WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 10:32 PM   #1  

Default Stovetop Stuffing??

Hi there, has anyone ever made the stovetop stuffing without butter or with very little butter. I really want to have some but hate to use 4pts for 1/2 cup. Any help would be appreciated.

Brenda
Old 06-14-2001, 01:27 AM   #2  

Hi, Punk--

I try to avoid stuff like prepared stuffing mix, because the salt and preservatives are killer bee, and I'm always up all night drinking water after I eat 'em. But I have certainly made this stuff--as well as Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and similar products--when in a big hurry, and I always cut the recommended fat by 50-75 percent.

As far as I can see, it doesn't affect the taste, but you might want to add a bit of extra liquid to the stuffing as you cook it to avoid dryness. I think the big thing with stuffing is letting it steam long enough, not how much fat goes into it.

I hope that helps--these measurements are all so according to personal taste, and some folks might find my version hopelessly dry!
Old 06-14-2001, 10:35 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

I make it without butter or margarine all the time. However I like the Butterball version better than Stove Top.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:26 PM   #4  

Thanks for the responses.

Shake,
I do try to watch out for sodium too but I am a very unorganized person and also a single mom so I have to use this stuff occasionally. Thanks for the idea on the mac and cheese too, I haven't thought of that.

Hey Kel, I will have to try the butterball version. do you know how many points that and stovetop are if made without the butter?

Thanks
Bren
Old 06-15-2001, 09:10 AM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Hi
I never add butter, oil, or margarine to those mixes and it always works out just fine. You get used to the taste without the fat.
Even when I prepare home cooked rice, I leave out the fat. It's nice and fluffy and saves points.
Good luck!
Old 06-15-2001, 11:14 AM   #6  

Punky, hope I didn't sound like I was passing judgment on you for using processed foods--far from it. That kind of stuff is a lifesaver when we're in a hurry, but man, do I suffer all night after I eat it!

Last night, tired, hot and unwilling to go to the grocery store, I blew 8 precious points on Ramen noodles, and I was up every hour drinking water. Now that I'm eating more healthfully, my body is getting really unforgiving about the occasional salt or fat splurge. You would think it could cut me some slack once in a while, but no.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:51 PM   #7  

ShakeThoseHips,

No way, ofcourse not, I didn't think that at all. For some reason sodium doesn't seem to affect my weight loss much, I don't know why. I don't add salt at all to my food so maybe that is some of it, I guess I am more into carbs than anything but have tried to cut down on those a bit and get in a little more protein, which is where my problem lies. I like meat but I would choose any kind of carb over meat. I am trying to get in my proteins though and less carbs. I really don't eat alot of processed foods but I do enjoy a smart ones a couple times a week. I will definitely try the mac & cheese thing without butter, gosh I love that stuff.

I made the stuffing(stovetop) without butter and it was delicious, I didn't even miss the butter. I ate 1 cup of it but have no idea how many points to count for it. I ended up counting 5 points for it, anyone know how many it should be?

Anyway, thanks everyone.

Brenda
Old 06-18-2001, 05:56 AM   #8  

Default I always count

3pts for 1/2 cup of stuffing even without the butter or margerine..tha is the way I figured it..not sure if it is right but that is they way I count it.
Closed Thread