WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #1  
Onederland Bound!

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

Default WW Snack Bars: Shocked!

When I go into any grocery store I read the nutritional/ingredients list before purchasing the product but today was different. For some reason when I went into WW I purchased a few boxes of their Treat bars (Mint Chocolate, Chocolate Pretzel and Pecan Clusters) without reading the information because the words "2 point per bar" just stuck out at me! Well I was REALLY surprised and dissapointed when I got home and sat down and read the ingredients to find that 5-7 of the top ingredients listed were sugar in one form or another As someone that is trying to live healthier this was dissapointing but I'm also a Type 2 diabetic and dealing with cancer so sugar is NOT my friend. That will teach me for assuming that just because it's endorsed by a company as great as WW it doesn't mean it's particularly the best choice. I think I'll stick with my fruits

Last edited by SweetTreat80; 08-02-2011 at 09:37 PM.
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Oh yes. Sometimes they've got good things going for them, but since a lot of WW foods are low fat, they pumped them up with sugar or artificial sweeteners to make them taste better.

While I do like some of their snack bars and things from time to time (they used to sell peanut butter treats at the meetings), I recognized that for non-treat food I just enjoy the regular brands I buy.

Sorry that you won't be able to use them! Hopefully you have a friend/neighbor that would be willing to take them off your hands!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

Yes they are not great. Realistically they are meant to be a transition between eating say a high calorie candy bar or a bag of potato chips, etc. When people first start even with sugar and other refined carbs these can at least be better than what was being eaten before.

That said, I think they could make these have fewer refined carbs and they would be better. For that type of snack thing I tend to eat certain Atkins bars. They do use sugar alcohols (which bother some but not me) and they have fewer refined carbs and more fiber usually. They are not low fat but that doesn't bother. More points but I find them more satisfying.

Still I really don't eat that kind of thing very much any more.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I totally agree with you, but I sill LOVE the pretzel blast bar. However, I do eat them sparingly as a candy or treat, not like a healthy snack option! Theya re pretty amazing!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I like many of the bars on dietdirect.com. They are relatively low carb and don't spike my blood sugar
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #6  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

I think it was last month I got a fruit and nut bar to try as part of some survey about a newer, more natural line of snack bars that might be carried in the WW locations. (I imagine that's if the feedback went well anyway hehe.) I thought the ingredients list for the bar I got was very decent and natural, and the bar was tasty. They at least seem to be considering folks that are more concerned about what the ingredients label says, so hopefully they decide/decided to go ahead in that direction.

It still wouldn't be a regular snack option for me, but something like that has its usefulness occasionally.

Also I have never tried that pretzel blast bar, but sometimes I find myself staring at the box during the meeting because it just looks so good!

Last edited by Somni; 08-04-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #7  

I've emailed them before and asked if they're going to create some lower-sugar desserts (I used to love their sundaes!), but I just get one of the template emails about considering customers ideas and forwarding them on to marketing . I'll usually opt for a Pure Protein bar (if I just want a snack, I'll chop it in half!).
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #8  

WW always stresses we can eat anything in moderation and that means we can have an occasional sugary treat. This is a lifestyle change, not cutting any foods completely.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #9  
Onederland Bound!

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

To be honest I find that I can buy something at my local store and it's got less sugar and less points then the WW snacks! Although I will agree with jen516 the pretzel blast bar is yummy!

Riemontana I will check that site out and see what they have to offer.
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #10  
On the wagon again

S/C/G: 201/188/155

Height: 5'7"

They're good (and addictive) but I find that they're just so....fake. It's not real food, or anything like it. But man, it hits the spot.
Laurabelle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #11  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

I like WW dessert products but I view them as an occasional treat and not an everyday necessity. For the points and nutrition, I'd rather have some full-fat ice cream or "real" food.
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I look at the WW snacks as teaching us portion control. I could count regular tater chips out of a big bag, but it's easier to grab the WW pop chips, or a pretzel blast bar.

Eat one and you're done.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote