WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/205

Height: 5'6"

Default Pts plus vs old points

I am presently using the old style of calculating point with good results. Should I consider changing over to points plus? If so, what makes it a better program?
Scraffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm doing WW for the first time with points plus and basically maintaining. I think I will have to stop using all the points to actually lose more. If what you are doing is working, I would stick with it. Good luck!
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #3  

I lost 35 pounds on old point system (now all back plus ) When point plus came out I could not loose...Basically gave up. Now I am back and trying the points plus again so far so good only thing I do different is I am allowed 41 points with fruits suppose to be zero points I backed down points to 35 and it seems to be working I cant eat all those point plus all the "free" fruit and veggies it just did not work for me apparantly I need to account for everything that goes into my mouth good luck
ncpatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #4  
adlea

S/C/G: 213/177/160

Height: 5'9"

The points plus program counts fruits and veggies as no points. The other food points have increased a bit but if you are comfortable and losing on the old program stick with it. I have had excellent results with the points plus and I have been on and off WW since 1964. Doing great this time and recommend it to all.
adlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I saw an increase in my rate of weight loss when I changed from points to points plus back when they first introduced it. I would say that had less to do with the points plus being so superior and more to do with that fact that it was kind of like being new again. I had been slacking off on my tracking and the new system got me paying more attention and tracking more strictly again. So if you feel like you're in a rut or things are slowing down, I think the change can definitely be a good thing.

Otherwise, the two systems are pretty similar. You'll have more points per day, but some things will cost more points too. Typically it's those things that were never the wisest use of your points in the first place (like 100 calorie snack treats) that you see go up, while your better choices will probably stay around the same points. So it does encourage you to make more healthful decisions with your points, which I like.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 07-26-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

If you like convenience foods, it's a lot easier to follow the new plan, because the advertised points are correct. Plus, all current cookbooks and recipes from the WW website are all converted, so you will have to recalculate all of this if you go with the old plan.

If you mainly eat the same thing, or eat mostly whole foods, or just eat most of your meals at home, then it's pretty easy to convert. You just have to make sure you never mix the two plans. To me, it just seems like too much trouble to stick with the old plan!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I still use the old points plan too, mainly because I have all the books and it works for me.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #8  
Returning Lfe-timer

S/C/G: 176/160/145

Height: 5ft 1in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraffy View Post
I am presently using the old style of calculating point with good results. Should I consider changing over to points plus? If so, what makes it a better program?
I like that the new way incorporates protein rather than calories. Because fruit is zero, it makes my green smoothies easier to calculate. Also I choose fruit more often than other small sweet snacks. I do have a tendency to overdo the fruit so I considered adding a point for each fruit after the third one of the day.
kit1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/237/180

Height: 5'7"

The old points work best for me. I noticed a bigger difference in weight loss than I did with the Plus program.
Wanderlust47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust47 View Post
The old points work best for me. I noticed a bigger difference in weight loss than I did with the Plus program.
Me too. I think it may be the "free" veggies and fruits. I basically follow flex/momentum except I don't count the first 5 servings of fruit/veggies. It's working for me.

Last edited by amandie; 01-07-2014 at 06:06 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

Several points.

There are differences between Points and Points Plus. Points Plus gives a more accurate way of determining points. Basically it takes more calories to digest protein than it does carbs. So a food that has a lot of carbs will be more points plus than a food with a lot of protein since your body doesn't burn up as much calories in digesting the protein as the carbs.

Also - rightly or wrongly - WW sort of subtly encourages you to eat more protein since the formula - which is now based on carbs and protein as well as fat and fiber - disadvantages carbs as compared to protein. That said, WW also wants to encourage eating more healthy carbs such as fruit/vegetable so with points plus those are zero point foods.

Some people had problems the first year points plus came out because WW really gave some people - particularly those who weighed say 200 pounds or less too many points plus. I started out with 29 points when Points Plus came out when nowadays I would have started with 26 points plus. Some people for that reason found it hard to lose. Now, people start out with the lower points plus from the beginning so there isn't that issue.

The other reason some people had difficulty early on was that they went hog wild with fruit. They basically saw zero point as being "free" and like it had no calories. Some fruit is very low calorie. But other fruit (such as bananas) can really add a lot when eaten with abandon. Basically if you stick to 5 f/v servings a day that isn't likely to be a problem

I personally prefer points plus:

1. It is backed by more up to date science. I think that carbs and protein should be taken in to account in determining points plus, not just fat and fiber.

2. All the current products use PP. When you see a food in the grocery store with points on it, they mean points plus. WW materials use Points plus. So, it is easier to just use Points Plus.

All of that said - losing weight while eating healthy is the goal (I would hope). So if you can do that better using the points plan then I have no issue with that. I would suggest trying to current program first simply because it is easier to use the current program. But, in the end, it is what works best for the individual that really matters.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #12  
kelsmom51

Default kelsmom

I am having trouble remembering how to convert the points. I have not been on the program for 3 years. I have the info. But that is one I can not remember can someone tell me how to get the points of dinners in the grocery store. Not WW but most dinners that are some times cheaper. help please.
kelsmom51 is offline   Reply With Quote