WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 01:56 PM   #1  

Question

Does anyone have a list of alcohol and their points? I seem to remember reading somewhere, specifically the points for Mike's Hard Lemonade. I tried searching but I couldn't find it. Anybody know? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2001, 10:46 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Mike is 5 points a bottle (I called once). I forget the actual caloires but Doc Otis' Hardlemonade is 5 points (258 calories).
Old 04-17-2001, 11:00 AM   #3  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

YIKES!

Not sure that I would spend that much on one drink! But they are good

Angie
Old 04-17-2001, 06:21 PM   #4  

Yikes! Anybody have any lower point suggestions? I don't like plain beer, so any 'light beer' won't work for me...
Old 04-17-2001, 06:41 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

How about mixed drinks made with water or diet soda? Most shots are only 2 points each. Wine you can have 8 ounces (most of them) for 3 points (4 ounces is 2 points for another 1 point you can have 1 cup / 8 ounces) . Mix 4 ounces of wine with club soda or diet 7UP for 2 points.

There's always light beer with tomato juice (Poor Man's Bloody Mary) up to 6 ounces of beer with the tomato juice is 1 point.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:57 PM   #6  

www.cyberdiet.com has a very complete list of alcoholic drinks under Beverages. I use that site for NI on lots of things!

I buy the little wine bottles that come 4 to a carton for portion control because an open bottle of wine is a dead bottle of wine at my house. Each is 6 oz = 3 pts.

I know you said you don't like Lite Beer, but those who do, I also buy the 7 oz Bud Lites for 1 point. Just right for when you really want a drink but have no points!
Paige
Old 07-29-2001, 01:52 PM   #7  

pulling up
Old 07-30-2001, 11:17 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Posted by mousie on 07-29-2001 at 10:23 AM "I seem to remember seeing in an article in a UK diet magazine that
Smirnoff Ice has 225 calories, no fat no fiber (the UK has had Smirnoff Ice for far, far longer than we have, I was
drinking it all last year! )....."

and both Mike's and Doc Otis are 5 points per 12 oz bottle.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:16 AM   #9  

For the heck of it, pulling this one up too.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #10  

There seems to be some disagreement on wine points--one of you said 8 oz. is 3 points, and another person said 6 oz. is 3 points.

If it's 2 points for 4 oz. (per the WW materials), why wouldn't it be 4 points for 8 oz.? I love wine and I've been counting it 3 points for 6 oz., but I wouldn't mind having 8 oz. for the same 3 points if I can get away with it!
Old 01-09-2002, 04:14 PM   #11  

"My sources" (Corinne Netzer's book and www.calorieking.com) give general info for the average dry wine. Corinne says 25 cal/oz, which would be an even 4 points for 8 oz. Calorie King says 88 cal for 4 oz (22 cal/oz), which puts 8 oz just over the line to 4 points. These are averages and there may be some wines which are less. I think you're safer to go on counting it as 1 point/2 oz, because between the imprecision of your measurements (which probably increases the more you drink) and the uncertainty of the information, it's good to have some room for error.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:43 PM   #12  

I beg your pardon! I do not drunkenly slop wine into my goblet, guesstimating more and more with each glass! I weigh each glassful on my digital scale!

Seriously, thanks for the confirmation, Bumby. (And seriously, I really do weigh each glass. I'm terrible at eyeballing liquid measurements so I weigh EVERYTHING.)
Old 01-09-2002, 05:14 PM   #13  

Well, as often as *I* drink wine, they'd probably have to haul me out from under the table after 8 ounces.

Just checking--you know that 8 oz on the scale and 8 fluid ounces in the measuring cup are only equal for water, or other things with the same density, right? Don't want to insult your intelligence but sometimes people miss this point. Are you weighing out 8 oz? You might be shortchanging yourself if wine is heavier than water, which I sorta think it might be, if only by a tiny bit. You could test. Get someone you trust to put equal amounts (by volume) of water and your favorite wine on the scale and compare. Who knows? You might get an extra sip here.

I weigh most things, too, but they usually have a little thingy on the package that tells me how much to weigh out, like the grated cheese that says 1/3 cup but ALSO says something like 28 g.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:23 PM   #14  

Thank God I'm not reading this after a glass of wine, or I'd be even more confused. I've been weighing by putting my wine glass on the scale, turning it on (so that the wine glass doesn't get weighed, of course) and then adding wine until I get 4 oz. or 6 oz. or whatever I'm looking for. It hadn't occurred to me that wine might weigh more than water for the same volume--thanks for the heads up.

But here's where I get lost. How can I compare the volume of X oz. of wine and water without using a liquid measuring cup? And why don't those damn winemakers label their bottles like human beings?
Old 01-09-2002, 07:13 PM   #15  

Well, you could do it this way:
Put one of your drinking glasses on the scale and tare it. Now take it off and fill it with water. Mark a line with lipstick on the outside to the level you fill it. Weigh it. Pour out the water. Fill it to the line with wine. Weigh it again. Compare. Now, this won't give you the weight-per-fluid-ounce of wine OR water, but it will tell you if it is very close or not. My husband thinks it would be close enough not to make a difference, and, in fact, guessed wine would be lighter, which you would not want to know!
Closed Thread