  
imaleader

Can we please put this to rest? I am a WW Leader in NYC and our region is COMPANY owned not franchised. Had there been any "official" announcement, we would all have heard about it. The cookies are cookies. End of story. They now have four points, and they are loaded w/ fiber and healthy ingredients. 4 points is 4 points. There has been no announcement, and I have been in touch w/ the owner and creator of this cookie. They are absolutely acting inside integrity on the nutritional info and everything else they have provided to us, above and beyond the call of duty. Please, everyone, let's not make this bigger than it should be.

Closed Thread